Do You Remember Your 1st Game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Do You Remember Your 1st Game?

I thought I'd share; the site it references ( http://retrosheet.com/) did have my 1st game (Before the predatory Domain brokers bought it, instead, I found it on www.baseball-almanac.com); my uncle took me (My Dad wasn't interested)

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/do-you-remember-your-first-ball-game/?ref=sports

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game?

My first game was at the LA Colisuem when I was 6. Dodgers/Giants in 1959.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game?:
    [QUOTE]My first game was at the LA Colisuem when I was 6. Dodgers/Giants in 1959.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Cool.

My friend recently complained that when his parents took him to Ebbets Field he was bored; I guess if you're not into it, that's the case. However, I was a Mantle worshipper (his warts, like others, were not common kowledge at the time), wich piqued my interest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Boy do I remember my first game. It was 4 days after my 10th birthday back in August, 1958. The sox were playing the yankees and Mickey Mantle hit a monster of a home run. my dad took me and as a 10 year old it was the greatest day of my life.

rev 1: it was also the first time that I saw my hero ted williams play and he was out in left field. dad and I got there early enough to see batting practice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Boy do I remember my first game. It was 4 days after my 10th birthday back in August, 1958. The sox were playing the yankees and Mickey Mantle hit a monster of a home run. my dad took me and as a 10 year old it was the greatest day of my life.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way; I was 11. Billy Crystal said the same thing in City Slickers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : Cool. My friend recently complained that when his parents took him to Ebbets Field he was bored; I guess if you're not into it, that's the case. However, I was a Mantle worshipper (his warts, like others, were not common kowledge at the time), wich piqued my interest.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I don't remember much except that Wally Moon hit a home run. But the names I will never forget: Gil Hodges, Duke Snider, Jim Gilliam, Charlie Neal, to name a few.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

pretty cool steve! that day I was totally infected by the baseball bug and have been a hugh fan ever since. Of all the sports, I love baseball the most.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Don't remember much.  I know it was vs. the White Sox.  1978.  Can't remember the game at all.  But, I can still recall the awe I felt and the overwhelming beauty when I walked up the voms and out into the Fenway afternoon sunlight for the first time like it was yesterday: the emerald green grass, the home whites like shining, the monstah looming.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I sure do, as if it was yesterday........   As an 8 year old "all world 2nd baseman" in little league, climbing aboard the yellow school buses in your heavy uniform with a bag of candy and a box lunch, with the lunch spot at the Blue Hills parking lot on the way to Fenway Paaaak via the "Old Brown Jug" and "worlds largest hotdog" in the Matterpan area of Boston.   (CIRCA  1955).........   Only my love of the NAVY got in the way of being the starting 2nd baseman for Dick Williams in 1967  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Good story, Bill, but Mike Andrews was pretty good that year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

first game was "triple a" toronto maple leafs vs rochester,1961,....a white haired sparky anderson was the toronto 2nd baseman,looked like an old-timer  even back then

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I remember it well - summer - 1963 and it was a belated gift for my 5th b-day from my father.

I was amazed by Yankee Stadium - the size alone was mind boggling. The grass was so green.

Sat on the 3B side (reserved seats $2.50 each). The old man taught me how to keep a scorecard and bought me my first team banner (pennant). And on the banner, it read "Home of the Champions. Had my first hot dog, soda and ice cream by the 4th inning.

Cleveland beat NY that day 7 -4. Mantle didn't play as he was hurt most of that year. As we were leaving the stadium and headed to the #4 train I asked him if Yankee Stadium was now the home of the Indians and were the Indians now champions. He smiled, picked me up and whispered, no mio figlio, NY will always be home of the champions. Funny thing was he was a Cards fans.

I think the total cost of that afternoon was less than $10 for everything, including subway fare.

I also remember that when we got back to the neighborhood, he took me to his favorite little Italian Bar and Grill for Ravioli's. It was called Dino's Bar & Grill. Who knew that 15 years later, me and the boys would still be hanging out there while blasting Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town".

