Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp?

The time has come to decide if you offer arbitration to Papi knowing he will probably accept and he will get a raise from the $12.5 he got last year or do you let him walk knowing he will go to the highest bidder with the Sox getting no compensation?  The Sox could be the highest bidder and might get him for less than the raise above $12.5--what should Ben do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp?

AT 10:59pm........ AS JOHN CASH WOULD SAY.....WALK THAT LINE !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Unless they offer him a new contract within the next couple of hours, they will definately offer Papi arbitration.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp?:
    Unless they offer him a new contract within the next couple of hours, they will definately offer Papi arbitration.
    Posted by bgomez
    THAT IS NOT A GIVEN !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If they don't offer arbitration, they don't get compensation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

They will offer him arbitration, it's a no-brainer.......You either get him for one more year (which is what many people would like) without the 2/3 year contract he was seeking or you get the picks......seems like a no brainer to me!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

They will offer him arbitration, it's a no-brainer.......You either get him for one more year (which is what many people would like) without the 2/3 year contract he was seeking or you get the picks......seems like a no brainer to me!
    Posted by stodknocker

I have to agree, going year to year with Papi, makes the most sense. The only downfall is that a strictly DH in this era of 12 and 13 player pitching staffs limits bench. Teams now rotate the DH spot which gives them more flexibility on bench players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

Yeah it's a win/win for the Sox. I'd be happy either way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd say yes.  Pretty close.  My druthers would be for Papi to decline, we take the picks (?), and sign a good righty to play RF/DH, but if he accepts, he's still a pretty good hitter with only a one-year commitment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My concern if he stays--you lose the flexibility of the DH being a position player that needs a day off from the field. 

I would rather pay Beltran the money than to  pay Papi--play him in right, DH
    Youk with an occasional start at first and third.

You offer Arb to Papi and it's not a win win--Papi accepts Arb and will be paid 
    $14 M next season. He will wait knowing he'll be getting a nice raise and if somone is crazy enough to offer him a two year deal for $20 M great then we win with picks. Personally I would not offer Arb and move on--giving up Papi and the picks.

Arb to Papi could very well mean that Youk will be traded as we have 3 b's that are better defensively than Youk and are not as injury prone. We need the righthanded bat more than an overpriced one dimensional DH that is lefthanded.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by stodknocker
      YA THINK !!  I THINK NOT..... ARB, MEANS ANOTHER AT 12MIL+ AND ANOTHER YEAR OF GROUND BALLS INTO THE SHIFT...... LUCCIANO's SAYS CUT THE CORD AND MOVE ON !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The sad thing is he isn't worth $14M anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

S I G N  P A P I

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

this team already seems to be cash strapped.  offer him a 1 plus a team 1 at a reasonable price or cut ties and use that money somewhere else.  the sox have plenty of bats now but have seemingly large gaps to fill.  as much as i like Papi, i have liked many red sox that were let go.  i think the team will get over it if he is not here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i think that keeping ortiz on a one year deal is the best way for both the sox and ortiz.

he proved this year that he was pretty motivated to produce (got into better shape and maintained it, drove the ball to left and centerfield against lefties, etc), and it very well could have been due to him wanting another contract.

ortiz may be one of those guys who could get fat and happy with a multi year deal at this time in his career.

even the good DH guys out there in the last couple of years (damon and guerrero as examples) have had to settle for far less than 12 M per year so i doubt that ortiz does better than taking the arbitration from the sox which will get him 13-14 M for one season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

No arbitration.... than sign him for one year at about 8 m.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp? :   YA THINK !!  I THINK NOT..... ARB, MEANS ANOTHER AT 12MIL+ AND ANOTHER YEAR OF GROUND BALLS INTO THE SHIFT...... LUCCIANO's SAYS CUT THE CORD AND MOVE ON !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

I was under the impression that an arbitrar would decide to give Papi the market rate for a DH which is lower than $12 mil. per year. Larry's last name is LUCCHINO and you can't speak for him.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The people that want depth from the DH make make me smile. So the Sox should play one bench player each game just so they can rest there starters? It really makes no sense. You have a player that can and is pretty good doing something you are about to make a hole in your lineup, and it makes no sense, if you need to give Youk a day out of the field you can bench Ortiz and still have that bench player get some ab's. How about this we will get 13 switch hitting utility players, all mediocore but hey no one would get tired.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Do you offer Papi Arbitration or let him Walk with no Comp? : I was under the impression that an arbitrar would decide to give Papi the market rate for a DH which is lower than $12 mil. per year. Larry's last name is LUCCHINO and you can't speak for him.
    Posted by UticaClub
    WELL SON IT'S LIKE THIS...... HISTORY SHOWS THAT ARBITRATION ALWAYS GOES WITH WHAT WAS PAID ON THE LAST CONTRACT AND THEN $OME......  BUT, WHO AM I TO BE OFFERING AN OPINION HERE !!!  ALSO, I CAN'T SPEAK FOR LUCCIANO's, BUT I KNOW WHAT HE I$ THINKING !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The sox have until 11:00 pm tonight to make the offer. If they do offer it, the outcome will not be in ortiz's favor.
    Posted by jackbu

The Sox would love to be committed to Ortiz(or any player that has his numbers) for one season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

what make you think papi will be happy with one year? I think you let him walk.. time to move on. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Arbitration is based on the what happens across the major leagues and not on one player's most recent contract.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Arbitration is based on the what happens across the major leagues and not on one player's most recent contract.
    Posted by UticaClub

The arbitration criteria in the soon-to-expire Collective Bargaining Agreement include, among other factors:

"... the record of the Player’s past compensation, comparative baseball salaries ..."

See Article VI, Section F(12) on Page 18 of the 2007-2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Sections
Shortcuts