Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I would be more concerned with the erorrs Aviles will make with the ball hit directly to him. This season with Aviles at ss should be entertaining.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Aviles' defense is solid. his bat more than makes up for any defensive defeciency.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? :   Again I agree with you, more than I care to admit. Jeter is playing in different era. I cut my baseball bones rooting against the Yankees of the early sixties, I remember rooting for Mantle in "61" rather than Maris to break Ruth's record. To this day I sometimes filter my observations through those eyes, forgetting that the game and times have changed. One thing we can agree on is that Derek has always been a class act, who plays the game right.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

I was only 3 during that historic run in 61, but I would probably have done the same; root for Mantle.

Fans have attached the dynasty to Jeter since he was a rookie in 96 when they took home their first championship since the 78 team. And I would agree that on the field, he has played the game right. Off the field is another story. He is too premeditated with his words, much like DiMaggio was. Personally, I don't think Jeter has been a great captain and in all fairness, although A-Rod was an idiot for his comments, what he said in that interview was the truth. From 96 - 2000, pitchers feared Bernie, Paul O'Neil, Tino Martinez and the Yankee pitching.  However, one thing he has always been is consistent which is why the second half of last year didn't surprise me. Let's just hope he stays away from Minka. He does better when he is out whoring than when he is a committed man. Tongue Out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Fortget that metrics junk. Let me see Aviles lead Boston like Jete leads NY. I can see it now - bottom of the 9th, you have a choice between Jeter and Aviles with the game on the line. Who are you sending to the plate to hit? Aviles - good luck with that.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

By that measure, you should DFA A-rod :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : By that measure, you should DFA A-rod :)
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

He should have been for last years playoffs. Girardi had no business starting him because of his injury.

As to you bringing him up now in the conversation makes no sense. He is not part of the equation. 

You
    claimed that Aviles will have a better WAR than Jeter this year. You made this a Yankee vs Sox issue and I responded in kind that if you were a manager and had a 9th inning situation and your choices were Aviles or Jeter, I think you would choose Jeter. That is just an opinion. I am not taking away from who Aviles is as a player - I don't know much about him. I know he had a good rookie campaign in 2008, but since then has put up pedestrian numbers. To choose him over a HoFer, admittedly an aging one seems a bit over the top to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I'd still go with Aviles.  I'll bet you even money that the sox have a better WAR from SS than the yanks in 2012.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be at all surprised. Jeter is on the way down folks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I wouldn't be at all surprised. Jeter is on the way down folks.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's not a secret for anybody.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I wouldn't be at all surprised. Jeter is on the way down folks.

Has any SS at 37 been on the way up? Better yet, when was the last time the RS had a starting SS at this age (NOMAH is better certainly didn't last)? Answer: Aparicio, in the early 70s, albeit a couple of steps slower, as to be expected, like Jeter. What does Aparicio & Jeter have in common? Hint: HOF

Note: I saw Aparicio on the Sox in a game vs the Yankees (at age 39); a grounder was hit in the hole; he calmly and via non-chalance corralled it. flipped his wrist, and the ball went like a bullet to 1B, the batter out by a mile. That play, and similar non-chalant plays by Clemente & Yaz, sticks in my head even now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I'd still go with Aviles.  I'll bet you even money that the sox have a better WAR from SS than the yanks in 2012.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

What other teams besides the RS have the GM & MGR currently at odds over who the starting SS is? This kind of reminds me of your take on Salty last yr. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : What other teams besides the RS have the GM & MGR currently at odds over who the starting SS is? This kind of reminds me of your take on Salty last yr. 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

The latest news reports are that both management and bv are in agreement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : The latest news reports are that both management and bv are in agreement.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

You would think an organization like the RS would eventually resolve this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : The latest news reports are that both management and bv are in agreement.

Not the latest from ESPN.COM

New guys in the dugout: Ozzie and Bobby V

They're not just familiar faces. They're familiar voices. You don't just see Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Valentine coming. You hear them coming.

[+] EnlargeOzzie Guillen
    Steve Mitchell/US PresswireOzzie Guillen has brought a new attitude to his new club in Miami.

So which of these two high-profile, high-volume managers will be the better fit on his new team (Ozzie in Miami, Bobby V in Boston)? We went into this spring thinking it would be Valentine. We're not so sure anymore.

The Ozzie Show seems to have worked in South Florida exactly the way it was supposed to. He has run a fun, upbeat camp. He has connected with Hanley Ramirez, who told us recently Ozzie is "a great man." And from all appearances, this journey from Chicago to Miami hasn't only been good for his team. It's been good for Oswaldo Guillen.

"After the things that happened in Chicago," said one longtime friend, "I think this is what he needed. A clean break was the best thing that could have happened for him."

"If they just let him be Ozzie, everything will be good," said another old friend. "If you just let him do his thing, you get the energy and guys feed off it. If you try and rein him in, he loses what makes him great. And so far at least, it seems like it's a great fit."

We should remember, of course, that it started out this way on the South Side, too. And then, well, stuff happened. So who knows how this act will play over the long haul in Miami? But over Guillen's first month and a half in this gig, "it looks like his honesty has been appreciated," said one baseball man who has seen the Marlins a lot. And we're not sure you can say that about Bobby Valentine and his new team.

This felt like a tremendous marriage the day an emotional Bobby V was introduced to the media and the masses in Boston back on Dec. 1. But that day "seems like eight years ago now," Valentine said this spring.

