Do You Remember Your 1st Game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game?

1966 I saw the Sox play the Washington Senators. Frank Howard hit a towering HR over the green monster and the Sox lost. It was still a great experience and where my love for Boston sports started.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

1959 I was nine and it was misty and cloudy. Worst of all Ted did not play. Don't remember who they played or who won, I think they lost which was not unusual then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My little league team got to go to Fenway in 1969 because we had won the Dartmouth Mass. championship the year before. We all sat in the 1st base box seats and I got to meet George Scott. It was very cool and a memory I've always cherished. George was wearing his necklace made out of second basemen's teeth too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game?:
    My little league team got to go to Fenway in 1969 because we had won the Dartmouth Mass. championship the year before. We all sat in the 1st base box seats and I got to meet George Scott. It was very cool and a memory I've always cherished. George was wearing his necklace made out of second basemen's teeth too.
    Posted by carnie

He was a great defender, but apparently is largely forgotten by the media, amongst the references to Wes Parker, K. Hernandez, Mattingly, etc. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : He was a great defender, but apparently is largely forgotten by the media, amongst the references to Wes Parker, K. Hernandez, Mattingly, etc. 
    Posted by nhsteven
    A great defender with serious pop in his bat, and a larger than life personality. I heard he published a book recently, although I haven't read it yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

My father and I took a Greyhound bus from a neighboring state to watch the Chicago White Sox host my Minnesota Twins in a doubleheader at old Comiskey Park on August 28, 1966. I recall the green expanse of the field, the smells of peanuts, beer and cigarette smoke, and the upper-level overhang seating at the ballpark.

The Pale Sox swept the twinbill, although my childhood hero, Harmon Killianbrew, homered in each game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA196608281.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA196608282.shtml

The first game went 15 innings and the second game 11 innings. When the nightcap approached extra innings, my father announced that we needed to leave to catch the return bus home. Indignant and six weeks shy of my 11th birthday, I told him he could leave but that I would find my way back to Iowa on my own.

My father and I stayed until the end, caught a later bus and arrived back in my hometown at 6:45 am, about an hour before my father reported to work. My mother was a saint that day as well because it was my parents' 17th wedding anniversary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Some great stories so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

My game

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=196507220NYA

I asked my uncle why they kept mooing when Moose Skowron (For the WSox, he was traded already) was fielding pregame groundballs. He explained it.

As an 11 yr old, I was wondering why Mickey looked so drowsy during BP (He was the only guy to swing and miss at BP pitches). I figured that out eventually. He also looked like he could barely walk, and hobbled to get to fly balls.

Batters were flailing at Ford's pitches, who went the distance in the win, allowed 1 Run, and K'd 10. (That was alot then) He was at the end of his career, so it was probably the vaseline ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

1950 sat in left field and cheered for Ted. By the way George(Boomer) Scott played in Pittsfield for the Sox. On the last day of the season,late in the game, he hit a home run that won the pennent, the home run title, and the rbi title. At least that is the way i remember it. He was a GREAT defender

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I don't remember my first game but my dad said I had a good time.
    I little off topic but I would like to share a memory or two.

I remember hearing the sox on the radio most every night in my home.  I can see dad sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee while he listened to the game.

I have so many happy memories at Fenway with my dad, it would be impossible to write about them. When I go there I still feel like I'm spending time with him.

One of my last and favorite memories is of my dad walking toward Fenway holding the hands of my two sons, one just turned three while the other just turned six. I thought of all the times he went there as a kid and all the times he brought me. It was a very touching moment.

He died twenty one years ago today and was buried on opening day. 

After the funeral I was at my parents home and heard the sox on the radio. For one second I thought my dad was sitting on the porch listening to the game. 

I purchased a Fenway brick for my dad so he will always be a part of the park he loved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My first game was in Sept. 1974 against the Brewers.  Sox won 8-6.  The next two games were against the Yankees.  In 1975 I saw the Sox play the Yankees and the A's.  In one of the A's games Yaz and Reggie Jackson both homered.  The guy I was with was a big Yankees fan and he took a nice picture of Catfish Hunter before one of the games.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't remember my first game but my dad said I had a good time. I little off topic but I would like to share a memory or two. I remember hearing the sox on the radio most every night in my home.  I can see dad sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee while he listened to the game. I have so many happy memories at Fenway with my dad, it would be impossible to write about them. When I go there I still feel like I'm spending time with him. One of my last and favorite memories is of my dad walking toward Fenway holding the hands of my two sons, one just turned three while the other just turned six. I thought of all the times he went there as a kid and all the times he brought me. It was a very touching moment. He died twenty one years ago today and was buried on opening day.  After the funeral I was at my parents home and heard the sox on the radio. For one second I thought my dad was sitting on the porch listening to the game.  I purchased a Fenway brick for my dad so he will always be a part of the park he loved.
    Posted by 67redsox

This was so touching, I read it twice. Thanks for sharing this memory. Remembering my dad, and as a dad myself, it struck a chord for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I don't remember my first game but my dad said I had a good time. I little off topic but I would like to share a memory or two. I remember hearing the sox on the radio most every night in my home.  I can see dad sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee while he listened to the game. I have so many happy memories at Fenway with my dad, it would be impossible to write about them. When I go there I still feel like I'm spending time with him. One of my last and favorite memories is of my dad walking toward Fenway holding the hands of my two sons, one just turned three while the other just turned six. I thought of all the times he went there as a kid and all the times he brought me. It was a very touching moment. He died twenty one years ago today and was buried on opening day.  After the funeral I was at my parents home and heard the sox on the radio. For one second I thought my dad was sitting on the porch listening to the game.  I purchased a Fenway brick for my dad so he will always be a part of the park he loved.
    Posted by 67redsox

