Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Do you try and extend Ellsbury?

prone - definition of prone by Macmillan Dictionary

1) likely to do something or be affected by somethingespeciallysomething bad

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Since it's his contract year, maybe he won't milk any small injuries, buta I'd put the over/under at about 130 games.

If forced to bet, I'd bet the under.

Can you point to a minor injury that Ellsbury has "milked"???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

You know pike this site does not allow me to type the words I would best use to describe you with.... so let me school you again #@#!:

THERE IS NO MEDICAL DEFINITION for INJURY-PRONE !!!! Got it?  

I gave you a link to the definition of prone, do I need to so the same for injury ? Then maybe teach you how to put their respective meanings together?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Since it's his contract year, maybe he won't milk any small injuries, buta I'd put the over/under at about 130 games.

He's been scratched from a few line-ups near the last minute, then played the next day or so.

However, that wasn't my point. My point was that I do not think Ellsbury will "milk" any injuries this contract year. That does not mean I know he has milked injuries in the past. Perhaps he has: perhaps not. Different people have different pain threshholds, and not all injuries are the same.

I made my point about Jacoby not calling off Beltre on the collision play. I have re-watched the play countless times and never saw Ellsbury's lips move, yet some on this board have continually blamed Beltre for doing what every infielder has been taught to do- run hard for any popup until called off. Others on this board act as if his injury was totally unavoidable, bad luck, or a freakish type injury that should not be held against him in any way.

I have never said Ellsbury is injury prone, and I have defended Jacoby against the clown softy's continuous rants more than anyone else on this board, as well as his bashing Jed for his injury issues. We will never know if Ellsbury milked the rib injury or not. I prefer to give him and any player the benefit of doubt. I even gave Manny the benefit of doubt towards the end of his time here in Boston, however, I do think Ellsbury's OF play is a bit reckless, and for this reason, I think he may be more likely than the average MLB player to get injured again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... Ellsbury was in the wrong place at the wrong time twice. ...

Had he called off Beltre, he'd have been in the right place at the right time... once.

I wish people would stop blaming Beltre or acting like Jacoby had no culpability at all in his rib injury.

(BTW, I have seen Jacoby not call off another player since the collision with Beltre, so I think this could be an aspect of his game that could support the use of the term "injury prone". Risk-takers and recklessness increases the odds of injury to yourself and others.)

I am not a doctor and do not pretend to know how long the injury should have kept him out. I know clowns like softy want to think he milked it way too long, but I give Jacoby the benefit of doubt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Offer him 4 years guaranteed - year 5 player option - year 6 club option.

What would be your maximum offer in terms of salary?

Will Jacoby Ellsbury be able to match the career of centerfielder Darin Erstad, a three-time Gold Glove winner whose 2000 statistics resembled Ellsbury's 2011 statistics?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/erstada01.shtml

Or will he match a player(of which there are many) that had a great season then continued to have great seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It doesn't make sense to me.

Ells missed 3 games in a row in  June, 2009.  Other than that, he was rested about one game per month in 2009 and 2011.  So he either does not milk injuries, or he only milks injuries in even-numbered years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It doesn't make sense to me.

Ells missed 3 games in a row in  June, 2009.  Other than that, he was rested about one game per month in 2009 and 2011.  So he either does not milk injuries, or he only milks injuries in even-numbered years.

He didn't have any injuries in some of the odd years, so how does this matter?

My point remains: any OF'er who runs full steam towards a blooper between him and an IF'er without calling off the IF'er is reckless and hence more prone to injury than an OF'er who screams, "I got it!"

He has been scratched from line-ups near the last minute a few times... perhaps not more than the norm, but still, it has happened.

He took a long time to recover from the rib injuries, but I have given him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Since he became the FT OF'er for the Sox in 2008, he has averaged about 110 games per season. I set his 2013 over/under at 130. One could argue that I am being too generous with that number, but instead, it appears some feel I am being too critical of Jacoby.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

• In response to moonslav59's comment:

He's been scratched from a few line-ups near the last minute, then played the next day or so.

However, that wasn't my point. My point was that I do not think Ellsbury will "milk" any injuries this contract year. That does not mean I know he has milked injuries in the past. Perhaps he has: perhaps not. Different people have different pain threshholds, and not all injuries are the same.

I made my point about Jacoby not calling off Beltre on the collision play. I have re-watched the play countless times and never saw Ellsbury's lips move, yet some on this board have continually blamed Beltre for doing what every infielder has been taught to do- run hard for any popup until called off. Others on this board act as if his injury was totally unavoidable, bad luck, or a freakish type injury that should not be held against him in any way.

I have never said Ellsbury is injury prone, and I have defended Jacoby against the clown softy's continuous rants more than anyone else on this board, as well as his bashing Jed for his injury issues. We will never know if Ellsbury milked the rib injury or not. I prefer to give him and any player the benefit of doubt. I even gave Manny the benefit of doubt towards the end of his time here in Boston, however, I do think Ellsbury's OF play is a bit reckless, and for this reason, I think he may be more likely than the average MLB player to get injured again.

One thing i remember with the Red Sox team during the Francona years was

the lack of discipline. I love Pedroia but how many times he would try to make an

over the headcatch when it could have been a much easier catch for the outfielder.

