Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I'd put Salty in my win column.  His .737 OPS was fifth best in the AL among catchers with at least 350 PAs (and that's counting Napoli as a catcher).  He had a 31% CS percentage.  The pitching and coaching staff rave about his work ethic.  The 'yips' proved to be a lot of hot air.  How exactly did he disappoint?  I expect the same and more in 2012.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Not a bad response, but also more of the alchemy variety; he had a .288 OBP, was 5th in OPS (out of 11 ) in only 386 PAs, and yet still had 26 PBs. This does not fit the definition of a catcher, and may be why it was not clear for a while who the 1st string catcher was this yr amongst him, Shoppach, & Lavarnway.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Your argument is based on emotional response.  You remember clutch moments throughout Jeter's career, maybe more than a decade ago, and apply them to the player currently taking the field.  If the quality of a player's  clutch career at-bats was a measure of his value to his current team, what does that say about A-Rod?  Is there a player you would less rather have at the plate in a must-win game with the game on the line? Nobody was more clutch than Ortiz at one time, but I'm not under the delusion that he is the same player he once was.  Adrian Gonzalez is unproven in high-pressure situations, but he is the player I would rather see at the plate in that situation. Mike Aviles has had 1249 ABs in major-league baseball.  The majority of those ABs were in the midst of an anemic Kansas City lineup.  Over the past 1249 ABs for Jeter, Aviles has the edge in batting average, slugging and OPS.  Aviles turned 31 years old 2 weeks ago.   Jeter will be 38 in June.  Maybe Jeter will have a bounce-back season, but on day one of the 2012 season, I'd prefer Aviles up in the ninth inning with the game on the line.  And I'd much prefer him on the field in innings 1 - 8.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Actually Slo - I am basing this purely on last year. recalculate Jeters numbers from the time he returned from the DL list and see what you come up with.

A-Rod is not in this conversation

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Again, I have no problem with negative rival team threads. I think it's normal on a sports board. But you should have just started one under your own name instead of immitating another poster -- unless your screenname is supposed to mean that Beni is your hero. It's just that your sig line doesn't fit, and seems more mocking.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Kim - this one is a pure amateur. he is soiling Beni's good name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Actually Slo - I am basing this purely on last year. recalculate Jeters numbers from the time he returned from the DL list and see what you come up with. A-Rod is not in this conversation
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Nunez hit .357 in Jeter's absence, the geezer he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Nunez hit .357 in Jeter's absence, the geezer he is.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Wasn't looking for Nunez's #'s. I think Jeter batted around .328 from the time he returned from the D/L list with much better power numbers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Wasn't looking for Nunez's #'s. I think Jeter batted around .328 from the time he returned from the D/L list with much better power numbers.

Pointed out Nunez numbers which he hit in Jeter's absence for those who talk about the age of the Yankee team.

They did win 97 games with Nunez as a fill in for Arod and Jeter.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Yankees have the greatest tradition. Thanks for that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Yes, the Yankees have the greatest tradition. Thanks for that.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

There's quite a few rings in that pic.

Something you don't see at a red flops Old Timers Day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE] man, this pic makes me realize just how large Goose was

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : There's quite a few rings in that pic. Something you don't see at a red flops Old Timers Day.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as well, but I would never use the name "red flops". They are a great franchise also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : I was thinking that as well, but I would never use the name "red flops". They are a great franchise also.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : We are all entitled to our own opinions.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Agreed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Not a bad response, but also more of the alchemy variety; he had a .288 OBP, was 5th in OPS (out of 11 ) in only 386 PAs, and yet still had 26 PBs. This does not fit the definition of a catcher , and may be why it was not clear for a while who the 1st string catcher was this yr amongst him, Shoppach, & Lavarnway.

The PBs were high, but at the end of the day, a PB is just an extra base for a base-runner, same as a stolen base.  If you were to put all of the PBs in the SB category, Salty would still have a 26% CS rate.  I imagine that number will drop significantly in 2012, with Wakefield off the staff.

The catching debate for the Sox is a testament to the Lavarnway's talent - it shouldn't take anything away from Salty.  I haven't heard any arguments for Shoppach being the starting catcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : Actually Slo - I am basing this purely on last year. recalculate Jeters numbers from the time he returned from the DL list and see what you come up with. A-Rod is not in this conversation

Jeter was very good the last three months of 2011, but his offensive struggles date back to 2010.  Jeter may still have something left in the tank, but in the post-steroid ERA, it's hard to find big offensive numbers from a 38-year-old.  Last year, the only player 38 years or older to have an OPS over .750 was Chipper Jones. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : The PBs were high, but at the end of the day, a PB is just an extra base for a base-runner, same as a stolen base.  If you were to put all of the PBs in the SB category, Salty would still have a 26% CS rate.  I imagine that number will drop significantly in 2012, with Wakefield off the staff. The catching debate for the Sox is a testament to the Lavarnway's talent - it shouldn't take anything away from Salty.  I haven't heard any arguments for Shoppach being the starting catcher.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

A valid response; I admit Salty was a successful project last yr; however, you may recall that the RS FO were kicking themselves in the pants for not getting Martin, and he was a Plan B; albeit a pretty good one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Anybody Know if the Yanks have the oldest ever roster in MLB History? : A valid response; I admit Salty was a successful project last yr; however, you may recall that the RS FO were kicking themselves in the pants for not getting Martin, and he was a Plan B; albeit a pretty good one.

I do give Martin a lot of credit for his work with the staff last year.  He seemed to bring out the best in them, and helped turn out a very strong performance in what could have been a very rough year.  I think he was a great pickup for the Yankees.

All things being equal, though, I think a year with Varitek was more valuable to Salty in the long run.  I'm not sure Salty is in the long-term plans, but he's 26 years old, and should be facing almost exclusively right-handed pitching in 2012.  It's not unrealistic to project an OPS near .800.  By the end of his Red Sox tenure, he could be a very attractive trade chip for a team struggling on offense.