Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter.

Arguments were put forth on the "Interleague Play" thread.  Some argue that AL teams are at a disadvantage because their pitchers are not used to hitting.  Others contend that the NL is at a disadvantage because they don't carry an extra 12 mil per year bat on their rosters.  In addition, the record shows that the AL has a better record in interleague play.

However, these assertions still don't answer the question of whether having a DH or pitcher bat works to one league's advantage or not overall.  The AL win advantage could still be due to other factors such as just simply having stronger teams over a period of time.

The matter shouldn't be too difficult to resolve.  We need to look at the performance of NL DHs vs AL DHs and NL pitchers vs. AL pitchers in interleague play, put the data together, and see who comes out ahead.

Apparently, nobody on that thread bothered to put together the proof, and I can't say I blame them if they don't know how to access the data.  So what I'm asking for now are volunteers who are either adept at and/or enjoy doing that sort of thing to help resolve this question.  Please also note if you are including the World Series or not with your data.  You may want to add that separately. 

Thank you for your time and consideration for those willing to compile the data to help solve this question once and for all. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter.

Well ..... uh nope still can't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter.:
    [QUOTE]Well ..... uh nope still can't.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I didn't expect you to have anything to contribute, but I thank you anyway for helping to keep this thread near the top of the front burner so that somebody who might be interested will be more likely to see it.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Your welcome - its my version of "the bump".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

AL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I think that MLB should change the rules and have both leagues adapt the DH. Of course the NL has an advantage. Their pitchers are capable hitters. Ours are not. we are basically giving them an automatic out everytime one of our pitchers gets an at bat, except for josh beckett who can hit. watching timmy stand there and watch three strikes go over the middle of the plate was painful. plus, we lose papi unless he pinch hits which is only once. I'm sorry, I hate it when we go to NL parks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It favors the NL in NL parks and the AL in AL parks.

The problem for the Red Sox is the 9 games in a row at AL parks with 2 days rest in the middle.  It would be better if they played 1 series at an NL park followed by a series at an AL park.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Although many fans favor the DH because the added offense, it's not real baseball. The nine players in the field need the be the nine that come to bat.
    There's much more strategy involved in planning the offense around the pitcher and for the true baseball fan, it's the way the game should be played. The AL has always been the more progressive, while the NL the more traditional.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Sheriff, I am not interested in going back to look everything up, but I can tell you this.  Last night on the Mariners game they mentioned that the AL DH is hitting .278 in interleague play.  The NL DH is batting .232.  Also, the AL pitchers were within .006 of NL pitches in batting (.117 to .111 if I recall correctly).  At the end of the interleague play set of games, ESPN usually does a little tale of the tape thing, and the AL always seems to be ahead in DH and pretty close to equal, and sometimes better, in pitcher batting. 

But I am not sure that is even a correct way to figure it out.  An NL team can rest an everyday player at the DH spot and put in a better defensive player at that position.  For example, the Phillies can DH Ibanez and put a better defensive OF in his place.  The added bat isn't Ibanez the DH but the replacement OF.  Plus, what is the added advantage of better defensive player?  Personally I would say the defensive replacement would be a worse hitter overall (if he were a good hitter and good defense, he would be starting) so I am not sure that would add much to the numbers, probably detract a little, and again if his defense was enough to make up for his hitting, he would probably be a starter.  So, based on that data, I would say the AL has the overall advantage.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter.:
    [QUOTE]Cracks me up. The rfn are whining this year because they can't have the DH in interleague. Last year is was the unbalanced interleague schedule, where they felt that the sawx played tougher teams than the Yanks. Now, this year, the sawx have the easier interleague schedule and the rfn complains about the DH. Grow up and grow a set.
    Posted by betterdeadthanred[/QUOTE]

what happened babe? run out of dots?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterdeadthanred. Show betterdeadthanred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter. : what happened babe? run out of dots?

Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Nah, just figured I'd have fun with softy for a bit. Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Why are we settling the matter?

Because Youk asked us to?

Because we couldn't find a better #5 hitter than Drew?