I miss my old man. Whatever afterlife he is in right now, he is probably waving a St. Louie pennant at me that reads "Home of the Champions".

Best memory a son could have.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

my 1st game was actually a Mets-Stros' game..was just happy to be there with my Dad, that day i knew i'd inherit his love of the game...(miss you pop)...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

My first game was August 6, 1979.

It is famous for Bobby Murcer delivering the eulogy of Munson, then the team flew back to NY. Martin wasn't even going to play Murcer that night but Murcer insisted on playing and drove in all the Yanks runs in a 5-4 win over the orioles.

But as a 10yr old at the time, I didn't know much about eulogies and such.

I just remember being very excited to see my favorite pitcher Louisiana Lightning pitch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]My first game was August 6, 1979. It is famous for Bobby Murcer delivering the eulogy of Munson, then the team flew back to NY. Martin wasn't even going to play Murcer that night but Murcer insisted on playing and drove in all the Yanks runs in a 5-4 win over the orioles. But as a 10yr old at the time, I didn't know much about eulogies and such. I just remember being very excited to see my favorite pitcher Louisiana Lightning pitch.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Now that is a good first game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : Not that is a good first game.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

The downside is I never got to see Munson live. 

But my brother and I watched him plenty of times on WPIX.

I will always remember the Gallo cartoon in the NYDN

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : The downside is I never got to see Munson live.  But my brother and I watched him plenty of times on WPIX. I will always remember the Gallo cartoon in the NYDN
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Back in the 70's, I always got seats behind home plate whenever I could. Munson was the perfect catcher in my eyes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : Back in the 70's, I always got seats behind home plate whenever I could. Munson was the perfect catcher in my eyes.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I agree. Or at least the perfect catcher for that team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : The downside is I never got to see Munson live.  But my brother and I watched him plenty of times on WPIX. I will always remember the Gallo cartoon in the NYDN
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

well babe, I got to see him play. he and fisk were about as hard nosed as any catcher that played in the bigs. their battles were legendary. and I'll tell you one other thing babe, I might be a die hard red sox fan but when I learned that Munson had died it really made me feel bad because I very much respected him as a ball player. he always came to play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : I agree. Or at least the perfect catcher for that team.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

I still take Munson any day of the week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : well babe, I got to see him play. he and fisk were about as hard nosed as any catcher that played in the bigs. their battles were legendary. and I'll tell you one other thing babe, I might be a die hard red sox fan but when I learned that Munson had died it really made me feel bad because I very much respected him as a ball player. he always came to play.

Oh I got to see him plenty on TV, just not live at The Stadium.

I agree, those two were the heart and soul of their respective teams.

That cartoon still makes me sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : Oh I got to see him plenty on TV, just not live at The Stadium. I agree, those two were the heart and soul of their respective teams. That cartoon still makes me sad.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

I hear ya man! my gawd babe your still a kid! you were born in 1969. I was already in the army and going through jump school. I was 21. However, that said, the best song bryan adams ever sang was "the summer of 69"....and I agree, that cartoon does make you sad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do You Remember Your 1st Game? : I hear ya man! my gawd babe your still a kid! you were born in 1969. I was already in the army and going through jump school. I was 21. However, that said, the best song bryan adams ever sang was "the summer of 69"....and I agree, that cartoon does make you sad.

LOL...I'm only a "kid" to an old geezer like you!!

Tongue Out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I went to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field in 1967. I was 8. The Seattle Pilots then moved to Milwaukee and I was there on opening day. I lived 2 blocks from County Stadium at the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Boy do I remember my first game. It was 4 days after my 10th birthday back in August, 1958. The sox were playing the yankees and Mickey Mantle hit a monster of a home run. my dad took me and as a 10 year old it was the greatest day of my life. rev 1: it was also the first time that I saw my hero ted williams play and he was out in left field. dad and I got there early enough to see batting practice.

I believe this is that game; check it out

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=195808170BOS

Sections
Shortcuts