Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Fortget that metrics junk. Let me see Aviles lead Boston like Jete leads NY. I can see it now - bottom of the 9th, you have a choice between Jeter and Aviles with the game on the line. Who are you sending to the plate to hit? Aviles - good luck with that.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Hey Jessey, you're still living with the past... Jeter is history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

In response to "Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?":
    In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Hey Jessey, you're still living with the past... Jeter is history. Posted by BenitoMyHero
    I thought jeter retired a long time ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I'll give Jeter the defensive edge too.
    Posted by ThatWasMe

Jeter will certainly make less errors. He's completely given up going after anything to his left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In response to "Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?": I thought jeter retired a long time ago.
    Posted by small-package

No he is still hanging on, squeezing the Yankees, for as many millions as he can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

What a dreadful day for the Sox and its fans if they found out that Aviles had been traded for Jeter straight up. Mass suicides, gnashing of teeth, the works!
    Accompanied by dancing in the street in Times Square to know we got Aviles!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :   No he is still hanging on, squeezing the Yankees, for as many millions as he can.
    Posted by attic-dan

Although he has limited range, he hit .297 last year with a high FPct; how did your SS's do?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

In response to "Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?":
    In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Although he has limited range, he hit .297 last year with a high FPct; how did your SS's do? Posted by nhsteven
    Last year? How did he do in the WS? Time to worry about this year pal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Although he has limited range, he hit .297 last year with a high FPct; how did your SS's do?
    Posted by nhsteven

He hit .299 with more range

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Although he has limited range, he hit .297 last year with a high FPct; how did your SS's do?
    Posted by nhsteven

Are you telling me he is worth the money, they are paying him. Most players of today get paid for future performance, he is getting paid for his past. Jeter true market value ia for about a third of what he's making.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :    Are you telling me he is worth the money, they are paying him. Most players of today get paid for future performance, he is getting paid for his past. Jeter true market value ia for about a third of what he's making.
    Posted by attic-dan

Realistically, who is worth the money they are paid?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to "Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?": Last year? How did he do in the WS? Time to worry about this year pal.
    Posted by small-package

I was just referring to the most recent performance, since that is all we can go by at the moment. As far as PS action and this year is concerned, you didn't have to worry about it the last couple of yrs, and I doubt you'll have to worry about it this yr. 

Since only 1 team can get the ring each yr, throwing an out of context dig about the WS, especially considering what happened to your team last yr, heavy favorite and all (and which got to their heads) is, well, the last desperation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :   He hit .299 with more range
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Dugh, I already said that; then why isn't he on the team? Is he even slated to start this yr with Tulo in his way?

I also went to a game in Pitt last yr, where the ball went through his legs, resulting in a loss to the lowly Pirates, LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :    Are you telling me he is worth the money, they are paying him. Most players of today get paid for future performance, he is getting paid for his past. Jeter true market value ia for about a third of what he's making.
    Posted by attic-dan

Few older players are worth the money; the ARod contract is abysmal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by attic-dan

Actually Dan, when it comes to Superstar F.A.'s, they are being paid based on past performance and what their potential is for the first 2/3rds of the new contract. Teams who sign players to these 7 - 10 year deals certainly do not expect that player to perform at the levels they did while in their prime.

In the case of A-Rod, Fat Hank made the mistake of not holding Dopey's feet to the fire. This is why Hank has zero say in contract negotiations anymore. In fact, he is pretty much out of the business altogether. if there is one redeeming aspect of this stupid contract is that it is now on the downward slope of pay scale.

As for Jeter's contract, what choices did NY have? They had no choice but to resign him & try and make him happy at the same time. Jeter is an icon in NYC; his market value to the organization outside of actual team play is worth as much as his contract. Is he worth 17 million a year for his on the field play - no. But his value to NY is beyond any measurable statistics.  In the era of baseball which we are in, how many superstar players have or are going to retire having only played for one team? Chipper Jones this year with Atlanta, Bernie Williams several years ago, Posada last year and Mo and Jeter in the near future.  I think the last ones to do so in Boston were Dewey and Rice & that was in the early 90's. I am sure there may be a couple of others, but none which come to the top of my head. So out of 5 players I recall, 4 are Yankees. He will retire as a Yankee after the 2014 season and as one of the greatest shortstops of all-time. And that is part of the team legacy which this organization holds as close to their hearts as actual championships.

Do you think California expects Pujols to perform at the levels he has 7 years from now, forget about 10 years from now. He already appears to be showing a leveling off to possible downward turn (Slightest measurable amount). Same goes for most of these long term contracts.

There is something to be said about the stability of a team and a line-up. People make fun of the Yank's age and hope it will catch up to them & one day it will. But they are putting the same exact line-up out there this year, except for Posada as last year. If you don't think that is a plus, then we view the game a little differently. Look at all the b*tching that has gone on in Boston for years regarding the SS position.

