Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?

The piece he wrote about Dice-K was highly critical; it certainly wasn't fair and balanced. Mr Edes painted a very unflattering picture of Dice-K. Edes isn't a beat writer and is entitled to his opinion. But shouldn't it be based on all the facts. Do you think Gordon Edes should write a follow up piece and point out the fact that there is more to Matsuzaka career with the Sox than he portrayed?

by Gordon Edes/ESPN
    Matsuzaka can't blame injuries. He can't hide behind being out of shape. Or the ball being different in Japan. Or America being different from Japan.
    The Red Sox have been beyond patient with him and afforded him every advantage, from masseur to chef to interpreter, plane tickets and town car and housing allowance. He has an agent whose menu of services, from physical conditioning to psychological counseling, is without rival, and if he has not availed himself of those services, that's on him.

He can't accuse the Sox of trying to Americanize him because then we should accuse them of doing the same with every Latin kid who has ever come here to play ball, too. The difference in pitching in Japan, where you pitch once a week, and in the big leagues, where you take the mound once every five days, is like the difference between college ball and the big leagues.

He had a pitching coach who studied Japanese before he got here so that he could talk to him, and a catcher who put in countless hours of study so that he could do for him what he tries to do for every pitcher on the staff: make him better. And when Jason Varitek sat down with him, the message was not, "This is how you do it" but "What do you want to do?''
    The next time he walks by a mirror, Matsuzaka should remember that and ask himself what has he tried to do in the past five years to signal to his teammates a desire to fit in, to talk with them, to at least be accessible enough that his manager, Terry Francona, no longer laments he can't even have a casual conversation with him without the use of an interpreter.
    Do you think the blame for Dice-K’s struggles falls squarely on his shoulders, or should the Red Sox be more accommodating and just let Dice-K be Dice-K?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?

Yes, I do. He reflects the anti-Asian sentiment in Red Sox Nation. Very sad, calling him out this early in the year. It's not like he's in his 40's and washed up like Wakefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Not after just one game.  But I sure hope he will owe him one at the end of the season.  And I am already on record as saying I think that Edes was hypercritical in his piece.  Don't know why Edes was so negative, but I have little respect of his opinion.  He just seems to want to stir the pot and agitate players and fans alike.  Reminds me of Massarotti.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?:
    [QUOTE]The piece he wrote about Dice-K was highly critical; it certainly wasn't fair and balanced. Mr Edes painted a very unflattering picture of Dice-K. Edes isn't a beat writer and is entitled to his opinion. But shouldn't it be based on all the facts. Do you think Gordon Edes should write a follow up piece and point out the fact that there is more to Matsuzaka career with the Sox than he portrayed? by Gordon Edes/ESPN Matsuzaka can't blame injuries. He can't hide behind being out of shape. Or the ball being different in Japan. Or America being different from Japan. The Red Sox have been beyond patient with him and afforded him every advantage, from masseur to chef to interpreter, plane tickets and town car and housing allowance. He has an agent whose menu of services, from physical conditioning to psychological counseling, is without rival, and if he has not availed himself of those services, that's on him. He can't accuse the Sox of trying to Americanize him because then we should accuse them of doing the same with every Latin kid who has ever come here to play ball, too. The difference in pitching in Japan, where you pitch once a week, and in the big leagues, where you take the mound once every five days, is like the difference between college ball and the big leagues. He had a pitching coach who studied Japanese before he got here so that he could talk to him, and a catcher who put in countless hours of study so that he could do for him what he tries to do for every pitcher on the staff: make him better. And when Jason Varitek sat down with him, the message was not, "This is how you do it" but "What do you want to do?'' The next time he walks by a mirror, Matsuzaka should remember that and ask himself what has he tried to do in the past five years to signal to his teammates a desire to fit in, to talk with them, to at least be accessible enough that his manager, Terry Francona, no longer laments he can't even have a casual conversation with him without the use of an interpreter. Do you think the blame for Dice-K’s struggles falls squarely on his shoulders, or should the Red Sox be more accommodating and just let Dice-K be Dice-K?
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]E, you do know that means he'd have to admit to such, right?....don't hold your breath...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Jete: When he was working for the Globe as the beat writer, I always liked his work. Now that he's over at ESPN/Boston he changed his style.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Gordon owes an apology to his mama.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

exactly why i said that... for some reason,he's taken on an edge where he was once even-handed.. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

