Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I know he's only 21 and in AAA, but a low average and only 5 extra base hits (0 HRs) in almost 250 AB's. Only slightly improved plate discipline (12BB/36K in 2011 compared to 8BB/49K is AA last year), but still below average. His defense is the reason he is so heralded yet he leads PawSox with 9 errors. He is overhyped and not ready for AAA ball let alone the majors. I wish people would stop penciling him in for the starting shortstop gig in 2012, not going to happen.

The Sox like to allow the better prospects play against older competition and allow them to struggle/adjust (ala Kelly last year, Anderson in years past), but his stats show he is overmatched right now.

At this point, I don't envision him being better than .250/.310/.400  in his career. And unless the defense improves then that is not good enough...

What do you all see as his offensive ceiling/likelihood he will reach it? Has anybody seen his defense in person? Fielding errors/throwing errors? Footwork issues?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?

In Response to Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?:
    [QUOTE]I know he's only 21 and in AAA, but a low average and only 5 extra base hits (0 HRs) in almost 250 AB's. Only slightly improved plate discipline (12BB/36K in 2011 compared to 8BB/49K is AA last year), but still below average. His defense is the reason he is so heralded yet he leads PawSox with 9 errors. He is overhyped and not ready for AAA ball let alone the majors. I wish people would stop penciling him in for the starting shortstop gig in 2012, not going to happen. The Sox like to allow the better prospects play against older competition and allow them to struggle/adjust (ala Kelly last year, Anderson in years past), but his stats show he is overmatched right now. At this point, I don't envision him being better than .250/.310/.400  in his career. And unless the defense improves then that is not good enough... What do you all see as his offensive ceiling/likelihood he will reach it? Has anybody seen his defense in person? Fielding errors/throwing errors? Footwork issues?
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

I can't nail down his 'ceiling' at this point.  i am sure he can shore up his defensive skills.  You can teach fundamentals, but you can't teach range/hands/instincts.  he's got those in spades.  As far as his offense, sure, it doesn't look good.  But, he is also in the process of jumping a level.  Also, batting skills take time and often, when a prospect is working on mechanics, his production suffers.  Hard to evaluate where he is at.  BUT, even if he only turns out to be a .250 punch and judy hitter as you project, he will be totally what the doctor ordered.  I do not doubt that he will work out his defensive issues.  His skill set is just too good.  I'll take Marc Belanger any day of the week compared to any of the SSs not named Gonzo the Sox have been trotting out there in recent years.

As for 2012, yeah, he may not be ready with the bat by then, at least to begin the year.  We must face that likelihood.  He is young and raw, and probably not ready next year.  BUT, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be excited about the kid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe------------------. Show The-Babe------------------'s posts

No

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A little early.  He's 21 and in his first year of AAA ball.  The Sox are betting he can learn how to hit.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's 21 in AAA ball. He hit at an average level for a SS before this year, even age advanced. Compare him to some other elite SS prospects (Hechevaria, Machado) and he is not doing that bad. He's probably not the answer in 2012 but I think be becomes an average hitter for the SS position at some point. He has only got less than 500 minor league AB at this point I would think and he is in AAA ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyler Scionti. Show tyler Scionti's posts

Way too early to tell, but you're right he won't be ready for next year, might not be ready for a few years. Hitting is one of those things where when you're young, if you put the work into it you will get better. The more he works and the more people he talks to, and the more confidence he gets, the better hitter he'll be. He's no Ted Williams, but he can be what a shortstop used to be, fast, excellent fielder, little power, .260 hitter. In the post-steroid era that's what you get.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

With the glove skills already known....IF we could count on .250/ .310/.400 he'd be up NOW to stay !

Younts, Trammels, Templetons, Ripkens and A-rods don't come around very often.
    A .700 + OPS from a Vizquel-like shortstop glove would be fantastic.

Remember, the kid's only 21, give him time. Now if only Lowrie came back, Navarro could hit, or Scutaro's arm would heal in the meantime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

No.

But he can learn to hit, its a question of whether or not he is willing to put in the effort, and accept the fact that an all-glove player isn't going to cut it in the majors, and particularly not here!

I dont have confidence. He'll play in the majors, but I dont think he'll be a star, beyond putting up some web gems.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

probably the only one who thinks iglesias can hit is iglesias.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/07/18/jose-iglesias-looking-to-rebound-in-second-half/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Iglesias can't hit right now at AAA, but after last season many scouts raised their projections of what they thought he could do at the MLB level.  Most players his age are in high single A with some being in AA....and for what it's worth he is batting .313 in his last 10 games.  I know thats not much but it's the best he's put together, those numbers include a 5-12 since coming back from the D.L.

