Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????

it is our fault -we had Theo under contract, we let him go before getting compensation...it would have taken just a week of hardball before the Cubs wouldve said uncle....I have no idea why we didnt tell them up front that no garza, no Theo....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I would be happy with sending the Cubs Jenks, even if we have to cover $1M-$2M of his salary (freeing up room for Oswalt, who doesn't seem to want to pitch here, or Jackson).  It would help with our budget problems as well as our 40 man roster crunch.  This needs to be handled this week though (yes, I know it's Friday).  There's no reason that it should have taken so long once Selig was told by both teams to take care of it.  Realistically, this should have been addressed back in November.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've lost interest.  A low-level prospect or two is all that's coming.  Expecting anything more than that is dreaming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Geo is right. It is the Sox who made the mistake. The situation will be resolved by S.T., but I doubt it will be to RSN satisfaction.

It is entirely possible that Chicago will offer Miss Illinois, 2012 - Ashley Hooks as compensation to replace Heidi.

It's a good deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????:
    it is our fault -we had Theo under contract, we let him go before getting compensation...it would have taken just a week of hardball before the Cubs wouldve said uncle....I have no idea why we didnt tell them up front that no garza, no Theo....
    Posted by georom4

The Cubs wouldn't have agreed to it.  They could get an interim GM and wait a year for Theo.  Once Theo made it clear he was out of Boston the Sox were sunk.  You can't have a lame duck GM making decisions for you.

Plus there's no precedent for compensation in cases like this.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Botched or not, I haven't cared from the start.  There is no precedent for a front office operative leaving a club and that club getting valuable player compensation in return.  It was a low-level prospect from the start.  the Matt Garza pipedreams have been heelarious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????:
    In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : The Cubs wouldn't have agreed to it.  They could get an interim GM and wait a year for Theo.  Once Theo made it clear he was out of Boston the Sox were sunk.  You can't have a lame duck GM making decisions for you. Plus there's no precedent for compensation in cases like this.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I disagree...thr Cubbies needed Theo badly to turn the page and revive the franchise...no way were they going to wait a year for that...no way was theo going to accept sitting a yr being demoted to nothing for a yr while his contract expires...and we already Ben/Larry l in place to run things....our dumbness

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Selig will make his decision next weekend so the news gets lost in Super Bowl hoopla. The compensation will be absolutely minimal to the extent that it will be difficult to find any stats on the new sox low A return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The whole thing is an embarassment pointing to a team that was in disarray at the time we agreed to let Theo out of his contract. Being the classless punk that he's proven to be, he chose to play hardball with the man who loved him like a son and gave him his career. It is what it is. I normally wouldn't blame Selig much for a problem he didn't create, but once he made a public statement he assumed ownership of the issue. He should put up or shut up so we can get this behind us. I wouldn't expect much, but as a top 7 team in baseball it's rediculous we've let this drag on so long. I'm sure there's a fair amount of snickering in other front offices around the league over it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I'm just happy to have Theo gone.  If the Sox get a player and he turns out to be a total flub...it will just perpetuate the Theo thing on this board...and I already know more about the Cubs than I ever wanted to know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : I disagree...thr Cubbies needed Theo badly to turn the page and revive the franchise...no way were they going to wait a year for that...no way was theo going to accept sitting a yr being demoted to nothing for a yr while his contract expires...and we already Ben/Larry l in place to run things....our dumbness
    Posted by georom4

And I say there's no way on earth the Cubs were going to give up anything resembling a Garza...they would have looked like the biggest idiots in baseball history. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : And I say there's no way on earth the Cubs were going to give up anything resembling a Garza...they would have looked like the biggest idiots in baseball history. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I agree that there's no way the Cubs were giving up Garza, but IMO, the Sox had all the leverage before they agreed to let Theo leave.  The Cubs wanted him badly, and had already leaked stories to the press about acquiring him. I don't think there was any way they were going to let the deal fall through.  I don't really know what we could have gotten back in way of compensation, but it would have been better than what we're going to get now.  The Sox messed up in not agreeing to compensation before letting him go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : I agree that there's no way the Cubs were giving up Garza, but IMO, the Sox had all the leverage before they agreed to let Theo leave.  The Cubs wanted him badly, and had already leaked stories to the press about acquiring him. I don't think there was any way they were going to let the deal fall through.  I don't really know what we could have gotten back in way of compensation, but it would have been better than what we're going to get now.  The Sox messed up in not agreeing to compensation before letting him go.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Yes, I agree.  It was a strange sequence of events.  I'm not sure we'll ever get a clear picture of what happened, when and why.  We never really do with stuff like this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here's my question.  What if the Sox said 'we won't release Theo till we get the compensation worked out'  and the Cubs say 'OK, but we're prepared to wait for a while'.  What do the Sox do then?  They had a lot of things to do and they needed to put a new GM in place to start the process.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Here's my question.  What if the Sox said 'we won't release Theo till we get the compensation worked out'  and the Cubs say 'OK, but we're prepared to wait for a while'.  What do the Sox do then?  They had a lot of things to do and they needed to put a new GM in place to start the process.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

To be honest, we're lucky to get anything.  It isn't like Larry was putting up a fight to keep him.  Had we declined whatever the Cubs offered, and paid Theo $2M to hang out and do nothing, the same people complaining about not getting Garza and Starlin in return would've been complaining about us wasting $2M.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Esradad. Show Esradad's posts

When Theo left, I was glad to see him go.  I suspect the Sox brass felt the same way.  At the time, the Sox were probably more concerned with reorganizing their own front office than with the compensation from the Cubs.