Let's first settle the matter of the inequity in payroll between teams such as, um, the Red Sox and the Pirates.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

solid post fizsh

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does interleague play favor the NL or the AL? Time to settle the matter. : Nah, just figured I'd have fun with softy for a bit. 
    Posted by betterdeadthanred[/QUOTE]

gotcha!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

My take is that it depends on the team. The biggest advantage for the NL teams playing in NL parks is that thier rosters were contructed knowing that the pitcher bats, 1-6 none of the NL best hitters have to sit, regardless of the venue...AL teams like the Sox, construct thier's rosters with the DH as a primary bat in the line-up. Which means having a guy like Ortiz, who has to sit because Gonzalez can't play another position or vise versa takes one of the AL teams 1-6 hitters out of the lineup. Which certainly benefits the NL, regardless of the park the NL, never has to alter their lineup and in the case of playing in AL parks it allows them to get at bats for thier bench guys...the stats above comparing the AL DH to the NL DH is apples and oranges, rarely do the NL DH hit in the middle of the order most are relageted to the bottom of the order...if they wer ecapable of hitting in the middle of the order they'd be starters or DH in the AL...

In the end it still comes down to pitching and the AL has over time had better overall results in interleague play...I think that's becasue AL pitchers are conditioned to pitching to deeper lineups, NL pitchers have always had an easy out in the 9 hole...which allows them to pitch around the 7 and 8 hole early in games. To a degree it's also cyclical from year to year the Ray's used to be an easy get, not so much anymore...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Sheriff, I am not interested in going back to look everything up, but I can tell you this.  Last night on the Mariners game they mentioned that the AL DH is hitting .278 in interleague play.  The NL DH is batting .232.  Also, the AL pitchers were within .006 of NL pitches in batting (.117 to .111 if I recall correctly).  At the end of the interleague play set of games, ESPN usually does a little tale of the tape thing, and the AL always seems to be ahead in DH and pretty close to equal, and sometimes better, in pitcher batting.  But I am not sure that is even a correct way to figure it out.  An NL team can rest an everyday player at the DH spot and put in a better defensive player at that position.  For example, the Phillies can DH Ibanez and put a better defensive OF in his place.  The added bat isn't Ibanez the DH but the replacement OF.  Plus, what is the added advantage of better defensive player?  Personally I would say the defensive replacement would be a worse hitter overall (if he were a good hitter and good defense, he would be starting) so I am not sure that would add much to the numbers, probably detract a little, and again if his defense was enough to make up for his hitting, he would probably be a starter.  So, based on that data, I would say the AL has the overall advantage.   
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

Solid post, fizsh.  More along the lines I'm looking for with some great added points about defense.  My question is about the part highlighted in red.  Did they/you mean the AL DH vs. NL DH and pitchers in total up to this point in season, or did they mean the Seattle's DH and pitcher vs. that NL team?  I suspect they/you meant the former, in which case it would constitute a large enough body of data to show a big advantage to the AL to offset a negligible gain in pitcher offense that still probably offsets any defensive adjustments NL teams make by a wide margin.   

I'd still like to see the overall data because it's probably the best we have to work with in terms of making a larger general statement.  I'm sure it's been done somewhere but I couldn't find it on a cursory Internet search.  Thanks for your input. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]AL
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Good to see you around, Jess.  Don't let the blue meanies keep you away. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Sheriff, it meant the AL vs the NL DH.  What I am not sure about is whether they meant this year or since interleague play. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I think that MLB should change the rules and have both leagues adapt the DH. Of course the NL has an advantage. Their pitchers are capable hitters. Ours are not. we are basically giving them an automatic out everytime one of our pitchers gets an at bat, except for josh beckett who can hit. watching timmy stand there and watch three strikes go over the middle of the plate was painful. plus, we lose papi unless he pinch hits which is only once. I'm sorry, I hate it when we go to NL parks.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Having the DH in both leagues would definitely be a good solution.  It is also difficult for pitchers to become good hitters.   Even pitchers in the National League aren't really good hitters and most of them bat ninth or at the bottom of their batting order.  The rules should be the same for both leagues. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Its baseball, the team that scores the most wins, pitching, hitting fielding all the same. Funny how you chastise Burrito for stating the obvious. You must be part of the elite team here on BDC! This place is now a joke because of people like you who think your opinion means more than others! Batters hit, pitchers pitch! Maybe someday Burrito and I can be part of the exclusive club along with Harnazz and Kim and you the appointed sheriff! Then again why bother.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Its baseball, the team that scores the most wins, pitching, hitting fielding all the same. Funny how you chastise Burrito for stating the obvious. You must be part of the elite team here on BDC! This place is now a joke because of people like you who think your opinion means more than others! Batters hit, pitchers pitch! Maybe someday Burrito and I can be part of the exclusive club along with Harnazz and Kim and you the appointed sheriff! Then again why bother.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Promise, I don't know what provoked such a snippy response, but I see that you don't quite get the point of this thread.  This is not about my opinion at all.  In fact, I was looking for data so that I could better form an opinion instead of pulling one out of my butthole. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Is There a Correlation Between Interleague Winning Percentages and DH/P/PH Offensive Production?