From my experience as a professional athlete. I've found that sometimes when you take some time off when your learning a lot and developing, when you come back it's all just there and a lot of things start clicking. 

I'm not saying that this kid is going to turn into a .300 hitter from here on out, but we HAVE to remember how young and raw he is and realize that the talent is there. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

No one knows. But in Boston, with Theo in charge, a guy who hits .250 and has a relatively low OBP will probably not be the starting SS, glove or no glove.  Theo's attitude is certainly debatable. But he's the boss.
    There remains the possibility that Iglesias  will never hit above, say, .230 in the majors. That could ultimately win him a job but not in Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

it is early in his careeer but to be honest If i had to choose between keeping Lavernway,Middlebrooks or iglesias i would pray that Lowrie could stay healthy or hope Navarro is the shortstop of the future

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

The kid is 21. Who knows what he'll do in 3 or 4 YEARS of development. Too early to write him off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

What ever happened to Garcia2?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This was argued about 3 months ago and I was hammered for even questioning Igglesias. I do not agree that the Sox will "live" with Iglesias putting up OPS under .650. The guy was "rushed" to AAA in my opinion, and should have started out in AA and had some success. Sox like prospects to face adversity and over come, but to me Iglesias is not over coming, it seems what you see is what you get.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?:
    [QUOTE]I know he's only 21 and in AAA, but a low average and only 5 extra base hits (0 HRs) in almost 250 AB's. Only slightly improved plate discipline (12BB/36K in 2011 compared to 8BB/49K is AA last year), but still below average. His defense is the reason he is so heralded yet he leads PawSox with 9 errors. He is overhyped and not ready for AAA ball let alone the majors. I wish people would stop penciling him in for the starting shortstop gig in 2012, not going to happen. The Sox like to allow the better prospects play against older competition and allow them to struggle/adjust (ala Kelly last year, Anderson in years past), but his stats show he is overmatched right now. At this point, I don't envision him being better than .250/.310/.400  in his career. And unless the defense improves then that is not good enough... What do you all see as his offensive ceiling/likelihood he will reach it? Has anybody seen his defense in person? Fielding errors/throwing errors? Footwork issues?
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

Iglesias is a tough call but he is a great athlete, has some speed and could be a great defensive SS.  It takes kids time to develop, even more so when there is pressure coming from all directions to live up to hype.  It took guys like Jacoby and Jed time to adjust offensively so all we can do is hope for the best.

Being 21, he should be given more time before passing judgement.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

a better question might be

will boston wait that long

it took ozzie smith 29 + yrs to learn , but  he did

but I'm not seeing the sox 

with the same GM who passed on alex gonz  waiting that long

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

They may have passed on AGonz the first time but they were caught off guard the second time when AGonz jumped very quickly on another offer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you can show patience when you see progress. Iggy in approx 600 PA's is not showing any progress. He still has poor pitch recognition and lacks patience. This is after 3 years playing in the organization.
    Iggy's lack of any power is not due to his size, strength or swing. He is always off balance when swinging as he is not reading the ball correctly coming out of the pitchers hand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I think he certainly has promise, but he is not the savior at SS anytime soon. Theo shouldn't be banking on this kid to help sooner rather than later. Even his AA stats are less than impressive (0.285 is misleading). Not saying I'm not rooting for him to develop, but put me on the skeptic side of his development for now. The Sox should be pursuing other options at SS for both the rest of this season and next year going forward. I still think Iglesias is 2-4 years away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

No, not at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Funny his hitting stats have not changed that much as he has moved up the ladder each year, maybe they are trying to advance him to quickly. But im betting his glove is worth half a run per game on a yearly average, BTW the current Sox SS have produced 100 runs so far this year, Iggy has produced 60+ in the minors, so lets give him those runs saved and where does project?
    Mark Belanger hit .228 over 18 major league seasons, im betting the Orioles great staffs of the 70's would not have given him up for a guy that hit .300 and 15 dingers a year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I think he can hit. He hit .321 in Spring training 3-4 months ago. I'll take that as his ticket to get a shot with the big club. We don't need him to hit a lot what we need is his glove. I've been beating this horse all season long. There is no talk of SS or middle infielder at this point in time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sections
Shortcuts