do you think sox have given up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

do you think sox have given up?

i hope this team has not given up on itself with 3 weeks to go in the
    season.they looked real bad last nite i could write a whole page what
    i did not like but this team is hard to watch right now.it looks like
    the season went a month to long for them.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Re: do you think sox have given up?

Why would a team  give up on itself   when they are   play off material  and   potential division winners  ? 

They   do look real bad  right now - nearly as bad as they did the 1st  2 weeks.

Change the channel -  go to a high school football game  - but rest assured they have not QUIT..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

The Sox will get through this, make it to the playoffs and they will be just fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

I think it is obvious they gave up after the 1918 season. They have looked sluggish since then. Meanwhile the gutty, gritty Yankees have racked up 27 World Series to our measly 2. If that isn't an indication of giving up I'm not sure what is. Here are a few examples... 1947 Ted Williams pops up to second baseman and he jogs to first, 1975 Sox lose game 7 to Reds, 1986 Buckner doesn't try for ground ball then gives up on it when it rolls by him and Rich Gedman doesn't lay on home plate refusing winning runs to score, 2003 Tim Wakefield who normally throws in high 90's lobs a pitch to Aaron Boone and last night after falling behind 6 nothing the Red Sox don't come back. Do you think anyone took extra batting practice or extra ground balls after last nights game? Neither do I!!!
    I've never read a post more insightful to a team's problems... they are quitters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If anyone on this board actually believes for a second that these guys, who are competitive by nature, just give up, need to rethink their position. Its too often that we talk about guys NOT being able to walk away because of their competitive nature. I dont believe for a second, besides JD Drew, that this team has quit,given up, or thrown in the towel..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

For some of you to think that the Red Sox have given up is a slap in the face to the team. 

Don't some of you go through slumps at your job, school and in life? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

In Response to do you think sox have given up?:
    i hope this team has not given up on itself with 3 weeks to go in the season.they looked real bad last nite i could write a whole page what i did not like but this team is hard to watch right now.it looks like the season went a month to long for them.
    Posted by soxyjim

No post about Wakefield? What gives?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

i hope this team has not given up on itself with 3 weeks to go in the season.they looked real bad last nite i could write a whole page what i did not like but this team is hard to watch right now.it looks like the season went a month to long for them.
    Posted by soxyjim

I think there has to be some lack of motivation when your team scores 10 runs then the pen gives the game away.  It also can't be very comforting to see guys Lackey, Wake, Weiland and Miller on the mound and thinking we need a ton of runs to win most games.  Lastly, but not fotgotten is how a new member of our lineup drops to a nagging injury every week.

Someone needs to pick this club up in a hurry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

The season starts fresh in October. You don't know who will step up and be a hero in 2011. No one knew in 2004 before the post season started who would step up and help the Sox win it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What I want to know is, provided we make the PS, will Francona employ the same buffoonery in making out his line-up, or will he put his best 8 poistion players on the field for each game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

In Response to Re: do you think sox have given up?:
    What I want to know is, provided we make the PS, will Francona employ the same buffoonery in making out his line-up, or will he put his best 8 poistion players on the field for each game?
    Posted by Alibiike

He'll probably use a database to determine which batters match up the best against opposing pitchers. Many managers use such statistics. He may also go with a batter who is in a hot streak. Of course, injuries will always need to be reviewed and those that are privy to that information will use it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: do you think sox have given up? : He'll probably use a database to determine which batters match up the best against opposing pitchers. Many managers use such statistics. He may also go with a batter who is in a hot streak. Of course, injuries will always need to be reviewed and those that are privy to that information will use it.
    Posted by Myles-Standish

When you rely too much on either Sabermetrics or old fashioned scouting, it usually isnt the best way..There has to be a balance..Im seeing Tito/Theo relying too much on stats and not whats right in front of them..ex: why sit Reddick for LHP and use Mac? Reddick hits lefties and mac hits nobody..But hes a RHB, so we have to put him in? doesnt make sense..Why do you HAVE to go R-L-R-L for a lineup every time? Thats just a couple examples..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Posted by soxyjim

I'm not saying that they're given up, but is it me but David Ortiz didn't put three steps into running out his ground ball to first. Lazy.................

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by Alibiike

He won't rest players, if that's what you mean.

But by 'best 8', do you mean by your standards, by stats you see once a week in the local newspaper, or by some printout that Bill James supplies?

