Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

I selected "Don't trade him unless a good offer comes after the end of 2011." Not that I wouldn't listen if viable offers were made during the season, but I think he should get at least until then. Let's see what he does this year. No rush to run him out of town.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

After they extend the Swellsbury wing at the hall of fame, the RS should sign him to a 7-year $154 million contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm not voting since the options are not a comprehensive list of the possibilities.  I'd offer a 3 year extension (2012-2014), with a club option for 2015 (per Sox club policy).  Probably looking at something like $1M signing bonus, $5.5M 2012, $8M 2013, $12M 2014, $14M club option / $1M buyout for 2015.

I would certainly move him for the right package, although that could be said for any player on the roster.  I would hold off on making this offer until early July, if/when he declines the offer trades could be considered depending on where the Sox are in the standings, what replacements are available, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Theo will probably wait until Ellsbury's BA drops below .150 and then give him a Carl Crawford like extension in order to boast his confidence.  Meanwhile, Francona will be planning extended time off for Ellsbury, also to boast his confidence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury?:
    Given the OF depth in the minors, I think he's trade bait. I wouldn't sell low on him however. Ells is a very good ballplayer. He does have a weak arm, which means he doesn't profile in right, but he's a good hitter who covers a lot od ground in the outfield. Plus he seems to be developing more pop as he gains experience.
    Posted by carnie

I don't see the depth mentioned, just a bunch of #4 OF's. And with $40mil coming off of the books, an eye on free agency says that the 2 most appealing OF's might be Cameron and Drew! 
    I would like to extend Ellsbury, with the hope that he is the lead off hitter and Crawford settles further down in the lineup. (once Crawford finds his stroke, I like Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford, Agon, Youk, Papi, Drew, Lowrie, Salty)
    I also know that the Sox have approached Ellsbury on an extension and have been so far rebuffed. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

Theo will probably wait until Ellsbury's BA drops below .150 and then give him a Carl Crawford like extension in order to boast his confidence.  Meanwhile, Francona will be planning extended time off for Ellsbury, also to boast his confidence.
    Posted by andrewmitch

You are such a fun guy to have around. The forum is very fortunate to have you as a member.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I don't vote in grammatically incorrect poll questions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury? : I don't see the depth mentioned, just a bunch of #4 OF's. And with $40mil coming off of the books, an eye on free agency says that the 2 most appealing OF's might be Cameron and Drew!  I would like to extend Ellsbury, with the hope that he is the lead off hitter and Crawford settles further down in the lineup. (once Crawford finds his stroke, I like Ellsbury, Pedroia, Crawford, Agon, Youk, Papi, Drew, Lowrie, Salty) I also know that the Sox have approached Ellsbury on an extension and have been so far rebuffed. 
    Posted by rkarp
    I think that certainly Kalish profiles better than that. Probably Linares too. Plus it looks like Reddick is finally finding his offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I also know that the Sox have approached Ellsbury on an extension and have been so far rebuffed. 

You'll have to better than that. You aren't a source.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

He's not that good and the sox can do better. Front office still isn't pleased with the way he handled last year and they do not really want to deal with that slimy boras. I don't blame them for that either.

In Response to Do you try and extend Ellsbury?:
    Do you try and extend him?  If so, for how many years and what base do you offer? If not, do you keep paying arbitration years for his final two years? If not, when do you trade him? If you trade him, what are you looking to get in return? Explain the reason for your decision. A GM has to plan in advance to do his job, so fans should not cheer or complain after the fact unless they are on the record about what they would do now. I would ship him before the end of the trade deadline this summer, and stress to the NL suitors that he is a budding star who is just now hitting his peak power years to go with the most excited baserunner in major league baseball. A sure Type A player who will net compensation picks for the small market suitors or a great value with the 2 arbitration years and compensation picks if a large market team is unable to extend him or sign him as a FA.  I would seek a star RH corner slugging OF late 20's or early 30's salary dump where the other team eats a large percentage of the remaining contract and a solid MLB catching prospect. (Note: I understand Boras' approach is to go to FA, but that doesn't mean Ellsbury would turn down a 4 year deal that gives him the financial security he currently doesn't have (it was rumored that he was a Madoff client), yet still allows him to become a FA at age 31. Since Theo says that speed doesn't age like power, Ellsbury should be in his prime when he hits FA. Boras would object because he only serves his personal interest, not his client, but Ellsbury might have hard time turning a big signing bonus and a guaranteed 30 to 40 million net after agency fees and taxes. Right now, he's one more injury away from losing 10's of millions, which would likely affect the dreams of his he and his family. Good time to approach him for an extension. He has said that the Red Sox have not discussed the idea of a possible extension)
    Posted by BaseballGM

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Posted by andrewmitch

http://youtu.be/Ze4fXyymxEw

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury? : Plus it looks like Reddick is finally finding his offense.
    Posted by carnie

I'm still not sold on Reddick.  He's always been streaky, he may have just happened to start on a hot streak.  If he's still crushing the ball in July I think he enters the conversation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

It seems like we are already banking on one of the three Kalish/Reddick/Linares to replace Drew in Right. So if we let Ellsbury go we would have to hit on two of those three as starters (barring us getting a centerfielder in return for trading Ells). That seems like it might be a stretch - i like the kids, but you just never know how they are gonna pan out.