It is the manager's job to discipline his players not to allow strong willed players

like Pedroia or Beltre to put other players at risk. If you all remember how Ellsbury

was disrespected more than once in his early years. When Cameron came to the

team Theo and Francona wanted to roll out the red carpet for him stick Ellsbury

in left so Cameron can be shown all the respect. For those who think that Ellsbury

will go ellsewhere and not stay with the Red Sox  I am sure he was given many

reasons to go to another team. Even Francona in an interview admited that Ellsbury

was not supported enough by him and by the team. As great a players manager Tito

was his team was very undisciplined as we saw with that horible September colapse.

It was so evident so many times where infielders would risk injury to themselves and

others so they could make a spectacular catch it is up to the manager to set some

guidelines. How many times a player with the skill set of Ellsbury comes along.

Elite speed power even his arm has been geting stronger. The only negative with

Ellsbury is called Boras. If he is gone after this year it will be our loss and someone

else's gain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

My point remains: any OF'er who runs full steam towards a blooper between him and an IF'er without calling off the IF'er is reckless and hence more prone to injury than an OF'er who screams, "I got it!"

Well, you won't have to worry about Johnny Gomes doing that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is the manager's job to discipline his players not to allow strong willed players

like Pedroia or Beltre to put other players at risk.

Sorry, but you are way off base here. Infielders are correctly taught to go all out for balls hit over their heads until they are called off by an OF'er. Beltre plays the game like it is supposed to be played. He was not the reckless one. The collision was not a result of his "strong will", but rather a result of Jacoby's failure to do what he was supposed to do, namely, to call off Beltre and make a pretty routine catch.

I'm really getting sick and tired of so many posters blaming Beltre, bad luck, or now Francona for what happened. The fault was 100% Jacoby's. The injury was not a fluke or a freak accident. The fact that Jacoby still does not call off other players since the collision is reason enough for me to agree that he is more "prone to injury" than other OF'ers.

If you all remember how Ellsbury

was disrespected more than once in his early years. When Cameron came to the

team Theo and Francona wanted to roll out the red carpet for him stick Ellsbury

in left so Cameron can be shown all the respect. 

Did you forget how Jacoby was handed the starting CF job over Coco in the first place? Was that disrespect to Coco?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, is this you agreeing that Jacoby was to blame for the collision injury with Beltre?

If yes, do you agree that he has continued to not call off players since the Beltre collision?

If yes, do you agree that this is evidence to support the "injury prone" label attached to Jacoby's profile?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

So, is this you agreeing that Jacoby was to blame for the collision injury with Beltre?

If yes, do you agree that he has continued to not call off players since the Beltre collision?

If yes, do you agree that this is evidence to support the "injury prone" label attached to Jacoby's profile?

No - it's me pointing out that you are ridiculous.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Injury-prone is a medical term and nothing else. Schumpeters gets terribly confused. If an outfielder has bad judgement and gets into a collision with another player then he is RECKLESS.  Why do you people get into arguements over semantics.  There is no way to prove that Beltre or Ellsbury were RECKLESS unless you can read their minds. Why not do what 99% of RSN does and decide that it was a freak accident. Argue, argue, argue, complain, complain, complain, whine, whine, whine. What a circus. One player ran into another player - don't have a cow over it?

Everyone hates you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

Moonslav try saying i got it, if you notice you can say it without any lip

movement honestly I don' think  it's easy to hear it from your  tv.

A player has pretty good sense when he is going deep in the outfield to

allow the outfielder catch it. Pedroia does this alot a great player I agree

but he needs be told by the manager to letthe outfielder who is coming in

to catch the ball.  Try saying a few times I got iiit,  you will see you can say it

without using lips. Coco was lousy hitter Ellsbury was the future and he was

forced to play left.  I still hope that somehow he is signed. I can see Ellsbury

and Bradley and Stanton patroling the outfield for many years.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No - it's me pointing out that you are ridiculous.

OK. Jacoby is reckless. I point it out, and therefor I am being ridiculous.

Got it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to FantaSox's comment:

Moonslav try saying i got it, if you notice you can say it without any lip

movement honestly I don' think  it's easy to hear it from your  tv.

Seriously? I watched the play dozens of times. Jacoby did not say, "I got it".  Honestly, you need to accept that and move on.

A player has pretty good sense when he is going deep in the outfield to

allow the outfielder catch it. Pedroia does this alot a great player I agree

but he needs be told by the manager to letthe outfielder who is coming in

to catch the ball.  Try saying a few times I got iiit,  you will see you can say it

without using lips. Coco was lousy hitter Ellsbury was the future and he was

forced to play left.  I still hope that somehow he is signed. I can see Ellsbury

and Bradley and Stanton patroling the outfield for many years.

It's impossible to scream loudly, "I got it!" without moving your lips. I have seen his and every other OF'ers lips move over and over and over on play after play when calling, "I got it!"

Stop blaming Beltre for doing what he is supposed to do.

Stop blaming Francona for not teaching what all OF'ers learn in little league.

Ellsbury is a darn good player who has improved as a fielder over the years. I have defended Jacoby as much if not more than anyone on this board, but on this issue, I am certain he was at fault for his own injury.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

Well moon we will agree to disagree Happy New year to you

and to every Red Sox fan on this board. Let's hope we have a team

we can be proud of in 2013

Sections
Shortcuts