In any event, I think we all know that the Cub fans are going to be "Pitino'd".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : I agree that there's no way the Cubs were giving up Garza, but IMO, the Sox had all the leverage before they agreed to let Theo leave.  The Cubs wanted him badly, and had already leaked stories to the press about acquiring him. I don't think there was any way they were going to let the deal fall through.  I don't really know what we could have gotten back in way of compensation, but it would have been better than what we're going to get now.  The Sox messed up in not agreeing to compensation before letting him go.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

totally agree.  The problem going forward is that the Cubbies very cleverly gave Theo the position that the Sox and Larry would not give Theo: president of baseball operations.  So, Theo got a promotion, and the precedent is that clubs do not get compensation for executives who leave for better positions.  And Selig does not want to set precedent by getting involved.  But being the dufus he is, he volunteered to do just that.  Ball is in his court.  Expect some useless low level prospect with a low ceiling that the Cubs are willing to give up (and considering the putrid condition of their farm system, any of their prospects they are willing to part with have to be about as useless as they come).

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : The Cubs wouldn't have agreed to it.  They could get an interim GM and wait a year for Theo.  Once Theo made it clear he was out of Boston the Sox were sunk.  You can't have a lame duck GM making decisions for you. Plus there's no precedent for compensation in cases like this.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Piniella and Ozzie Guillen, both left their teams with one year left, and the team gave compensation.  All-star Randy Winn for Piniella, and 2 former top 10 organizational prospects for Guillen.  I'm not saying that I'm expecting that, just that the "no precedent" argument is silly.

Also, the Cubs would have just moved onto someone else.  They weren't going to hire an interim GM for the year.  That's just stupid.  That's the same as having a lame duck GM here making decisions.  If it wouldn't make sense for Boston, why would it be what the Cubs would do?  And what's to say someone else didn't hire Theo? If he was free to go anywhere, there's nothing tying him to Chicago.  The Cubs waste a year with an interim GM, then Theo goes elsewhere.  That would make them look like a joke. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Geo is right. It is the Sox who made the mistake. The situation will be resolved by S.T., but I doubt it will be to RSN satisfaction. It is entirely possible that Chicago will offer Miss Illinois, 2012 - Ashley Hooks as compensation to replace Heidi. It's a good deal.
    Posted by jesseyeric
    Bud is a Sox fan after all is said and done. He let Henry purchase the team even though it was far from the highest bidder. I expect the Sox will to alright in this compensation award.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

Negotiation 101: Don't give the other side what they want until you get what you want.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Piniella and Ozzie Guillen, both left their teams with one year left, and the team gave compensation. All-star Randy Winn for Piniella, and 2 former top 10 organizational prospects for Guillen.   I'm not saying that I'm expecting that, just that the "no precedent" argument is silly. what part of those guys being lateral moves and theo being a promotion don't you guys understand Also, the Cubs would have just moved onto someone else. They weren't going to hire an interim GM for the year. That's just stupid. That's the same as having a lame duck GM here making decisions. If it wouldn't make sense for Boston, why would it be what the Cubs would do? And what's to say someone else didn't hire Theo? If he was free to go anywhere, there's nothing tying him to Chicago. The Cubs waste a year with an interim GM, then Theo goes elsewhere. That would make them look like a joke. U R right about them not hiring an  interim GM for the year they hired jed hoyer for 5 yrs and could of easily waited a yr for theo once theo said he wanted to interview the sox had no leverage why would you want a GM that wasn't ''all in '' and who's to keep theo & jed from  talking on the phone 24/7 BTW I believe the padres are still waiting for their comp The San Diego Padres have pre-agreed a list of Chicago Cubs players to choose from as compensation for Jed Hoyer , who will become the team's general manager. No other employee of the Padres will be taken by the Cubs. 2011-10-21 21:31:39 | Source: North County Times - Dan Hayes Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=748703-cubs-will-send-compensation-for-jed-hoyer#ixzz1kkMBsdT1
    Posted by pinstripezac

GM Zac,
    When Theo went to the Cubs without compensation resolved, it was reported that the sides agreed that comp would be "substantial," or "signficant."  I thought to myself at that point that the Cubs/Sox must have at least agreed upon a mutual list of players that would be considered to complete the process later.  Apparently not.  I don't expect anything big, but the talk of "substantial" and/or "significant" comp certainly loses meaning when the Red Sox have lost all leverage.  I don't think it would have benefited either side to drag it out or play hard ball, but I do think they should have had a similar list of players to be considered to complete the process.  

Sections
Shortcuts