If we can get something like the arraingement that JB-3 posts above, I'm all for it. But I doubt Boras goes for it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

He could still be taded and someone signed to fill his spot. I doubt the sox are going to pay him much, given the fact they did not like the way he handled last season and has boras.

It seems like we are already banking on one of the three Kalish/Reddick/Linares to replace Drew in Right. So if we let Ellsbury go we would have to hit on two of those three as starters (barring us getting a centerfielder in return for trading Ells). That seems like it might be a stretch - i like the kids, but you just never know how they are gonna pan out.   If we can get something like the arraingement that JB-3 posts above, I'm all for it. But I doubt Boras goes for it.
    Posted by wherescreamingcomesfrom

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

He could still be taded and someone signed to fill his spot. I doubt the sox are going to pay him much, given the fact they did not like the way he handled last season and has boras. In Response to Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury? :
    Posted by REDSOX-11

They certainly aren't going to non-tender him.  his closest comparison is Michael Bourne, who just got $4.4M avoiding arb 2 (a $2M raise over last season).

Actually, I'd like to revise my extension offer seeing as I based it off of the wrong Astros OF (I alway mix up Pence and Bourne for some reason).

$4M, $7M, $11M, club option $13M $1M buyout, $1M signing bonus.  Fairly small adjustment, but worth mentioning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

They wont except it unless its a "Boras favoring deal"  He will advise his client to wait as long as possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lock him up NOW!!!!!  Before his value goes through the roof.  It will.  The kid is a natural.  Played hurt last year....  Pushed into getting back in too early.  Fans lost their minds on him.  This kid is a player.  OK, less than desirable arm, BUT the kid can flat out play center field, left field, right field...... wherever you want him!  Speed to burn!  PLUS.....  The kid can tear the cover off the pall.  Reeks havoc on the base pads....  PLEASE!?!  Of course you lock him up!  If we had not behaved so badly toward him last year, we could have done it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'd make a push to try and extend him.  Boras will push for Crawford money if he hits the market.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Mark my words! (as if you care:)  We will be singing Els. praises by mid-July.  The kid is going to be a top tier player.  Last year was a disaster with him!  Most of that was our fault!  Els. got a raw deal from mgmt. & the fans.  He deserved better!  I hope we don't lose him because of that!
    HE IS A PLAYA! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

No metrics show "kid can flat out play CF", whatever that means.

His BA and OBP are off the charts bad, so it's amazing what a few homers will do to skew judgment. Is Ellsbury turning into a pull hitting home run hitter with a low average and OBP? I doubt that approach will last for any length of time in his career.

Because the Red Sox already have a need for solid young RH corner OF'er, with Crawford in place, that only leaves one OF spot if Ellsbury were traded. The Red Sox probably have more depth in left handed hitting OF'ers with speed than any other position. Seems logical to promote and trade, to take care of the long term future OF needs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

GM,

Always the gentleman?  OK JO

AVG.        OBP             SLG

2007                       .353         .394           .509

2008                       .280         .336           .394

2009                       .300         .355           .415

2010   Sorry!  No real 'metric' available!  but I'm sure you could come up w one

If you can't see the kid can field, I don't know what you're smokin??  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I believe there were some injury issues in 08???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

With Scott Boras as his agent, Ellsbury can go anywhere.

I can even picture Ellsbury going to the Nationals and teaming up with Werth (another Boras client). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

GM,

You need to ease up a bit.  I can see why people get a bit offended??  Chill out.  This is not a competition.  Seriously!  Just trying to help you.  Much of this is based on intangibles.  Ease up Francis :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I would neither trade him nor extend him during this season.  Right now you would be selling low, and if by the trade deadline he is tearing it up and thus increase his value, why would you trade him?  The only way is they get a great offer to replace someone who has just had a season ending injury or a stud catcher.  I don't see the latter happening and hope to heck the former doesn't happen. 

In the off-season the Sox could evaluate the entire situation, including who can step up and who may be available in the FA or trade market.  Also, the CBA is up at the end of the year, that could play into things as well, what will the compensation rules be.

A side note having nothing to do with this.  Victor Martinez just got taken out of the game for the Tigers with an injury.  Jay Buhner says it looks like a groin injury. 

Sections
Shortcuts