(In addition to appearing at The Captain’s Blog, this post is also being syndicated at www.yankeeanalysts.com/" target="_blank">TheYankeeAnalysts.)

Heading into the second half of the interleague schedule, the American League holds a 66-60 advantage over the National League. If that winning percentage holds, it will continue the senior circuit’s gradual improvement since losing over 60% of interleague contests in 2006.

Historical Interleague Records, By League

Note: Data as of June 23, 2011
    Source: MLB.com

Most experts agree that the American League’s recent dominance of interleague matchups has been the result of having better players and stronger teams. Less clear, however, is whether one league or another enjoys an inherent interleague advantage, all else being equal.

For a www.bronxbanterblog.com/2011/06/23/color-by-numbers-choosing-sides/" target="_blank">recent article, I compiled aggregate data for all interleague-related plate appearances, which were defined as follows: DHs hitting in an AL park; pitchers hitting in a NL park; and pinch hitters batting in the ninth slot in a NL park. Not surprisingly, American League DHs posted an OPS that was 0.084 points higher, while National League pitchers outperformed by 0.070 OPS points.  What was interesting, however, is that when all of the relevant at bats were totaled, the combined performance was nearly identical. In other words, it seems as if neither league enjoys an overall advantage during interleague play.

Even though the aggregate league totals don’t suggest an advantage, what about individual teams? In order to answer that question, the aforementioned interleague-related plate appearances were compiled on an team-by-team basis using game logs. Then, the combined output for each ballclub’s offense was compared to totals given up by its pitching staff.  Finally, each team’s relative performance was compared to their interleague record.

Despite using this more granular analysis, the same general trends were observed. All but three American League teams (Orioles, Royals and Tigers) enjoyed greater production from the DH slot, while all National League teams underperformed from that position. On the opposite side of the ledger, only three teams from the senior circuit (Reds, Marlins and Pirates) had lower output from the pitcher’s spot in the batting order, while two junior circuit teams (Angels and Indians) managed to wrestle away an advantage. The real question, however, is what conclusion, if any, can be drawn from the aggregated data?

Net OPS in “Interleague PAs” (bars) versus Winning Percentage (line)

PH portion of “interleague PAs” based on all pinch hitters used to replace a batter hitting in the ninth slot. Pinch hitters used for pitchers batting in other slots have been omitted, and pinch hitters replacing a ninth place batter who is not the pitcher have been included.
    Note: Data as of June 23, 2011
    Source: Baseball-reference.com

As it turns out, there seems to be a significant correlation (R=0.70) between “net interleague output” and winning percentage in those games. In particular, the relationship seems strongest at the extremes. Among the seven teams with an OPS edge of more than 50 points, only one doesn’t have a winning record (not surprisingly, the Cubs are the team that defies success). Meanwhile, all six teams with an OPS deficit of at least 50 points have a losing interleague record.

Although the correlation between interleague production and winning percentage is a strong one, that doesn’t mean pitchers, DHs and pinch hitters solely determine the outcome in these games. There are many more reasons why the Pirates have the worst interleague record and the Yankees have the best, but it does seem as if the team that accentuates its league-based advantages starts off with at least a small head start.

Eureka!  I think I found the answer to my question.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

At the end of the day, I believe it slightly favors the NL.  Yes the AL can build their rosters to include a guy who's main role is DH, but it's not like the NL doesn't have teams with good bench players.  When AL is @ NL, it's an even playing field except the NL pitchers are slightly better at hitting.

If you net them out, slight edge to the NL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"Its baseball, the team that scores the most wins, pitching, hitting fielding all the same. Funny how you chastise Burrito for stating the obvious. You must be part of the elite team here on BDC! This place is now a joke because of people like you who think your opinion means more than others! Batters hit, pitchers pitch! Maybe someday Burrito and I can be part of the exclusive club along with Harnazz and Kim and you the appointed sheriff! Then again why bother."  promise4you

Hi promise, well said.  There is no two way street with the Sherrif, they are allowed to pick on people and make cutting jokes so long as they don't get treated in kind.  Its quite the buddy system.

Maybe they will take the high road on your comment as you are a respected and welcomed poster here, otherwise don't be shocked should they sling mud.