Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?

Before you answer, consider this.

The Sox are 41-26 at home
    and they are 42-26 on the road.

From a W-L standpoint, it doesn't look like it matters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?

From a W-L standpoint, it doesn't look like it matters

how bout your opponents record

but yeah I don't think it's all that important

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Opponent may over-ride home advantage. Win the division and it's a win-win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

This year it doesn't seem to matter.  The problem comes if it is a stadium that does little to help the Sox.  I don't know....  I like their chances anywhere this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Before you answer, consider this. The Sox are 41-26 at home and they are 42-26 on the road. From a W-L standpoint, it doesn't look like it matters.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

It doesn't and they have beat hell out of the NY in the Bronx.  But it's still nice to have it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

The home field advantage doesn't matter. What matters is who you face.
     Assuming that Texas finishes with a better record than Detroit (a fair thought), the AL East winner faces Detroit, while the AL wild card winner faces Texas. I would much rather face Detroit than Texas. A Detroit-Boston series is guaranteed to go like this:
    Game one     Verlander vs Beckett     Detroit wins                                        Game two     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins
    Game three   Lackey vs Porcello         Boston wins
    Game four     Beckett vs Verlander     Detroit wins
    Game five     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins series       

Also, I'm afraid of how well Texas has played against us the past few years. I'm also confident that the Yankees would quickly dispose of Texas in a playoff series, making for a Sox-Yankees ALCS.                           

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It does matter for one simple reason. Home team bats last.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

in some instances yes, but push come to shove, you want that chip', you gotta win road games too, everywhere matters, but ain't nothing wrong with some home cooking..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Of course it matters, that is why they award it to those with best records amongst division winners.

As Devildavid points out have the last 3 outs isn't anything to sneeze at.

The debate in this market historically has been how much it matters and if the RS should play every game in 30+ games stretch like it was the last game of the season to get there. Much of that has come from the RS being rather firmly in the WC spot most years in the stretch.

The answer to me is it is an advantage but not that much of an edge. The overall health of the team's players, how wel they are playing coming into the playoffs and having the rotation in the order they want it matters more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

In Response to Re: Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?:
    [QUOTE] The home field advantage doesn't matter. What matters is who you face.  Assuming that Texas finishes with a better record than Detroit (a fair thought), the AL East winner faces Detroit, while the AL wild card winner faces Texas. I would much rather face Detroit than Texas. A Detroit-Boston series is guaranteed to go like this: Game one     Verlander vs Beckett     Detroit wins                                        Game two     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins Game three   Lackey vs Porcello         Boston wins Game four     Beckett vs Verlander     Detroit wins Game five     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins series           Also, I'm afraid of how well Texas has played against us the past few years. I'm also confident that the Yankees would quickly dispose of Texas in a playoff series, making for a Sox-Yankees ALCS.                           If the Series plays out games 1 and 2 as you predict, then I can assure you it would not be returning to Boston for game 5.  If Detroit goes home tied 1-1, they will win it in 4.  Do you really want the scenario of relying on Lackey in Game 3 ?  Knowing that Verlander awaits for a Game 4 clinching Start ?  I am a Yankees fan and I know that if you only gain a split at home, before heading to Detroit, your days in October will be numbered.  Either the Yankees or the Sox against the Tigers have to win games 1 and 2 at home, you cannot go back to Detroit 1-1, you won't come back.
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It can, but in the end I think what matters the most is whole well your playing as a team going into the post season.

Still, homefield would be nice. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Of all the 4 major sports I think from looking at records that in the playoffs home field advantage is the least important in baseball. I think pro football and basketball it's a big advantage. Hockey next and baseball last. Probably because of pitching and other things. Most teams in the regular season do have a better record at home because they are use to it but in te playoffs so many things can happen. In 2002 was the bizarro Red Sox we had the best road record in baseball but we were lonly like 3 or 4 games over 500 ast home and that really hurt us because we were 93-69 and a few more home wins we have the wild card.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

2004 WS champion (as a wildcard team) - Sweep in first round, played seven games during ACLS, and sweep Cardinals as a home team to win the world series. (two disadvantage and one advantage)

2007 WS champion (as a AL East division championship team) - Sweep in first round, played seven games during ACLS, and sweep Colorado as a home team to win the world series. (all three series are homefield advantage for Boston)

But this year as a wild card, Boston will be disadvantage for all series due the world series homefield advantage belong to NL this year.  So therefore, this year path to the World Series is so much different than the last two Boston's world series.  Just like being #8 seeding team making all the way to final.

