Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjkoko. Show jjkoko's posts

Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????: Forget titles. How much is Theo getting paid by the Cubs. Perhaps in the vicinity of 16 mil. for 4 years? I'm not sure but his salary should set the precedent on the compensation, not his title. Give us a choice of a player that we wouldn't mind paying 16 million.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : totally agree.  The problem going forward is that the Cubbies very cleverly gave Theo the position that the Sox and Larry would not give Theo: president of baseball operations.  So, Theo got a promotion, and the precedent is that clubs do not get compensation for executives who leave for better positions.  And Selig does not want to set precedent by getting involved.  But being the dufus he is, he volunteered to do just that.  Ball is in his court.  Expect some useless low level prospect with a low ceiling that the Cubs are willing to give up (and considering the putrid condition of their farm system, any of their prospects they are willing to part with have to be about as useless as they come).
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation?????? : GM Zac, When Theo went to the Cubs without compensation resolved, it was reported that the sides agreed that comp would be "substantial," or "signficant."  I thought to myself at that point that the Cubs/Sox must have at least agreed upon a mutual list of players that would be considered to complete the process later.  Apparently not.  I don't expect anything big, but the talk of "substantial" and/or "significant" comp certainly loses meaning when the Red Sox have lost all leverage.  I don't think it would have benefited either side to drag it out or play hard ball, but I do think they should have had a similar list of players to be considered to complete the process.   Posted by kt888[/QUOTE] "It was reported" that the compensation would be "substantial" or "significant"....therein lies the problem. Andy MacPhail is the precedent and the Twins received a prospect ranked around 30 in the organization and a little cash...which is very likely what Sox will get....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????:
    [QUOTE]Selig will make his decision next weekend so the news gets lost in Super Bowl hoopla. The compensation will be absolutely minimal to the extent that it will be difficult to find any stats on the new sox low A return.
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

The talent evaluators of the Cubs (not Theo) know exactly who is dispensable and who they see as top talent.   They'll surrender a player that never makes it to Pawtucket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Here's our compensation. I'd be happy to stop by and pick it up for Ben, I'm in the area anyway.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

That looks more like a "NY Dog."  At least Ben should get a "Chicago Dog."  You can pick one up from any Sonic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone care when/if Selig decides on compensation??????:
    [QUOTE]it is our fault -we had Theo under contract, we let him go before getting compensation...it would have taken just a week of hardball before the Cubs wouldve said uncle....I have no idea why we didnt tell them up front that no garza, no Theo....
    Posted by georom4[/QUO

who is we??  Are you one of the owners??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I don't think the Red Sox should get any compensation. 

Compensation for what?  A guy who worked for you left and went to work for another company.  Get over it.

The Sox had every opportunity to sign Theo to an extended contract and they didn't want to.  they didn't want Theo as GM anymore.

So, again - compensation for what?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

[QUOTE]Negotiation 101: Don't give the other side what they want until you get what you want.
    Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE

Exactly!  Can you imagine someone holding a person hostage, then giving the hostage over to police, then giving their demands??   The Sox screwed this one up bad

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think the Red Sox should get any compensation.  Compensation for what?  A guy who worked for you left and went to work for another company.  Get over it. The Sox had every opportunity to sign Theo to an extended contract and they didn't want to.  they didn't want Theo as GM anymore. So, again - compensation for what?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

For letting Theo walk out on his contract w/ one year remaining.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

An AL GM who is not associated with the Red Sox or Cubs believes that Commissioner Bud Selig will give Boston a significant player in the compensation agreement:  "I don’t think MLB wants executives leaving their teams before their contracts are up and therefore he will try to deter teams from doing that again."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/cafardo-on-dodgers-ethier-red-sox-cubs-orioles.html

Sections
Shortcuts