Dodgers won but got hosed over homeplate call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Dodgers won but got hosed over homeplate call

Wow. the Dodgers got scre_ed last night on that  play at the plate. Ellis was never tagged by Molina, therefore, he was safe and they should have been the winners. Great throw, but a another horrible call by the umps. What do you all think? GO SOX.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Re: Dodgers won but got hosed over homeplate call

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Any doubt goes to "he's out" on a play to the plate. Great throw and nice block by Molina. Are you familiar with the "in the vicinity" double play call where the ball and 2nd baseman or SS beat the runner to the plate. Of course you are. 

He's out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Blah blah. Yeah, but a play at the plate requires a tag my friend. A play at 2nd is far different then a play at the plate. No tag, great throw as I already stated, good block, but no tag. Safe. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any doubt goes to "he's out" on a play to the plate. Great throw and nice block by Molina. Are you familiar with the "in the vicinity" double play call where the ball and 2nd baseman or SS beat the runner to the plate. Of course you are. 

[/QUOTE]

Blah blah. Yeah, but a play at the plate requires a tag my friend. A play at 2nd is far different then a play at the plate. No tag, great throw as I already stated, good block, but no tag. Safe. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is the fourth time in the playoffs that a vicinity play was made at a base.  Fourth.  And two of those calls benefitted the Sox.  It's going to be called an out when the catcher clearly has the plate blocked and the throw is on the money.  

Not surprised at all about that call.  Dodgers' hubris will lead to their departure. St Louis is going to beat that team, with or without  a call at the plate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

That call is always made but the Op is right. Yadi turned to 

absorb the blow and never came close to tagging Ellis. It may be

called but the rules call for a tag. Changes the rule if you want to protect

the catcher, but until they do safe is safe

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is the fourth time in the playoffs that a vicinity play was made at a base.  Fourth.  And two of those calls benefitted the Sox.  It's going to be called an out when the catcher clearly has the plate blocked and the throw is on the money.  

Not surprised at all about that call.  Dodgers' hubris will lead to their departure. St Louis is going to beat that team, with or without  a call at the plate.

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't care who wins. Just funny to me how the horrible announcers last night were afraid to bring it up. They lightly touched on it then quickly left it. I can't wait to see the SOX take on the Tigers. GO SOX

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's going to be interesting to see how the "phantom base tag" on the DP and the plays at the plate are affected by instant replay next year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's going to be interesting to see how the "phantom base tag" on the DP and the plays at the plate are affected by instant replay next year. 

[/QUOTE]

it will be

but I'm not sure mattingly would have even challenged this one

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=31127011&c_id=mlb

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, but a play at the plate requires a tag my friend. A play at 2nd is far different then a play at the plate. No tag, great throw as I already stated, good block, but no tag. Safe. 

Yea, but a force out at 2nd requires the fielder to actually "tag" the bag with his foot. 

He's out, just take a look at the box score!

[/QUOTE]

You just can't let it go can you redsoxfireman. So, does it make it right that he never tagged him or that plays at second are "in the vincinity". No. Ok. No tag was applied. That is all I am saying. You say out I say safe. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it will be

but I'm not sure mattingly would have even challenged this one

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=31127011&c_id=mlb

[/QUOTE]

I just watched Mattingly's pregame press conference and he basically said that until he understands exactly how the replay system will work next year, he's not sure how he'll handle it...Example he used was the way the NFL currently handles turnovers and touchdowns, both are reviewed in the booth so if MLB reviews all close scoring plays at The plate It'll take it out of the managers hands...which makes sense...He also stated that everyone in the ballpark that watched the play to include the two participants never questioned the call since it's been an out in baseball since the days of Cobb...the ball beat him, the collision ensued, the catcher held on to the ball the runners out. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow. the Dodgers got scre_ed last night on that  play at the plate. Ellis was never tagged by Molina, therefore, he was safe and they should have been the winners. Great throw, but a another horrible call by the umps. What do you all think? GO SOX.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he was tagged

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The runner is never called safe on a collision play like that. The catcher has the ball and the runner bowls him over. He is out as long as the catcher holds onto the ball. Technically, you could argue that the tag was not directly applied, but I have never seen it called. Even the runner did not argue the call. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Your kidding me.

Sections
Shortcuts