So Jeter's overall value to NY and the organization is far greater than what his contract is paying him even if he is no longer statistically showing that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Actually Dan, when it comes to Superstar F.A.'s, they are being paid based on past performance and what their potential is for the first 2/3rds of the new contract. Teams who sign players to these 7 - 10 year deals certainly do not expect that player to perform at the levels they did while in their prime. In the case of A-Rod, Fat Hank made the mistake of not holding Dopey's feet to the fire. This is why Hank has zero say in contract negotiations anymore. In fact, he is pretty much out of the business altogether. if there is one redeeming aspect of this stupid contract is that it is now on the downward slope of pay scale. As for Jeter's contract, what choices did NY have? They had no choice but to resign him & try and make him happy at the same time. Jeter is an icon in NYC; his market value to the organization outside of actual team play is worth as much as his contract. Is he worth 17 million a year for his on the field play - no. But his value to NY is beyond any measurable statistics.  In the era of baseball which we are in, how many superstar players have or are going to retire having only played for one team? Chipper Jones this year with Atlanta, Bernie Williams several years ago, Posada last year and Mo and Jeter in the near future.  I think the last ones to do so in Boston were Dewey and Rice & that was in the early 90's. I am sure there may be a couple of others, but none which come to the top of my head. So out of 5 players I recall, 4 are Yankees. He will retire as a Yankee after the 2014 season and as one of the greatest shortstops of all-time. And that is part of the team legacy which this organization holds as close to their hearts as actual championships. Do you think California expects Pujols to perform at the levels he has 7 years from now, forget about 10 years from now. He already appears to be showing a leveling off to possible downward turn (Slightest measurable amount). Same goes for most of these long term contracts. There is something to be said about the stability of a team and a line-up. People make fun of the Yank's age and hope it will catch up to them & one day it will. But they are putting the same exact line-up out there this year, except for Posada as last year. If you don't think that is a plus, then we view the game a little differently. Look at all the b*tching that has gone on in Boston for years regarding the SS position. So Jeter's overall value to NY and the organization is far greater than what his contract is paying him even if he is no longer statistically showing that.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Albert Pujols is a natural product... A-Rod is an artificial product.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Dugh, I already said that; then why isn't he on the team? Is he even slated to start this yr with Tulo in his way? I also went to a game in Pitt last yr, where the ball went through his legs, resulting in a loss to the lowly Pirates, LOL
    Posted by nhsteven

Hey listen I'm not tryign to take anything away from Jeter....I'm just saying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Albert Pujols is a natural product... A-Rod is an artificial product.
    Posted by BenitoMyHero

You are no Beni my friend. But keep trying, just like the little red engine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : You are no Beni my friend. But keep trying, just like the little red engine.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Hey Jessey, you didn't answer my post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Actually Dan, when it comes to Superstar F.A.'s, they are being paid based on past performance and what their potential is for the first 2/3rds of the new contract. Teams who sign players to these 7 - 10 year deals certainly do not expect that player to perform at the levels they did while in their prime. In the case of A-Rod, Fat Hank made the mistake of not holding Dopey's feet to the fire. This is why Hank has zero say in contract negotiations anymore. In fact, he is pretty much out of the business altogether. if there is one redeeming aspect of this stupid contract is that it is now on the downward slope of pay scale. As for Jeter's contract, what choices did NY have? They had no choice but to resign him & try and make him happy at the same time. Jeter is an icon in NYC; his market value to the organization outside of actual team play is worth as much as his contract. Is he worth 17 million a year for his on the field play - no. But his value to NY is beyond any measurable statistics.  In the era of baseball which we are in, how many superstar players have or are going to retire having only played for one team? Chipper Jones this year with Atlanta, Bernie Williams several years ago, Posada last year and Mo and Jeter in the near future.  I think the last ones to do so in Boston were Dewey and Rice & that was in the early 90's. I am sure there may be a couple of others, but none which come to the top of my head. So out of 5 players I recall, 4 are Yankees. He will retire as a Yankee after the 2014 season and as one of the greatest shortstops of all-time. And that is part of the team legacy which this organization holds as close to their hearts as actual championships. Do you think California expects Pujols to perform at the levels he has 7 years from now, forget about 10 years from now. He already appears to be showing a leveling off to possible downward turn (Slightest measurable amount). Same goes for most of these long term contracts. There is something to be said about the stability of a team and a line-up. People make fun of the Yank's age and hope it will catch up to them & one day it will. But they are putting the same exact line-up out there this year, except for Posada as last year. If you don't think that is a plus, then we view the game a little differently. Look at all the b*tching that has gone on in Boston for years regarding the SS position. So Jeter's overall value to NY and the organization is far greater than what his contract is paying him even if he is no longer statistically showing that.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jesseyeric, I happen to agree on much you said. Here is where I differ, Jeter of '11' had one and only one team bidding for his services and IMO he held up the Yankees into giving him 3 times his worth in the open market. BTW what makes you think he is going to retire at end of contract. He was trying to get a five year deal last year, so I'm sure he thinks he has more than the next two years. In Pujols case at this point in time he is a 20-25 million dollar player. Yes the years are excessive, but he had mucho teams interested in paying him, which differs from Jeter. Derek has somehow been given "sacred cow" stature, with the Yankees bending over backwards for him, The Yankees can live without him just as they have moved on from past greats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Hey Jessey, you didn't answer my post.
    Posted by BenitoMyHero

