Does Buchholz have any options available?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Does Buchholz have any options available?

Obviously he's part of the long term plan but perhaps he needs some time to mature mentally and physically. I seem to remember reading that "Doc" Halliday needed to restart the engines and work his way back to prominence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Does Buchholz have any options available?

This is ridiculous.

He already proved in 2010 and last year that he's capable a top pitcher. Last year, he got hurt but was pitching very well when he did. Injuries do happen to pitchers.

I guess the Yankees should send C.C. back to the minors because he got lit up in his first start.

You people with the "Buch can't hack it mentally" need to get new material.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Actually Roy, CC and Beckett are going on the DL.Wink

Buchholtz hasn't pitched since the first half of last season. How about we give the kid a chance to work his way back??

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Ridiculous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Does Buchholz have any options available?:
    [QUOTE]Obviously he's part of the long term plan but perhaps he needs some time to mature mentally and physically. I seem to remember reading that "Doc" Halliday needed to restart the engines and work his way back to prominence.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    Clay Buchholz turns 28 years old this August.

When Roy Halladay was Buchholz's age, the righthander had won a Cy Young Award and was coming off two seasons with a combined 41-14 record with a 3.10 ERA over 70 starts covering 505.1 innings.

Those numbers are quite unBuchholz-like.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is a very real possibility that Buchholz is not as good a pitcher as many think he is.  Just watching him pitch, I am not impressed. He can look great for an inning , then fall apart quickly. No consistency. Maybe some time in the bullpen would help. Give Padilla a chance to start.  Clay really has only had one good year.  He has not really earned the high regard that some have of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Re: Does Buchholz have any options available?:
    [QUOTE]There is a very real possibility that Buchholz is not as good a pitcher as many think he is.  Just watching him pitch, I am not impressed. He can look great for an inning , then fall apart quickly. No consistency. Maybe some time in the bullpen would help. Give Padilla a chance to start.  Clay really has only had one good year.  He has not really earned the high regard that some have of him.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    This sounds like a good idea to me. I am not impressed with Buchholz at all. I was not last year and this year I am tired of the excuses made for this guy. Man up or get out of the starting pitcher status. I would be trying all possibilities if I were Valentine to find what works. Play the guys who can get the job done!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

He is starting to remind me of Mike Pelfrey of the Mets. Lights out until he gets in trouble, then the dam breaks. Just watch how nervous he gets when runners are on. He is worth giving the continued chance, and after all who do we replace him with? No, question the Red Sox pitching situation is very, very bad right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Info about "Doc" Halladay's demotion in 2000 starting in A Ball again. 

I like Buch--he hasn't pitched much in almost a year because of an injury. Sometimes you need to get your confidence back. I'm not looking to penalize him for a poor outing--I would like to see him live up to expectations. If it's good enough for Halladay and if Buck has options it could/ would be a consideration.

Re: More info about Halladay's Demotion:

Just when things seemed to be coming together for Roy, they began to fall apart. The 2000 season was so disheartening that he actually contemplated retirement. After 19 games and 13 starts, he had a 4-7 record with a 10.64 ERA. With opponents hitting a robust .350 off him, he was handed a ticket back to Syracuse. The problems started when the Blue Jays convinced Roy to abandon the knuckle-curve he had developed. He stuck with the plan at Triple-A and continued to get hammered. Eventually, he was demoted all the way to Single-A Dunedin, where he opened the 2001 season.

Devastated by the turn his career had taken, Roy felt he had no choice but to trust Toronto’s brass. The team was concerned that he wasn't using his natural energy and intensity to his advantage. Instead, Roy would get so keyed up during games that he tended to overthrow. He also had to make mechanical changes. Roy consulted with a sports psychologist to start the arduous journey back to the big leagues—a journey that began with the long bus rides and cheap motel rooms of Class A ball.

Roy had plenty of time to ponder his predicament. In time, he came to see that pitching wasn’t about blowing the ball past hitters. Much of the game took place between the ears, and that is where he did most of his work that spring.

Satisfied that he was headed in the right direction, the team promoted Roy to Knoxville. There it all began to come together. Roy mastered the split-finger fastball that would complement his two-seamer and four-seamer. After five starts and three complete games, he found himself back in Toronto.

Roy was delighted to discover that he could get major league hitters out again, and that he had the full confidence of Toronto’s manager, Buck Martinez. He started 16 games and went 5-3. In his first game back, Roy struck out 10 Montreal Expos in six innings. He won his first three decisions of August, and then pitched a complete game two-hit shutout against the Cleveland Indians on the final day of the season. Roy was back and the Blue Jays had big plans for what they considered the future ace of the staff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Buchholz is #2 in the AL over the past two years in ERA.

#2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously he's part of the long term plan but perhaps he needs some time to mature mentally and physically. I seem to remember reading that "Doc" Halliday needed to restart the engines and work his way back to prominence.

Its one game and Clay hasn't pitched to a real lineup forever.  Time at AAA isn't going to help him get back any quicker.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

His best option would be to pitch better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Buchholz might be worth keeping as a middle reliever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Mad - Is that a joke?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Does Buchholz have any options available?:
    [QUOTE]Buchholz is #2 in the AL over the past two years in ERA. #2.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Counting Sunday's start, Clay Buchholz has dropped to fourth in ERA among American League pitchers with at least 250 innings since the start of the 2010 season. However, most of the other leaders have pitched nearly twice as many innings while Jeremy Hellickson and Alexi Oganda, who have pitched fewer than 250 innings, are right behind Buchholz in ERA.

Sections
Shortcuts