Does anyone seriously believe........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Does anyone seriously believe........

..... That Cherington is working to improve the team and get some kind of significant deal done before the TD? Or do you think he is content to wait until the waiver period to make a deal. Is he stalling any decision to see if we have are legitimate contenders for a PS berth, and then determine buying or selling. Or, do you believe as I do that this guy is way out of his league?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Does anyone seriously believe........

Dodger fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Does anyone seriously believe........:
    [QUOTE]..... That Cherington is working to improve the team and get some kind of significant deal done before the TD? Or do you think he is content to wait until the waiver period to make a deal. Is he stalling any decision to see if we have are legitimate contenders for a PS berth, and then determine buying or selling. Or, do you believe as I do that this guy is way out of his league?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
    I suspect Ben Cherington will turn down trade offers that won't help the team in the long term. The front office probably views the team as unlikely contenders this year.

I hope Cherington does not make trade just say he made a trade.

Would you be satisfied if Cherington bolstered the starting rotation and cut payroll costs by trading a year and two months of Jacoby Ellsbury for a year and two months of Seattle lefthander Jason Vargas?

I did not think so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Regardless, every win makes his decision tougher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox won't add any significant players by the deadline, but may make a trade if they can find any takers.  Sox are determined to get under the tax threshhold regardless of what happens to the team.  I would like to think they are gearing up for next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

In Response to Does anyone seriously believe........:
    [QUOTE]..... That Cherington is working to improve the team and get some kind of significant deal done before the TD? Or do you think he is content to wait until the waiver period to make a deal. Is he stalling any decision to see if we have are legitimate contenders for a PS berth, and then determine buying or selling. Or, do you believe as I do that this guy is way out of his league?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Who is that in your avatar?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox have "mild interest" in Seattle lefthander Jason Vargas, according to this tweet from Boston Globe columnist Nick Cafardo:

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/229368068277682177

Vargas, who remains under team control through 2013, is probably more valuable to the Mariners than the southpaw is to other teams as Seattle awaits the 2013-14 arrivals of their elite pitching prospects.

The lefthander may be mediocre, but a pitcher with a 3.95 ERA in 85 starts* over 539.2 innings since the beginning of the 2010 season has value (even with an AL East-induced jump from his current ERA** of 3.76).

* more starts than any Red Sox pitcher has made over the same period

** Vargas' 2012 ERA includes a 4.1 IP, 10 ER outing against Arizona. In his other 21 starts this year, Vargas has an ERA of 3.24

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That Cherington is working to improve the team and get some kind of significant deal done before the TD?

1-I'm sure he is always working to improve the team.

2-You are implying that a significant deal is the only way to improve the team.  There is no way to quantify what will improve the team.  We could decide that the best way to improve the team will be to trade off Aviles and bring up Iglesias.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I seriously think every MLB is trying to improve their club by fielding trade offers and making inquiries.

As for Felix and his splits:

Not much difference home and away, so forget the big park theory:
    Home: 3.13  1.185
    Away:  3.27  1.250

AL East:
    Boston: 3.18
    NYY:      3.38
    TBR:       2.28
    Balt        3.65
    Tor:        4.37

AL East Parks:
    Fenway  2.53
    Yankee   1.47
    Trop        4.18
    Toronto  2.66
    Camden 3.09

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone seriously believe........:
    [QUOTE]If the Red Sox trade for J. Upton, or Felix (I don't support that but that's the only pitcher to trade for), that would get the entire baseball world's attention. With Upton, the Red Sox lineup is leveraged to the point that it has the 2009 Yankee type of depth to it. With Felix, he will get a rude awakening to AL East all the time baseball, but he at least would make the Red Sox likely playoff qualifiers. Right now, Cherry appears to be vacillating and spining his wheels. Instead of thinking ahead and getting busy with those plans, he's acting like, by doing nothing, he's calm and not reacting to what has been the most embarrassing Red Sox baseball in history because of the payroll costs. It's like buyying a bunch of brand new Rolls that always overheat and breaks down.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

But what he appears to be doing and what he is doing are very likely completely different things.

He certainly isn't getting much press for his sonceversations with other GMs, but we all have certainly seen deals go done with no previous mention before.

I just hope he doesn't make a stupid move for the same of making one...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

sonceversations

I thought that was worth repeating.  You don't hear that word enough, and rarely in the right context.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]"If I'm who I think I am...then my son's an idiot." -------------------------------------------- Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Fool  
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]Good to see you back on form.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's a bridge year - expect no trades.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]sonceversations I thought that was worth repeating.  You don't hear that word enough, and rarely in the right context.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

You mean between Bill and his dad?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If Felix had to pitch in the AL East and Fenway all year, his splits would be markedly worse.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    In American League West, Felix Hernandez faces the Rangers, Angels and Athletics, who have been laying a whuppin' on AL East teams this season to the tune of a 48-31 combined record (.608). Hernandez's career numbers suggests that the righthander does at least at well against AL East team as he does against other opponents.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hernafe02&year=Career&t=p

Hernandez has a 6-1 record and an 2.53 ERA in six career starts at Fenway Park against Red Sox teams that were often among baseball's leaders in scoring.

With the westward shift in power, Hernandez might perform better in the fading AL East. The flip side is that any hitter the Red Sox could send Seattle would face the harsh realities of hitting in the AL West with half of his games at Safeco Field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In an interview with the Dodger's GM he said that the trade for Hanley was in the works for over a month. That over that time it was phone calls back and forth and some times nothing for a few days. Also said there were many calls with many other teams about trades.
    Getting HR for what they gave up was their best trade they could make.

Every team is always making phone calls to many teams about trades it is not just the month of July.

Sections
Shortcuts