"It was a good feeling," the manager reminisced. "I haven't had that feeling in a long time. So you enjoy it for a couple of minutes. Then reality sets in."

And that reality, it turns out, hasn't been quite so euphoric -- to the point that scouts covering the Red Sox are already worried about Valentine's fit for this job. Listen to the words of one scout who once worked with Bobby V in a prior incarnation:

"He's a brilliant baseball guy," the scout said. "It's just, the other stuff gets in the way of the brilliance so easily. … His intellect gets in the way. He's always trying to win that chess match. Everything has to be a tug o' war."

Valentine is so different from Terry Francona, everyone knew this mix could turn tense at some point. But "I just didn't think it would happen this fast," the same scout said.

"I hate to say it, but these players could stick it to him," he went on. "It'll be all or nothing. I don't think there can be anything in between with this bunch. If things don't start out all rosy, I worry that he could lose control of that club quickly. He's dealing with some high-maintenance guys. They proved that last year. And they're just not used to a guy who can be this honest. He's been The Story too much this spring. And these players could easily get tired of it."

We still think Bobby Valentine was the right choice for the Red Sox in this time and place. But we agree with the scouts who have warned us all spring: "This thing bears watching."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : You would think an organization like the RS would eventually resolve this.

Resolve speculation in the media? Please curtail the obvious trolling Steve.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Resolve speculation in the media? Please curtail the obvious trolling Steve.

You are completely off-base; although they have a hand in practically everything, I was not referring to the media here; that's the Rush Limbaugh/FOX excuse. As far as trolling is concerned, with your track record you've got to be kidding.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Trolling is coming to a Red Sox forum and attempting to inflame and irritate Red Sox fans. I have NEVER done that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

[QUOTE]Trolling is coming to a Red Sox forum and attempting to inflame and irritate Red Sox fans. I have NEVER done that.

Hey lowell, are you the old Mike ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Hey lowell, are you the old Mike ?
    Posted by BenitoMyHero[/QUOTE]

Mikey? Don't confuse the policeman with the criminal. Don't confuse positivity with negativity. One needs a moral compass. Trolling is not subjective.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Trolling is coming to a Red Sox forum and attempting to inflame and irritate Red Sox fans. I have NEVER done that.

LOL, you do it every day, either consciously or not. Having all those identities is a good litmus test.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Mikey? Don't confuse the policeman with the criminal. Don't confuse positivity with negativity. One needs a moral compass. Trolling is not subjective.

It depends; are you Inspector Javert?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]This is all very confusing to me. All I am sure of is that this TBINFL is a Jack-Azz. It surprises me that so many here like him.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

OK there calzonesaysthis. What happened to kim, pike?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Moyer at least until recently gave you a chance to win, though his era was comparable to Wakefield the difference was that Moyer would have one start allowing no runs and then give up ten the next.

Wakefield just flat out gave 5 runs up every start, never giving his team a chance to win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Keep hoping and one day you will all be correct.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I

n Response to Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    [QUOTE]  HI ! For your information, this is not an old timer's day  roster.... These are the 2012 New York Yankees. Mariano Rivera (42) Andy Pettitte (39) Raul Ibanez (39) Hiroki Kuroda (38) Derek Jeter (38) A-Rod (37) Freddy Garcia (36) Pedro Feliciano (35) Eric Chavez (35) Andreu Jones... Oh my God.
    Posted by BenitoMyHero[/QUOTE]

Benito Mussolini is your hero?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : He should have been for last years playoffs. Girardi had no business starting him because of his injury. As to you bringing him up now in the conversation makes no sense. He is not part of the equation.  You claimed that Aviles will have a better WAR than Jeter this year. You made this a Yankee vs Sox issue and I responded in kind that if you were a manager and had a 9th inning situation and your choices were Aviles or Jeter, I think you would choose Jeter. That is just an opinion. I am not taking away from who Aviles is as a player - I don't know much about him. I know he had a good rookie campaign in 2008, but since then has put up pedestrian numbers. To choose him over a HoFer, admittedly an aging one seems a bit over the top to me.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Your argument is based on emotional response.  You remember clutch moments throughout Jeter's career, maybe more than a decade ago, and apply them to the player currently taking the field.  If the quality of a player's  clutch career at-bats was a measure of his value to his current team, what does that say about A-Rod?  Is there a player you would less rather have at the plate in a must-win game with the game on the line?

Nobody was more clutch than Ortiz at one time, but I'm not under the delusion that he is the same player he once was.  Adrian Gonzalez is unproven in high-pressure situations, but he is the player I would rather see at the plate in that situation.

Mike Aviles has had 1249 ABs in major-league baseball.  The majority of those ABs were in the midst of an anemic Kansas City lineup.  Over the past 1249 ABs for Jeter, Aviles has the edge in batting average, slugging and OPS.  Aviles turned 31 years old 2 weeks ago.   Jeter will be 38 in June.  Maybe Jeter will have a bounce-back season, but on day one of the 2012 season, I'd prefer Aviles up in the ninth inning with the game on the line.  And I'd much prefer him on the field in innings 1 - 8.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : What other teams besides the RS have the GM & MGR currently at odds over who the starting SS is? This kind of reminds me of your take on Salty last yr. 

I'd put Salty in my win column.  His .737 OPS was fifth best in the AL among catchers with at least 350 PAs (and that's counting Napoli as a catcher).  He had a 31% CS percentage.  The pitching and coaching staff rave about his work ethic.  The 'yips' proved to be a lot of hot air.  How exactly did he disappoint?  I expect the same and more in 2012.