Do You Think Clay Buchholz Will Ever Be A Good Pitcher Again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Do You Think Clay Buchholz Will Ever Be A Good Pitcher Again?

My vote is a big NO!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Do You Think Clay Buchholz Will Ever Be A Good Pitcher Again?

Yeah, about the same time as JBJ leads the league in hitting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Yes. Look no further than 2012 to 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I hope so, he certainly has the ability to be an excellent pitcher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

he is a good pitcher, but he is a terrible mentally pitcher.  He is like a rookie all over again.  He never know what pitch he should throw for each batter.  For example, Drew is a pull hitter, and Bucholtz threw most of his pitches in the middle of the plate toward to inside of the plate for the whole nite last nite.  Why?  Pitch around from inside to outside to high part of the plate.  Does he ever look at the tape for every batter as well does he ever memorize every batter weakness?  He doesnt seem he care anymore.  All he care is to keep his hair wet.  Wondering if his wet hair effect his pitching nowsdays!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Yes. I can only assume the organization does, as well. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The organization has no choice. They can't trade him because he has no value. They can't send him down. They're stuck with him. Where's the Dodgers when you really need them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Who knows.  Maybe?  My guess is that he will scuffle and look terrible until the Sox finally give up the ghost and let him go.  Then a couple years later he will re-emerge as a really good middle rotation guy in Kansas City or Cincinnati or somewhere chill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dublin-red-sox. Show dublin-red-sox's posts

nope, and he'll be a head case who not only pitches like muck but also misses 50% of every season. 

"Stanwyk: Do you own a pair of rubber gloves Mr Fletcher?
    Fletch: I rent with an option to buy."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Anyone that definitively says no is ann idiot. Anyone that says yes definitively is an idiot

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I think he will.  I've long suspected that the problems he had early in his career were remedied by psychotropic drugs of some kind (and there's NOTHING wrong with that) and helped make him into the pitcher he was at the start of 2013.

I've heard it mentioned that he "looks like a deer in the headlights out there".  Yes, when he gets into trouble I agree, but he also looks like a deer in the headlights every time he gets interviewed, too.  So I think it's his makeup. 

This guy is what he is. He's a pitcher with a tremendous upside that needs some assistance of some kind to realize his potential.  I believe that he and the FO will continue to work together and he can come back to being a solid #2 or #3 pitcher.  

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think that back injury/core injury that he sustained in 2011 scarred him. When he came back, everything was high for those first six starts. He looked afraid to really let lose, that he might get hurt again. But he turned things around and was fine for the rest of the year and to start 2013.

But when he felt whatever it was he felt that put him on the DL, he was afraid to pitch hurt because of what it might turn into, which is why he was on the DL. He was able to get by when he returned, but look at this year. He often leaves things up in the strike zone again, afraid to let loose.

I also think the move to give him an easy offseason backfired an instead of keeping him fresh, it prevented him from being strong.

I would put him on a tough training program in the offseason to get stronger and give him the first part of next year to see if he can bounce back. If not, then it might be time to move on from him.

But he has shown enough talent in the past to give him the one last chance next year. But he needs the right offseason program.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

Not until he corrects his mechanics..serious flaws right now. He is just not consistent and his head was not in the game last night..showing to much frustration with his lack of command.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

He'll be pitching Friday, that's good, I know its the end of work week. The way he is Pitching he'll get us a decent Draft pick. Right now we got the #7 pick, a few more starts by Clay we should get the #4 pick. So it's not all useless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

He's never been a durable one. Is that part of being "good"? 

My bet is he will be good in spurts, like he's always been. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

By the end of year Kelley will pass him as the Number 3 starter going into next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He has pitched more than 170 innings twice and has a history of breaking down.  Injuries are what they are, I know he can't control that, but he's no dray horse and to hope he's gonna be more than what he is at this point is just setting yourself up for frustration.  When he's on, he's as good as anyone.  When he's not, he's hardly a top end of the rotation guy.  Here's hoping the Red Sox proceed in FA and trades this offseason thinking of Buch as a 4th or 5th starter and then be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

NO!  I have never seen someone sweat so much with so little production.  If he has to work that hard just to stink you can stick a fork in him.  Can I get a BINGO DAT from Bill in the congregation?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illinisoxfan. Show Illinisoxfan's posts

No.  He does not have the mental makeup or the desire to be great. He shrinks in the face of adversity.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The organization has no choice. They can't trade him because he has no value. They can't send him down. They're stuck with him. Where's the Dodgers when you really need them.

[/QUOTE]

You are right on....I am sure we tried to unload him as we did Lester, Lackey & Peavy but no takers !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyDorr1946. Show BobbyDorr1946's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My vote is a big NO!

[/QUOTE]

I say a resounding NO, please for the good of Red Sox fans, get rid of Buch immediatley if not sooner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyDorr1946. Show BobbyDorr1946's posts

Buch has to go, he's a detriment to the team, Red Sox fans are howling mad at his continued terrible performances, enough is enough, listening to Farrell talk about him is just as sickening as watching him perform if you want to call it a performance!  It really is criminal to keep sending him out to pitch, just criminal.  Please let him go now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I have lost my confidence in him.  I think he will have his good, even great moments, but I don't believe he can be consistently good, aka a top of the rotation pitcher.

He's an enigma, to say the least, because he has all the talent in the world.  For whatever reason, he just can't execute.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Yes, but then he will sustain a minor injury that will take him an entire season to mentally recover from.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has pitched more than 170 innings twice and has a history of breaking down.  Injuries are what they are, I know he can't control that, but he's no dray horse and to hope he's gonna be more than what he is at this point is just setting yourself up for frustration.  When he's on, he's as good as anyone.  When he's not, he's hardly a top end of the rotation guy.  Here's hoping the Red Sox proceed in FA and trades this offseason thinking of Buch as a 4th or 5th starter and then be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be better. 

[/QUOTE]

If there's a positive to his maddening performance last night, I think that it's that the FO can no longer kid themselves about thinking that Clay will/can be their ace or #2 pitcher next season.  Not that they ever thought that, but if they did, they should be clear now that depending on Clay to lead this staff would be far too risky, even foolish.

That's more reason to believe that they are going to acquire 2 TOR starters prior to the start of next season.  Hopefully, one of the is Lester.