Why answer when it answers itself? A-Rod admitted to his failures after his name was illegally obtained and leaked from the list of 103. It is unlikely that he will ever be inducted into the HoF and his legacy will forever be tainted. You reap what you sow. Albert's name has not been leaked, nor has he admitted to PED usage. So the point is moot.

So what is your point anyway since it has nothing to do with this thread that you created to begin with? Pure amateur.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :   Jesseyeric, I happen to agree on much you said. Here is where I differ, Jeter of '11' had one and only one team bidding for his services and IMO he held up the Yankees into giving him 3 times his worth in the open market. BTW what makes you think he is going to retire at end of contract. He was trying to get a five year deal last year, so I'm sure he thinks he has more than the next two years. In Pujols case at this point in time he is a 20-25 million dollar player. Yes the years are excessive, but he had mucho teams interested in paying him, which differs from Jeter. Derek has somehow been given "sacred cow" stature, with the Yankees bending over backwards for him, The Yankees can live without him just as they have moved on from past greats.
    Posted by attic-dan

As mentioned before, he does own sacred cow status in these parts. Personally, I am not one who bows at the alter of Jeter. I think he screwed up royally in 2004 - 2008. His animosity towards A-Rod formed a wedge in that clubhouse which hurt the team. A true captain would have ironed his differences out in the first day of S.T.

That being said, if Jeter was left to hang out & dry during those contract negotiations, the NY media and fan base would have been up in arms. You are right, they could have played real hard ball with him and probably gotten the contract down to 40 mil for 4 years. But it would have caused another breach in the clubhouse and when you are already investing 200 million in your product, why quibble over a few more, especially when your revenue stream is so large and Jeter is one of the reasons for that heavy flow. And I personally believe that if there was a real stall in negotiations, a couple of teams would have come out in the last minute and try to sign him @ 13 - 14 million. He will produce revenue for any team. He is still the face of MLB.

I think he retires because he saw what Posada went through and unless he is still a .300 + hitter, I think he walks away with dignity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : As mentioned before, he does own sacred cow status in these parts . Personally, I am not one who bows at the alter of Jeter. I think he screwed up royally in 2004 - 2008. His animosity towards A-Rod formed a wedge in that clubhouse which hurt the team. A true captain would have ironed his differences out in the first day of S.T. That being said, if Jeter was left to hang out & dry during those contract negotiations, the NY media and fan base would have been up in arms. You are right, they could have played real hard ball with him and probably gotten the contract down to 40 mil for 4 years. But it would have caused another breach in the clubhouse and when you are already investing 200 million in your product, why quibble over a few more, especially when your revenue stream is so large and Jeter is one of the reasons for that heavy flow. And I personally believe that if there was a real stall in negotiations, a couple of teams would have come out in the last minute and try to sign him @ 13 - 14 million. He will produce revenue for any team. He is still the face of MLB. I think he retires because he saw what Posada went through and unless he is still a .300 + hitter, I think he walks away with dignity.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Again I agree with you, more than I care to admit. Jeter is playing in different era. I cut my baseball bones rooting against the Yankees of the early sixties, I remember rooting for Mantle in "61" rather than Maris to break Ruth's record. To this day I sometimes filter my observations through those eyes, forgetting that the game and times have changed. One thing we can agree on is that Derek has always been a class act, who plays the game right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :   Again I agree with you, more than I care to admit. Jeter is playing in different era. I cut my baseball bones rooting against the Yankees of the early sixties, I remember rooting for Mantle in "61" rather than Maris to break Ruth's record. To this day I sometimes filter my observations through those eyes, forgetting that the game and times have changed. One thing we can agree on is that Derek has always been a class act, who plays the game right.
    Posted by attic-dan

Good point; I've done the same thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Jeter will certainly make less errors. He's completely given up going after anything to his left.
    Posted by ThefourBs

I would be more concerned with the erorrs Aviles will make with the ball hit directly to him.

This season with Aviles at ss should be entertaining.

Sections
Shortcuts