Does free agency and frequent trades hurt team loyalty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Does free agency and frequent trades hurt team loyalty?

As an older fan, I remember stars playing for long years with a home team, it helped bond kids and adults to following that hometown star.  Let's skip the free agency argument, I ask a few questions to all who care to share their thoughts, what do you think/believe?:

1. , Does all the player movement, make it more difficult for a fan to identify with a team?

2.  For those who remember guys with a team for a while, do you think the local community involvement of star players, the frequency in the papers of such activity made you more inclined to root for the home team?

3.  With the frequent shifting of player allegiance to seek a better deal, (their right by the way), dim the future luster in creating fan support for home teams and thus the game itself?

I look forward to your thoughtful comments, I am concerned about the future of the game based upon my questions above and would appreciate other fans insightful opinions/observations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Does free agency and frequent trades hurt team loyalty?

Lefty - great question, I often think about/discuss this.  May answer in 3 parts?

1)  Yes, to me it's obviously more fulfilling and fun for fans of sports teams to have long-term relationships with players they drafted/signed/developed.  But that wasn't great for non-star players that were virtual slaves under the Reserve Clause.

2)  Maybe to some, not to me....The Ted was from San Diego, The Babe from Baltimore, The Mick from Oklahoma....Johnny Damon was an army brat born in Kansas, lived all over the world as a kid, HS in Florida, drafted by KC, played in several MiLB cities, then for KC, then Oakland, then Boston for lots of money, then before he left made fan-friendly statements about not playing for NY, then signed for NY for more money, then loads of other teams.  I don't blame the guy at all....I think he's given his all for every team he's played for, and is pretty much a normal modern player. But lots of fans project their values on their team's players.  Q:  (I don';t know the answer) Where did The Ted live in the off-season?

3)  I think this is the killer question.  No, I don't think it will because values have changed.  Rightly or wrongly (and I think wrongly) if the Lakers, Celtics or Heat spend big to win a title most fans just want the t-shirt and the bragging rights.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I am not concerned about the game at all. 

The game of baseball has actually improved.

For example, back in the day, only the first place teams in the AL East and West (NL East and West) met in the playoffs.  We now have five teams in each league make the playoffs which creates more fan involvement and excitement for other clubs such as the O's or even the Blue Jays.

Also, I never have a problem with a player leaving the Red Sox for more money.  After all, the player is seeking what is best for him and his family.  After all, who doesn't want financial stability?

As for the Red Sox, I will continue to support and love the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think a lot of teams want to keep core players around for a number of years so they have somewhat of an identity, even most low budget team are beginning to do this. The Rays just did this with Longoria and Shields has been there for a while too.

You cant retain everyone, I understand that. But if you can retain a few, that gives you the identity and stability every team needs for prolonged success.

Sox have Pedey, papi, WMB Lester and Buch. Thats a decent core. Papi will be leaving in a couple years and another one or 2 of our young guns will step in and hopefully be successful and locked up for a long time.

I think in todays baseball, which I do like, is all someone can ask for.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Sure, but what is your solution? 

The free agency train has left the station and the players union in the most powerful in all of sports. it's the most powerful union in the world for that matter, in terms of negotiating power. 

Baseball's bigger problem is that the proliferation of cable and Internet options and the acceleration of modern life has changed the "day at the ballpark" scenario, probably forever. NFL has taken over both from a ratings and TV standpoint but also from a lifestyle point of view - one big game a week for most fans is plenty these days. 

Baseball is also deeply hurt by competitive imbalance. The steroid crackdown has helped as you can't sign the A-Rods anymore without taking huge financial risk but there are still teams that can spend money cherry picking other teams free agents. I'd say this issue hurts baseball more than player movement on its own. That said I don't know if the Red Sox are a big market or a small market team these days and I'm not sure they know either...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

for a week or so..

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Maybe it does , but winning cures all .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Felix Hernandez has been loyal to the Seattle Mariners to date, signing a five-year extension in January 2010, but we'll see what happens if Hernandez reaches free agency following the 2014 season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to LeftyGrove's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As an older fan, I remember stars playing for long years with a home team, it helped bond kids and adults to following that hometown star.  Let's skip the free agency argument, I ask a few questions to all who care to share their thoughts, what do you think/believe?:

1. , Does all the player movement, make it more difficult for a fan to identify with a team?

2.  For those who remember guys with a team for a while, do you think the local community involvement of star players, the frequency in the papers of such activity made you more inclined to root for the home team?

3.  With the frequent shifting of player allegiance to seek a better deal, (their right by the way), dim the future luster in creating fan support for home teams and thus the game itself?

I look forward to your thoughtful comments, I am concerned about the future of the game based upon my questions above and would appreciate other fans insightful opinions/observations.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong people to ask....Send your post to Scott Boras.....If you pay me i will come. Money money money.Any player will be loyal only if you give him money. Loyalty left the game with the likes of Yaz ,Rice ,Evans and it's not just Baseball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE] I am not seeking a solution, just the thoughts of others. Please re-read my post. Thanks,

Sure, but what is your solution? 

The free agency train has left the station and the players union in the most powerful in all of sports. it's the most powerful union in the world for that matter, in terms of negotiating power. 

Baseball's bigger problem is that the proliferation of cable and Internet options and the acceleration of modern life has changed the "day at the ballpark" scenario, probably forever. NFL has taken over both from a ratings and TV standpoint but also from a lifestyle point of view - one big game a week for most fans is plenty these days. 

Baseball is also deeply hurt by competitive imbalance. The steroid crackdown has helped as you can't sign the A-Rods anymore without taking huge financial risk but there are still teams that can spend money cherry picking other teams free agents. I'd say this issue hurts baseball more than player movement on its own. That said I don't know if the Red Sox are a big market or a small market team these days and I'm not sure they know either...

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

of course it hurts but this is a free nation...go where you are paid well and desired....cant blame folks for that...

players do come and go but the team stays....

Sections
Shortcuts