Scutao is our best SS, but if he's facing someone he is 0-20 against with 20 Ks, and Aviles is 5-5 against the same guy, then Aviles starts.  It's a hyperbolic example, but even in rotisserie leagues, the owners play matchups.  You can't expect the pros to do any less.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IRT giving up, of course not.  We're in a slump.  All 30 teams go in slumps. We have too many people in here that think we clinched the WS everytime we win 7-9, or have quit eveytime we lose 7-9.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There is nothing wrong with this team that a 3 game winning streak won't fix.

Although the Red Sox have an excellent road record, I still feel better seeing that we have more home games than away games on the schedule. However, what fans have to understand is that Boston fans are a big part of the home field advantage, it does not help the team to boo Red Sox players you dislike while at the ballpark. So , when Lackey takes the mound in Fenway , please , if you do not like him, just stay quiet, at this point he is here ( for better or worse) and we are sunk without him as he is one of the few healthy starters with playoff experience we have right now. Same goes for Crawford and Wakefield.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Amen, Zilla.  Nice post.

The saddest thing, though, is seeing this team get spanked in front of empty stadiums.  Toronto and Tampa Bay have way to many seats, and not enough ticket buyers.

Like the 3 game win streak idea.  That would be the catalyst, I think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well soups, I can agree with you to a point.

I think the empty stadiums is more a sign of the economy and that these "small market team" fans are getting sick of the imbalance in the league. If I was a Toronto,Oakland or Kansas City fan, I would be pretty disillusioned with baseball right about now. Moneyball may be O.K. for the owners , but it has to s#ck for the fans. So, I can't blame the people for not showing up and supporting the teams when they know their lineups consist of (approx.) 50% AAA players, 25% utility players and a few retreads.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

True, true.  But it's not just this economic climate that has kept fans from those stadiums.  TB hasn't consistently filled its park since it came into being, except for their playoff run.  It's a much bigger hockey town than a baseball town, strangely.  The Lightning fill their stands every single game. So do the Bucs, and they s***.

But yeah, no blame for people not showing up.  But if the Sox are going to get hammered, I'd rather see it come in front of a stadium full of people. Sounds strange, I know, but the half empty stadium thing lends itself to complacency. I just think the Sox actually play better ball when the stadiums are fuller.

Anyhow, I still think this team will catch fire soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

with 3 weeks to go..i'm guessing no....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think it is obvious they gave up after the 1918 season. They have looked sluggish since then. Meanwhile the gutty, gritty Yankees have racked up 27 World Series to our measly 2. If that isn't an indication of giving up I'm not sure what is. Here are a few examples... 1947 Ted Williams pops up to second baseman and he jogs to first, 1975 Sox lose game 7 to Reds, 1986 Buckner doesn't try for ground ball then gives up on it when it rolls by him and Rich Gedman doesn't lay on home plate refusing winning runs to score, 2003 Tim Wakefield who normally throws in high 90's lobs a pitch to Aaron Boone and last night after falling behind 6 nothing the Red Sox don't come back. Do you think anyone took extra batting practice or extra ground balls after last nights game? Neither do I!!! I've never read a post more insightful to a team's problems... they are quitters.
    Posted by Wolfpack13

No mention of Yastrzemski intentionally popping out to Nettles?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

True, true.  But it's not just this economic climate that has kept fans from those stadiums.  TB hasn't consistently filled its park since it came into being, except for their playoff run.  It's a much bigger hockey town than a baseball town, strangely.  The Lightning fill their stands every single game. So do the Bucs, and they s***. But yeah, no blame for people not showing up.  But if the Sox are going to get hammered, I'd rather see it come in front of a stadium full of people. Sounds strange, I know, but the half empty stadium thing lends itself to complacency. I just think the Sox actually play better ball when the stadiums are fuller. Anyhow, I still think this team will catch fire soon.
    Posted by soups

Yes, certain sports take off in certain regions.

You can understand how Hockey is king in Montreal and baseball couldn't survive , even in good times.

But, I think baseball fans in Tampa Bay face the harsh reality that New York and Boston can outspend them ( hell, they "outspend" some small nations!), so even when they enjoy a short term of success, they know players like Crawford,Kazmir,Garza, Pena etc. will all eventually end up in larger markets. Playing well in a small market is essentially playing yourself out of their price range and off the team.

The economics of baseball stink for teams not named Yankees, Red Sox , Angels or Phillies right at this moment.

Sections
Shortcuts