What I want to know is: Are you reading Gordon Edes?  Stowing away the time.

http://youtu.be/wsrI_mIT6PQ

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

They write to sell papers. Not all of Dice-K problems have been his. It is the way he has been handled in game situations. Has he pitched great? Not yet but today was a good start. Remember the sox did not have a ST.

In Response to Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?:
    [QUOTE]The piece he wrote about Dice-K was highly critical; it certainly wasn't fair and balanced. Mr Edes painted a very unflattering picture of Dice-K. Edes isn't a beat writer and is entitled to his opinion. But shouldn't it be based on all the facts. Do you think Gordon Edes should write a follow up piece and point out the fact that there is more to Matsuzaka career with the Sox than he portrayed? by Gordon Edes/ESPN Matsuzaka can't blame injuries. He can't hide behind being out of shape. Or the ball being different in Japan. Or America being different from Japan. The Red Sox have been beyond patient with him and afforded him every advantage, from masseur to chef to interpreter, plane tickets and town car and housing allowance. He has an agent whose menu of services, from physical conditioning to psychological counseling, is without rival, and if he has not availed himself of those services, that's on him. He can't accuse the Sox of trying to Americanize him because then we should accuse them of doing the same with every Latin kid who has ever come here to play ball, too. The difference in pitching in Japan, where you pitch once a week, and in the big leagues, where you take the mound once every five days, is like the difference between college ball and the big leagues. He had a pitching coach who studied Japanese before he got here so that he could talk to him, and a catcher who put in countless hours of study so that he could do for him what he tries to do for every pitcher on the staff: make him better. And when Jason Varitek sat down with him, the message was not, "This is how you do it" but "What do you want to do?'' The next time he walks by a mirror, Matsuzaka should remember that and ask himself what has he tried to do in the past five years to signal to his teammates a desire to fit in, to talk with them, to at least be accessible enough that his manager, Terry Francona, no longer laments he can't even have a casual conversation with him without the use of an interpreter. Do you think the blame for Dice-K’s struggles falls squarely on his shoulders, or should the Red Sox be more accommodating and just let Dice-K be Dice-K?
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Here’s a couple of facts Mr. Edes should consider the next time he writes a piece about Dice-K.

2007 season

He closed out his first Major League season with a record of 15-12 and an ERA of 4.40.

On October 27, 2007, he started and led the Red Sox to a 10-5 win in Game 3 of the 2007 World Series against the Rockies, his first World Series appearance, giving up 2 runs on 3 hits and 3 walks, with 5 strikeouts.

2008 season

Matsuzaka ended the season with an 18-3 record, 2.90 ERA and held opponents to a .211 AVG (and 6.9 hits-per-9-innings), the lowest in the majors. He also led the AL by leaving 80.6 percent of the baserunners he allowed stranded. These numbers were enough to place him 4th in the AL Cy Young Award race.

In Game 1 of the 2008 AL Championship Series Matsuzaka in 7-plus innings, no-hit the Tampa Bay Rays before giving up a hit to Carl Crawford to start the 7th and got the win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

I dont think he owes Dice and apology because Dice cant read English anyway

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Of course he doesn't owe Dice-K an apology.  His job is to critique.  Dice-K may have saved his Red Sox career with his performance today but that it didn't excuse him from being a bust thus far.  If anything Dice-K will make him eat his words and Edes will just live with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

BaseballGM "Yes, I do. He reflects the anti-Asian sentiment in Red Sox Nation. Very sad, calling him out this early in the year. It's not like he's in his 40's and washed up like Wakefield."

Funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I do. He reflects the anti-Asian sentiment in Red Sox Nation. Very sad, calling him out this early in the year. It's not like he's in his 40's and washed up like Wakefield.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]ok wiseguy, will u give mr. wakefield his apology when he proves he is still not washed up? wake is a pro's pro. long as he stays healthy, i have no doubt when we turn to him for 5-10 starts he will be able to once again deliver. isnt exactly like he is losing velocity on his knuckler!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Why should Edes apologize?  Dice-K pitched well in one start that happened to be against a team that's averse to working counts and drawing walks.  This is exactly the type of team you'd expect him to pitch well against.  Until he strings together 10-12 mostly good starts, there's no reason to assume he won't revert to the same old Dice-K we all know and love--he's a fifth starter, not the ace he looked like yesterday.  I'll take what I can get though and be happy with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

[QUOTE]Of course he doesn't owe Dice-K an apology.  His job is to critique.  Dice-K may have saved his Red Sox career with his performance today but that it didn't excuse him from being a bust thus far.  If anything Dice-K will make him eat his words and Edes will just live with it.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If Dice-K wants to shut him up, then let him let his pitching do the talking. It's totally put-up or shut up time for Dice-K. I'm rooting for him, but not optimistic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you think Gordon Edes owes Matsuzaka an apology? : Agreed. If Dice-K wants to shut him up, then let him let his pitching do the talking. It's totally put-up or shut up time for Dice-K. I'm rooting for him, but not optimistic.
    Posted by njalb[/QUOTE]

I, on the other hand, am optimistic.  Why?  Well, when Daisuke has been healthy, he actually has been very effective ... inconsistent, perhaps, but effective.  The record speaks for itself in this regard.  The last two seasons have been mired with nagging injuries.  I have no reason to expect him to be anything other than good if he stays healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Of course he doesn't owe Daisuke an apology. Edes wrote his take on the situation, which is what he's paid to do. If you really read it, it's every bit as critical of the Red Sox as it is Matsuzaka.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

wake is a pro's pro. long as he stays healthy, i have no doubt when we turn to him for 5-10 starts he will be able to once again deliver. isnt exactly like he is losing velocity on his knuckler!

What's a "pro's pro"? Whatever that is, DiceK is better than that. Define "once against be able to deliver in 5-10 starts"? Is that what he was doing in 2010, before he was bumped by Lackey?

Cue the guy with the old Wakefield stats..........................

This isn't a young guy, he's not going to go back to his non-glory days of a career bottom of the rotation starter who no one had any confidence in from one goofball to the next.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

Last year  thought Dice-K was the key player on the team. He didn't cut it, neither did the team. This year I thought, well there is Lester and Bucholz. If Beckett or Lackey becomes a strong numer three in the rotation we could be okay. So far Bucholz is wanting. Lackey has a win, but he's not been effective. Will Beckett hold up?  After yesterday I want to be hopeful about Dice-K. I guess we'll see. He earnede another start surely, but we can't afford his getting bombed three or fouir times before he puts it together again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Admit I only glanced at Edes' article, but to me, Edes is entitled to his opinion and if Dice-K wants puff pieces or for the boos to stop he should get his head on straight and regain at least a shred of his former capabilities.  You'd think after all of his years here he'd know how to pitch in the AL east.  Last start showed me he is capable, but the fact that he was so economical with his pitches (85+ pitches or so in 7 innings -- a guess on my part -- is totally un-Dice-K like) leads me to think that the other team's impatient approach may have had at least something to do with his success.  Not to say that he isn't fully capable of being a good MLB starter.    

I've read lots of theories on why Dice-K can't pitch in the US, ranging from "pitching is an art form in Japan, they don't do pitch counts" to "the Sox want him to pitch to contact, not use 8 pitches per batter and getting guys into a full count", which is what he apparently used to do in Japan.  Is it cultural?  Philosophical?  Is it stubbornness?  Is he just overrated?  I don't know.  Whatever it is, I hope he has enough pride to try and work things out here, because the Sox need him.     

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m