Do you want Tim Wakefield back next year?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Do you want Tim Wakefield back next year?

considering you'd rather see guys who walk 7 in 3 IP and give up 14 baserunners in 5 IP, I'd say your expectations are rather high for a No. 5 starter who goes 7 IP, allowing 3 hits (1 a bunt single) on a night his team scored 1 run on 3 hits over 9 IP with no MVP Gonzalez in the lineup. Better options? What a moronic timing for this thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

morning DC

What a moronic timing for this thread.

just the fact of having this conversation about next yr

in july seems silly to me

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

pin, this guy is typical of what this forum is now famous for--dump guys who perform over guys who don't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Absolutely dcater this thread is sad, chances are davethedumdum is a BDC plant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

burrito, how funny, that's exactly what i was thinking. There's a few guys who post (fireballer??) who I swear cut and paste Boston Globe articles and then say "what do you think?"....BDC plants...yup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's so funny about "trust"....I can't trust Wakefield! I can't trust his pitch! I can't trust that he can go 60 pitches! Trust!!! Hell, I can't trust that Carl Crawford can swing at a strike thrown in an at bat with runners on 1st and 3rd in a tie game in the 9th. Trust? Give me a f-ing break.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Does anyone trust that Mike Cameron could have hit any worst than he did as a Sox? Didn't the Sox trust him to take over center? Trust? . . . Practice? Practice? You're going to talk about practice?...Who trusted John Smoltz in any start he had as a Sox? I didn't, that's for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Do you want Tim Wakefield back next year?:
    burrito, how funny, that's exactly what i was thinking. There's a few guys who post (fireballer??) who I swear cut and paste Boston Globe articles and then say "what do you think?"....BDC plants...yup.
    Posted by dannycater

I agree, its such a 5th grade classroom teacher assignment type of question. The BDC look at us like children (because we act like children Innocent,) thus this thread sticks out as such.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Absolutely I want Wakefield back next year!  How valuable has he been to the Red Sox this year?  Sometimes, it seems difficult to find a role for him, but inevitably, starters are going to go down, then Wake fills a much needed role.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

twice-grilled, you are correct on that. There is a 5th grade mentality to this room at times. Hell, I drop to that level at times myself, only because I can't get through to some people that baseball has 7,000 variables, only each variable has some impact on what way the wind blows, what way a hit goes, who is playing where, who is on the mound, etc, etc., and so on, and so on. It is insane that anyone doesn't just applaud Wakefield for what was probably his best start of the season. And to go back to another thread, now that he threw this "big game" and the team lost, what happens now? Does today also become a "big game" start. Does anyone ever say, "This is an important start for Lester, Beckett, Lackey." No, and there's the double standards with one pitcher who is a 5th starter being lumped into the big name, big salary starters who are supposed to be the ones that the Sox rely on as No. 4---but that guy won 4 straight starts...:-)...The 45-year-old fossil is healthy, where is our No. 3 guy? DL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Kimmi, you and I and maybe moon are probably three in an ocean who want him back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If he was 50 and did what he did last night, I'd want him back. Do people not get that the Doubront's, the Millers, the Smoltzs, the Pennys, the Portugals, the rotating 1 start phenoms the Sox have used in rotation starts over the last several years just can't sustain, let alone go 2 starts that go well in a row? Wakefield has been an icon, was an icon from 03-09 as an exclusive starter. The role changed after he had successful back surgery. He has been the team's 6th starter ever since, and performs at 4th starter quality. It's just that people just can't accept his age, his pitch, and that he does give up homers--it's what happens with a fly ball pitcher. Bert Blyleven entered the HOF, and he gave up 40 homers one season. like it matters that if Wakefield threw conventionally, somehow homers don't get hit off of other pitchers??

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Wakefield gave up I think 7 homers in a game v. Detroit way back when. If he gives up 7 homers in a month, you'd think he committed a kid crime, the way some people go crazy that he allowed a homer. I've never seen Lackey, Beckett, Lester give up homers. Nope, they just get tagged for long fly balls that leave the ballpark. Only Wakefield allows homers in a 1-1 game in the 7th inning. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i'll talk to your face, huckleberry. Any time. I criticize your discourse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Do you want Tim Wakefield back next year?:
    Kimmi, you and I and maybe moon are probably three in an ocean who want him back.
    Posted by dannycater

Yeah, I don't understand the disdain that many have for Wake.  He's obviously not an ace, but he is a very solid #5 starter, better than what most teams have.  He'll keep his team in the game more times than not, and will eat up some innings.  On top of that, he's a class act on and off the field. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Can't argue. I support Wakefield but at the same time I hope he will retire at the end of the year. That said, he is a 50/50 to pitch a good game where Lackey seems more like 30/70, same for Miller.

Wake has value on the team right now, and that is how bad it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

but burrito, how many guys are better than 50-50 in the No. 5 spot? just throwing that out there. And I know you are no different in how you feel about Wakefield than most of the fans out there, who are frustrated that the Sox do rely on him. Not saying that to be condescending, just that I really don't see what is wrong with him being in the rotation. He doesn't seem any different than he was during 03-09. I think he hasn't thrown as many outright "gems" this year or last, but he's been serviceable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I mean visualize him as a conventional starter, then do his numbers or look at any box score he throws. Is he as "scary" as 100 percent of the 5th starters on 90 percent of the team in MLB?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If Tito took him out after the 6th inning of his last 2 starts, wouldn't people be saying, "hey, tim is saving this team with some critical starts with Clay out" Don't the Sox have a bullpen that you can pull a guy after 6? Isn't 6 the new 8?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And Kimmi really brought out the most important point, and that is Tito is trying to stretch starters who do well, knowing he may need the relievers to go in those extra inning games, Lackey imploded starts, Miller failures to get out of the 4th, etc....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I understand, and even up until late last year I was critical of Tito not giving Tim a regular turn in the rotation. As I said we basically need him right now.

I just think, and I have been wrong enough, that its time to finally cut ties at the end of the year... it will only get to be more controversial next season. I'd like him to retire while he can still pitch like he did yesterday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Knave may refer to: Knave (magazine), a British adult magazine; A male servant; A journeyman; Another name for the Jack in a deck of cards ...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In Response to Do you want Tim Wakefield back next year?:
    I respect Wakefield and what he's accomplished over his long career, but he's a middle-aged knuckleball pitcher who can rarely be trusted for more than five or six innings. Are there really no better options out there? Should Wake be in a Red Sox uniform in 2012?
    Posted by davetheknave

HELL YES, I WANT HIM BACK!  HE IS THE BEST VALUE IN MLB!!

Sections
Shortcuts