Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

In response to wherescreamingcomesfrom's comment:

In Response to Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury?:
    [QUOTE]No, social graces have nothing to do with how much money you were born with. Since you don't have social graces, your lack of them and your giant chip bleeds through.
    Posted by BaseballGM

Rich, the guy who starts pointless fights with other posters just to amuse himself accuses someone else of not being socially graceful! Oh the irony.

Look man, I hardly ever post here, I just come to read the perspectives because a lot of the posters have interesting takes on the team and are really thorough in there research. That said, EVEN I REALIZE that you are the same guy that posted under the variations of softlaw. You made this board a drag before, and you are doing it again with your new moniker. I wish you would stop because those of us who just like to read waste a lot of time on your trash. I don't want to get into a long thing with you, and I have 0 interest in having a back-and-forth. But really man, why don't you just stop?
    [/QUOTE]

Ouch.  I missed this one.  This dude slapped the crap out of Baseball GM.  No wonder we haven't seen BB GM in a long time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Of course they should extend ellsbury.  Which is why spending money on Gomes and Victorino is so infuriating.

He's the most talented player on the roster. 

he gets a lot of criticism for "injuries" - take a look at the injuries.   He broke his ribs on a hustle play when he collided with Beltre.  He wrecked his shoulder on a hustle play.

He is not fragile.  Fragile = hamstrings, sore ankles, and stiff neck injuries.  It's not back spasms.  He had too impact injuries because he plays the game we want players to play the game.

Boras is an excuse.

Offer him 4 years guaranteed - year 5 player option - year 6 club option.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank god you have nothing to do with the team.

[/QUOTE]

More keen insight from the non-baseball fan.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We seen what Ellsbury is capable of when he's healthy. His stats also show that he can either be a decent power hitter or a speedster but there is very little likelyhood that he can be both at the same time. I'd still like to keep him but mostly for his speed and ability to get a good jump on balls in the gap. Even without an Evans type arm, and few have that, like most outfielders, especially center fielders in Fenway, his ability to hit the cut off man for relays he can be a way above average center fielder. If he can't be signed to an extension before the deadline then it would be in the Sox best interest to at least get something in return rather than just let him walk. And as a free agent there isn't much chance of his return.

[/QUOTE]

i disagree, if he hits FA we still have a better chance to sign him than anyone. we have the $$ to do so

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Ellsbury has no reason to want to stay with Boston, in fact, I feel he'd probably rather play anywhere else but here if given a choice (most likely on the left coast).

2) Why would we want to extend Ellsbury? We'd be paying for potential and praying for health. Let's take the draft pick or the best we can get via trade before it's too late (my preference is the latter).

3) Just because we can possibly outbid anyone else for his services, doesn't mean we have to do it. The next time we pay big and longterm for someone, it should be as close to a sure thing as we can get.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to BurritoT's comment:

I give him the entire season to prove himself - if I were to move him it would only be after this season - its time for Elles to put up the numbers, now or never, and here in Boston.

An interesting bump, and it's always interesting to look back at our previous posts/positions with the benefit of hindsight.

With no disrespect to T....as we all know Ellsbury had a brilliant, MVP-quality season in 2011.  At that point, we (bar one, the Hatchet) assumed we had a superstar or as near as dammit on our hands....but one that was still not signable given his agent.

Another traumatic injury in 2012 fed the Hatchet's fire, and he's still not signable....so the choices are:

1. Sell now, maximising draft pick value (assuming Ells gets a qualifying offer after 2013....and if the anti-Ells crowd think he's so poor a player he won't earn a QO why do you think MLB GMs know less than you and will blindly pay for a performance you know won't be delivered?), plus the (significant) sell-low benefit given Ells' 2012 injury/poor finish;
    2. Keep Ells....hoping he delivers another 2011-like performance that might put our "competitive" team into the playoffs....all year and maybe get a draft pick back;
    3. Keep Ells....hoping he delivers another 2011-like performance that might put our "competitive" team into the playoffs....through June/July/August and if we are out of contention sell him to a contender sans-assumed draft pick;

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) Ellsbury has no reason to want to stay with Boston, in fact, I feel he'd probably rather play anywhere else but here if given a choice (most likely on the left coast).

2) Why would we want to extend Ellsbury? We'd be paying for potential and praying for health. Let's take the draft pick or the best we can get via trade before it's too late (my preference is the latter).

3) Just because we can possibly outbid anyone else for his services, doesn't mean we have to do it. The next time we pay big and longterm for someone, it should be as close to a sure thing as we can get.

[/QUOTE]

Which players in MLB are immune from broken ribs?  Are their some players out there with titanium ribs?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Schumpeter, it's not so much the injuries as the small sample of Ellsbury they have resulted in. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Offer him 4 years guaranteed - year 5 player option - year 6 club option.

What would be your maximum offer in terms of salary?

Will Jacoby Ellsbury be able to match the career of centerfielder Darin Erstad, a three-time Gold Glove winner whose 2000 statistics resembled Ellsbury's 2011 statistics?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/erstada01.shtml

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which players in MLB are immune from broken ribs?  Are their some players out there with titanium ribs?

[/QUOTE]

No, but how many miss that much time over them?

Plus, had Jacoby called of Beltre, he wouldn't have gotten broken ribs to begin with. It wasn't like the injury was totally unavoidable and freakish in nature.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, you just go for the natural cycle of BB.  There is no reason to pay Ellsbury $14M+ and then keep JBJ in the minors.  You throw money at the areas where you have problems.  You trade away from strength.  Not many remember, but one of the keys to the NYY was that Bernie came up, and made Kelly expendable.  So they traded Kelly away for O'Neill.  Overpaying for players, when they can be replaced, is a recipe for disaster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus, had Jacoby called of Beltre, he wouldn't have gotten broken ribs to begin with. It wasn't like the injury was totally unavoidable and freakish in nature.

[/QUOTE]

The solution always lies in a wager.  How many games do you think ellsbury will start this year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Schumpeter, it's not so much the injuries as the small sample of Ellsbury they have resulted in. 

[/QUOTE]

That's reasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

It's part of the guessing game.  If I thought for a second we were getting the 2011 version, then I'd put $100M/5 on the table and be surprised if he took it.  But in every other year, injured or not, he still topped off at .770, along with a .729, and .682.  I said the same thing about Pujols and I said the same thing about Greinke.  Suppose the 2011 Pujols was the real Pujols?  Suppose the Greinke from 2010-2012 is the real Greinke, and not the one from 2009?

I think fans look at outliers, both good and bad, and don't consider what a reasonable projection is.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The solution always lies in a wager.  How many games do you think ellsbury will start this year?

[/QUOTE]

Since it's his contract year, maybe he won't milk any small injuries, buta I'd put the over/under at about 130 games.

If forced to bet, I'd bet the under.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

If Bill-806 was the neighborhood dog-pooper scooper and his time/skill was valued at 12 quatlubes/hour...who among us would deny - or envy - such a sh1thead's glory in sh1t accumulation?

Billl?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I went through every post on this thread... it was a good bump. One because of all the inter-actions among poster personalities but also because things have changed with Elles. This is still a relevant topic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since it's his contract year, maybe he won't milk any small injuries, buta I'd put the over/under at about 130 games.

If forced to bet, I'd bet the under.

[/QUOTE]

Care to wager a tag bet on that?  I'll take the over.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I think you have to consider how long he sits out regardless of the injury. Secondly as like someone might say one has 'bad luck' you can indeed say Elles is 'injury prone' no matter whose fault it was or will be.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts