Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?

1-1 tonight, the hot bat continues for Iglesias.....ok the maybe more like the warm bat, but still. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

watch Boegarts at ss 3-4 years out. Not fair to compare but his size and athleicsm is Hanley-esque

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm not even close to being convinced.  He's still young so I'll give him some time.  So far though I've seen nothing that shows his bat is ready for MLB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

The Sox gave this kid 8MM as a signing bonus. They must have seen  something.This kids game is all about run prevention not run production. He makes more plays than Scutaro. The pitchers would love to have him in the 6 hole. As they see the glove work they gain more confidence. He's not going to hit in a production spot in the lineup. He's going to hit where Scutaro hits, 8-9. If the Sox gave this kid 8MM they valued the glove not the bat. They're not going to give up on this kid because they've got too much invested in him. He'll be around for awhile so give him his second taste now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

rkarp,........We have to stay in the present. You want us to look at a 3yrs. past sample for Inglesias then you want us to look at players in the system that may be 3-4 years away. Yesterdays history and tomorrows a mystery.By staying in a  near present time frame we eliminate the past and stay within the 2011 season as a reference point. Thats really the time frame we should be paying attention to. What is he doing now, in the near present? ctsoxfanhugh says he got a hit tonight. O.K., lets build on that. Lets reward that with a move up to the big club. It's not a one way ticket. It's round trip coach. You reward and step back. Let him play. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?:
    [QUOTE]I know he's only 21 and in AAA, but a low average and only 5 extra base hits (0 HRs) in almost 250 AB's. Only slightly improved plate discipline (12BB/36K in 2011 compared to 8BB/49K is AA last year), but still below average. His defense is the reason he is so heralded yet he leads PawSox with 9 errors. He is overhyped and not ready for AAA ball let alone the majors. I wish people would stop penciling him in for the starting shortstop gig in 2012, not going to happen. The Sox like to allow the better prospects play against older competition and allow them to struggle/adjust (ala Kelly last year, Anderson in years past), but his stats show he is overmatched right now. At this point, I don't envision him being better than .250/.310/.400  in his career. And unless the defense improves then that is not good enough... What do you all see as his offensive ceiling/likelihood he will reach it? Has anybody seen his defense in person? Fielding errors/throwing errors? Footwork issues?
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]The errors are not a big deal. A SS even great ones will make 15 or more errors in a season.

Ozzie Smith perhaps the gold standard of defensive SS in the expansion era committed 69 errors in his first 3 MLB seasons. He committed 16 errors or more nine times in his career.

Great range will get a SS more errors because scorers will assume if they could get to it they should be able to complete the play.

What his offensive ceiling is is equally hard to say at 21. Using Smith again he was entirely different hitter by the time he was 28.

I do agree that 2012 won't be happening but whether or not he is going to be a good one in MLB is yet to be seen but when every evaluator says the D is already MLB ready, I tend to think there is some cred to that part of the hype.

Just my take

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look at the context.

Right now, we have Scutaro and Navarro as our SSs. What are they hitting?

BA
    Scutaro .262 (56/214)
    Navarro .179 (5/28)

Total:   .252 (61/242)

If Iglesias hits .200 or .220 in MLB, the differential will only be about
    .030 to .050.

To me, Iglesias' defense will way more than make up for about a 40 point drop in BA.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean you agree with the guy (me) who "the opposite is always true"?

Squirm out of this one, silly clown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'm not understanding the love for Iglesias. I keep hearing about his outstanding glove. On what basis are people drawing this conclusion? Has anyone even watched him on a consistent basis? He barely played at the major league level this year. Are people going by scouting reports? Are they just enamored by his youth?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

If this guy is the Vacuum Cleaner , they say he is, what does it matter how much he hits. As long as it's above .200 . I bet he won't miss a squeeze sign.

Course the pressure to hit, could put pressure on his fielding, it would not be the first time, and that would not be good. It's like a wide receiver hearing footsteps, can be career ending. They have to be careful with this kid. They bring him up as a defensive shortstop, and if he hits, it's a bonus. Those have to be the ground rules.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

billbyboy, what you say is not without merit, but you know that the chances of its happening are slim to none.  Iglesias will probably get a call in September but not be inserted late in close games, even to bunt, because Terry will want to keep Scutaro/Lowrie in the lineup for more turns at bat.  In blowouts, either way, Iglesias would simply be "on display" and have no effect on the outcome. OTOH, maybe on the road, with Boston leading, say, 2 to 1 in the bottom of the ninth, Terry might, just might, trot Iglesias out there. And the move might turn out to have been a good one. 
    Navarro too is a better defender at SS than either Scutaro or Lowrie, but he won't be seen in the position when both of them are available. He'll be seen in Pawtucket.  
    That single position has nearly driven Sox fans crazy over the last several years, and no obvious solution is in sight. Unless in ST Terry marches Iglesias out between second and third, and says, "Here, this is yours."  Talk about slim to none -- not on Theo's watch.  
    Sigh. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

davidap, ........I watched him for most of 2011 Spring Training. He's impressive with the glove. Thats what I go by, near present performance. A kid playing with the stars. Thats a driver for him. Dropping down is the downer part of it. Bring him up, see him play. Maybe that 8MM can play early dividends. I think his energy will keep him up at least for awhile. Big Popi will take care of this kid, treat him like D'angelo's older brother, that will help. If he's able to make some plays early the fans will help fuel the energy with applause.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

eggplant,

the present performance indicates he is perhaps an additional 500 pa's from a decision by the Sox. Given Iggy's past, that is the 2013 season that a decision w/b made on his future with the Sox.
    It is my opinion that the Sox should not be making decisions that Iggy is a sure thing, nor is he "untouchable" in a deal.
    Whether those decisions involve a Reyes type move, a Lowrie/Scutaro for one more year scenario, or a Agon (SS) type of pick up.
    It is also my opinion that when making those decisions, there is a player like Boegarts that could be banging on the door in 3 years.
    I am also of the opinion that the Sox will not stand for an automatic out from the 9 hole regardless of the defense

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Dont know if i have ever seen anyone so overmatched when he was up earlier in the year, but as everyone has said, he is young and maybe with time. It looked like he was swinging a 50 lb. bat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Does Anyone Think Iglesias Can Hit?:
    [QUOTE]Look at the context. Right now, we have Scutaro and Navarro as our SSs. What are they hitting? BA Scutaro .262 (56/214) Navarro .179 (5/28) Total:   .252 (61/242) If Iglesias hits .200 or .220 in MLB, the differential will only be about .030 to .050. To me, Iglesias' defense will way more than make up for about a 40 point drop in BA.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]  MOONSLAW IS RIGHT ON......  IGLE IS WORTH MORE TO THE PITCHING STAFF THAN HE IS AS A # 9 HITTER.....BESIDES, IT WOULD BE FUN TO SEE THE "BUNT & RUN" MAKE A COMEBACK !!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

rkarp,.....We need help at this SS position now. He has what we need now,today. We can't be looking at Boegarts in 2013 now. Forget the projected 500 Plate Appearances you think he needs in order for management to make a decision on his future moving forward. Nobody is saying the kid is untouchable,can't miss,a sure thing. We're saying that this kid has what we need today, 7/27/11. The RS will stand for a few 0-4's if this kid can deliver the goods in the 6 hole. Think of what happened in order for Josh Reddick to get his chance. (2) RF's had to blow up and the next guy on the depth chart,Kalish is injured and can't move up. What happened is history. Reddick got a chance and is looking good. Same situation at SS only not quite as desperate . We'll fill with guys like Navarro , Sutton, guys that are not SS's but can fill in. This kid is a SS. he doesn't play anyplace else regularly. He was signed as a SS. He got big money for his glove not his bat. We need his glove now. Get him up here and let him play his way down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not understanding the love for Iglesias. I keep hearing about his outstanding glove. On what basis are people drawing this conclusion? Has anyone even watched him on a consistent basis? He barely played at the major league level this year. Are people going by scouting reports? Are they just enamored by his youth?

You make a great point here, david. Much of this is speculation based on scouting reports, anecdotal evidence, and small sample sizes of actual personal observations; however, fielding is much more of a transferable aspect of a prospects game to the majors than hitting. There have been countless very good to great minor league hitters that never make the grade in the bigs. Great fielders tend to remain great fielders throughout their whole career from A to MLB.

My only isuue is this: I am not 100% sure of Iglesias is one of the very best fielding SSs in professional baseball, but I am sure that Theo knows. If theo does know that he is a great feilder, then I feel he should make him the starting ML SS right now. Don't wait until next year. Make Scutaro the utility IF'er, and save many hits from here out. Protect our pitching staff. Our 9th batter might get 200 more PAs, and even if Iglesias hits just .200, and we assume Scutaro/Navarro would have hit .260, the differential is about 12 hits lost. That's assuming we never PH for Iglesias or start another SS at times. The real numbers would probably be like a 10 hit loss. 

To me, even an average SS would save 10 hits over the rest of the season over Scutaro's current fielding skillset. If Iglesias is just a little above average, it would be a plus. If he is much better, as I suspect he is, the differential would be significant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-----------. Show -TheBabe-----------'s posts

[QUOTE]I'm not understanding the love for Iglesias. I keep hearing about his outstanding glove. On what basis are people drawing this conclusion? Has anyone even watched him on a consistent basis? He barely played at the major league level this year. Are people going by scouting reports? Are they just enamored by his youth? You make a great point here, david. Much of this is speculation based on scouting reports, anecdotal evidence, and small sample sizes of actual personal observations; however, fielding is much more of a transferable aspect of a prospects game to the majors than hitting. There have been countless very good to great minor league hitters that never make the grade in the bigs. Great fielders tend to remain great fielders throughout their whole career from A to MLB. My only isuue is this: I am not 100% sure of Iglesias is one of the very best fielding SSs in professional baseball, but I am sure that Theo knows. If theo does know that he is a great feilder, then I feel he should make him the starting ML SS right now. Don't wait until next year. Make Scutaro the utility IF'er, and save many hits from here out. Protect our pitching staff. Our 9th batter might get 200 more PAs, and even if Iglesias hits just .200, and we assume Scutaro/Navarro would have hit .260, the differential is about 12 hits lost. That's assuming we never PH for Iglesias or start another SS at times. The real numbers would probably be like a 10 hit loss.  To me, even an average SS would save 10 hits over the rest of the season over Scutaro's current fielding skillset. If Iglesias is just a little above average, it would be a plus. If he is much better, as I suspect he is, the differential would be significant.

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

One problem I have with the "He saves X amount of hits....." is that we don't know when those hits occur or if they would have any impact. Saving a hit in a 10-0 blowout with 2 outs and nobody on base is pretty meaningless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not understanding the love for Iglesias. I keep hearing about his outstanding glove. On what basis are people drawing this conclusion? Has anyone even watched him on a consistent basis? He barely played at the major league level this year. Are people going by scouting reports? Are they just enamored by his youth? You make a great point here, david. Much of this is speculation based on scouting reports, anecdotal evidence, and small sample sizes of actual personal observations; however, fielding is much more of a transferable aspect of a prospects game to the majors than hitting. There have been countless very good to great minor league hitters that never make the grade in the bigs. Great fielders tend to remain great fielders throughout their whole career from A to MLB. My only isuue is this: I am not 100% sure of Iglesias is one of the very best fielding SSs in professional baseball, but I am sure that Theo knows. If theo does know that he is a great feilder, then I feel he should make him the starting ML SS right now. Don't wait until next year. Make Scutaro the utility IF'er, and save many hits from here out. Protect our pitching staff. Our 9th batter might get 200 more PAs, and even if Iglesias hits just .200, and we assume Scutaro/Navarro would have hit .260, the differential is about 12 hits lost. That's assuming we never PH for Iglesias or start another SS at times. The real numbers would probably be like a 10 hit loss.  To me, even an average SS would save 10 hits over the rest of the season over Scutaro's current fielding skillset. If Iglesias is just a little above average, it would be a plus. If he is much better, as I suspect he is, the differential would be significant.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I made a statement similar in the OP. I assumed most people heard about his fielding skill and took it to be true. I asked if anyone here has actually seen him play in person, but no one has commented on that. He has tools and potential, but that doesn't make him a player. One poster actually suggested it was okay for a SS to have 15-16+ errors in a season. Last I checked, when we had SS's who committed that many errors they were traded/released ie Lugo/Renteria. Right NOW, key word now, he is not hitting and is still refining his defensive abilities. He is a prospect, but not even close to being our best one. All I ask is to stop the hype. Too much for what I've seen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

rkarp,.....We need help at this SS position now. He has what we need now,today. We can't be looking at Boegarts in 2013 now. Forget the projected 500 Plate Appearances you think he needs in order for management to make a decision on his future moving forward. Nobody is saying the kid is untouchable,can't miss,a sure thing. We're saying that this kid has what we need today, 7/27/11. The RS will stand for a few 0-4's if this kid can deliver the goods in the 6 hole. Think of what happened in order for Josh Reddick to get his chance. (2) RF's had to blow up and the next guy on the depth chart,Kalish is injured and can't move up. What happened is history. Reddick got a chance and is looking good. Same situation at SS only not quite as desperate . We'll fill with guys like Navarro , Sutton, guys that are not SS's but can fill in. This kid is a SS. he doesn't play anyplace else regularly. He was signed as a SS. He got big money for his glove not his bat. We need his glove now. Get him up here and let him play his way down.

The SOx need his help NOW based on having the best record in the American league? Or based on having the best record in baseball since the 2-10 start?
    The point is Iggy was rushed to AAA and it is showing. Bringing him to the major leagues now could set him back even further.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

I have seen him play in person about four times. He plays great defense. He looks spectacular a lot of the time on defense. He looks overmatched at the plate but I think that is something that will change given more experience and if he bulks up a bit. He could use some more upper body strength I think. He makes some beautiful plays out there though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One problem I have with the "He saves X amount of hits....." is that we don't know when those hits occur or if they would have any impact. Saving a hit in a 10-0 blowout with 2 outs and nobody on base is pretty meaningless.

Babe, the exact same can be said of the 10-12 extra hits Scutaro might get over Iglesias from now to the end of the year.

The point is, if Iglesias saves 24 hits before the end of the year, but gets 12 less on offense, I'll take the odds that he will help more than Scutty.