Great story 67 thanks for sharing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

greetings 67 For one second I thought my dad was sitting on the porch listening to the game.   I can feel that it took me a couple a yrs B4 I stop thinking   I had to call dad every time I heard news about the yanks dads & baseball it doesn't get much better than that ok moms & BB might be OK too ;-) I don't remember my 1st game ( or my last one) but I remember that feeling I got / get seeing the green grass  walking thru the tunnel
    Posted by pinstripezac
    I was thinking the same thing, almost, reading summer's post. Even though I went to my first professional baseball game in 1969, my earliest baseball memories (outside of neighborhood pickup games) are of listening to the Red Sox on the radio with Vane and Wes Bates, my granddad and dad. That was a magical summer, and I'll always admire Bob Gibson for what he did that fall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I was about 12.  My dad took me took me to Tiger stadium, might have been Briggs then.  Williams put one up on the roof in right field in the 9th that eventually won the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Do You Remember Your 1st Game?:
    I thought I'd share; the site it references ( http://retrosheet.com/ ) did have my 1st game (Before the predatory Domain brokers bought it, instead, I found it on www.baseball-almanac.com ); my uncle took me (My Dad wasn't interested) http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/do-you-remember-your-first-ball-game/?ref=sports
    Posted by nhsteven
      April 23, 1969. Senators at Fenway. Ted Williams' return to Fenway, as Senators' manager. A smattering of applause, 28000 fans, Tony C. homered, Sonny Siebert pitching his first game for the Nats after being acquired from the Indians in a trade for Hawk Harrelson 4 days earlier. 9-3 Washington.
     I was 13 and was brought there by my baseball coach. I was overwhelmed by the green of everything, and the net above the Green Monster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Do You Remember Your 1st Game? :   April 23, 1969. Senators at Fenway. Ted Williams' return to Fenway, as Senators' manager. A smattering of applause, 28000 fans, Tony C. homered, Sonny Siebert pitching his first game for the Nats after being acquired from the Indians in a trade for Hawk Harrelson 4 days earlier. 9-3 Washington.  I was 13 and was brought there by my baseball coach. I was overwhelmed by the green of everything, and the net above the Green Monster.
    Posted by NHBALLFAN

The green (in my case, YS) is overwhelming in your 1st game, and it was shocking to me especially since I watched all games to that point on B&W TV. Others mention this also. Thanks for reminding me.

BTW, notice how pike has not touched this thread; he is truly what he accuses others of, that is, a troll.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

September 28, 1960 @ Fenway. Sox and Orioles.
    I was all of five years old and my dad took the afternoon off to bid Ted Williams goodbye.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/hub_fans_bid_kid_adieu_article.shtml

"Like a feather caught in a vortex, Williams ran around the square of bases at the center of our beseeching screaming. He ran as he always ran out home runs—hurriedly, unsmiling, head down, as if our praise were a storm of rain to get out of. He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

greetings 67 For one second I thought my dad was sitting on the porch listening to the game.   I can feel that it took me a couple a yrs B4 I stop thinking   I had to call dad every time I heard news about the yanks dads & baseball it doesn't get much better than that ok moms & BB might be OK too ;-) I don't remember my 1st game ( or my last one) but I remember that feeling I got / get seeing the green grass  walking thru the tunnel
    Posted by pinstripezac

Hey Zac,

Funny how April 4th and opening day still bring up such vivid memories of my dad.  I'm going to be a grandmother this September but some how the memories of my dad and the sox bring me back to my youth.

It's good to share these great memories with friendsSmile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Do You Remember Your 1st Game?:
    I thought I'd share; the site it references ( http://retrosheet.com/ ) did have my 1st game (Before the predatory Domain brokers bought it, instead, I found it on www.baseball-almanac.com ); my uncle took me (My Dad wasn't interested) http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/do-you-remember-your-first-ball-game/?ref=sports
    Posted by nhsteven

Steve,

I think I remember us talking about this a season or two ago.

First game was in '64, at Fenway, against the Tigers.  Lost 6-4, if I recall correctly.

It was a good night ... but going home with the loss left a sour taste.  Or maybe that was my irritating little brother ...   heh.

8 in the bleachers, $1 buck a piece.

Whew...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

1952 - mid-July game against the St. Louis Browns.  Sox won.  Following the game, Ted Lepcio stood on the corner of Lansdowne St. waiting for a cab and signed autographs for anyone who asked.  He was a rookie and didn't know any better. :)  But he remains one of my all time favorites.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : The green (in my case, YS) is overwhelming in your 1st game, and it was shocking to me especially since I watched all games to that point on B&W TV. Others mention this also. Thanks for reminding me. BTW, notice how pike has not touched this thread; he is truly what he accuses others of, that is, a troll.
    Posted by nhsteven
     And no one has called me "Pike" on this thread, yet.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It seems that Dad's and baseball go hand in hand. Not bad, not bad memories at all.

This is the reason to discuss the game; our best memories and similarities between so many of us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : LOL...I'm only a "kid" to an old geezer like you!!
    Posted by TBINFL

ha! you really know how to hurt a guy!!lol. I'll have you know that I've earned every gray hair on my head my young upstart friend. Just remember one thing babe, it's not how old you are it's how physically fit you keep yourself and what you put into your body.Cool

Sections
Shortcuts