Think about that.  Plus playing at Texas as well maybe to face NY Yankees as a during ACLS may be tough task to advance to world series.

Really it is better off to win the AL East division so that way Boston will have two homefield advantage series before making to World Series. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Play to win and let the cards fall where they may.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I think it matters. I don't think it's the be-all end-all that some fans and media types make it out to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is called home field ADVANTAGE for a reason.  Not only does it matter , but there is a pride in winning the division. Play to win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs?:
    [QUOTE] The home field advantage doesn't matter. What matters is who you face.  Assuming that Texas finishes with a better record than Detroit (a fair thought), the AL East winner faces Detroit, while the AL wild card winner faces Texas. I would much rather face Detroit than Texas. A Detroit-Boston series is guaranteed to go like this: Game one     Verlander vs Beckett     Detroit wins                                        Game two     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins Game three   Lackey vs Porcello         Boston wins Game four     Beckett vs Verlander     Detroit wins Game five     Sherzer vs Lester          Boston wins series           Also, I'm afraid of how well Texas has played against us the past few years. I'm also confident that the Yankees would quickly dispose of Texas in a playoff series, making for a Sox-Yankees ALCS.                           
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to concede that if the Red Sox draw the Tigers that Verlander is going to win both games against Beckett. In the regular season, those two went against each other and split.

Beckett was a bit better in the first game that the Sox won, 4-3. He allowed 1 run in six innings and allowed five hits. He got a no-decision. Verlander went eight innings and allowed three runs on six hits.

In the second start, Verlander was better, going 7.2 innings with no runs and four hits. The Tigers won 3-0. Beckett went six innings and allowed two runs.

Verlander obviously will be tough, but with Beckett pitching, I don't think they're automatic losses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Definitely play to win ... but Yanks & Sox will meet for the ALCS, and then home field means zip.   If it were the F-ing Rays in that warehouse they call a stadium with all the cowbell toting yahoos, I would ay HFA is HUGE.  Too bad they Rays are out of it  ...Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Verlander goes 8 and Beckett only goes 6.... that is important.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]It is called home field ADVANTAGE for a reason.  Not only does it matter , but there is a pride in winning the division. Play to win.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

For the record, my question had nothing to do with whether or not the Sox should try to win the division. It was just a general question about home field because people living in the past try to make the case the Sox are built to win at Fenway but struggle on the road, and the fact is, the Sox have been just equal on the road and at Fenway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Verlander goes 8 and Beckett only goes 6.... that is important.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. If Beckett is giving up just one run in six and you can get through the seventh, I'll take Bard and Papelbon on the back end. To me that's better than Verlander going eight but giving up three runs.

Verlander is great. But Beckett is pretty good in his own right and not exactly a pushover. And those games were in May. Beckett's pitch counts in those two games were 83 and 107. VErlander's were 114 and 132.

It seems to me in the postseason, Beckett will pushed more in the postseason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs? : For the record, my question had nothing to do with whether or not the Sox should try to win the division. It was just a general question about home field because people living in the past try to make the case the Sox are built to win at Fenway but struggle on the road, and the fact is, the Sox have been just equal on the road and at Fenway.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    No question that the Sox have played well on the road , and that would probably hold true in the post season, as well. They will have to if they make it to the fall classic.  However , there really cannot be any doubt that it is better to play at home. I think if you asked the players, they would all prefer to play at home.  This team can win either way , but home field advantage is awarded to the division winner for a valid reason. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does It Matter if the Sox Have Home Field Advantage in Playoffs? : No question that the Sox have played well on the road , and that would probably hold true in the post season, as well. They will have to if they make it to the fall classic.  However , there really cannot be any doubt that it is better to play at home. I think if you asked the players, they would all prefer to play at home.  This team can win either way , but home field advantage is awarded to the division winner for a valid reason. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I'm sure they'd rather have that extra game at home. Heck, I want them to have that extra game at home simply because I'd rather watch a game played at Fenway than anywhere else.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It can matter, but post season baseball, the fans can have slight impact on the outcome of a game, if the guy on the bump for the opposition can't handle the stage, end of the day momentum and advantages in the postseason come down to one huge factor...it's all about that days starting pitcher and the back end of the pen!

Just ask the 2001 Seattle Mariners who won 116 games but lost to the Yanks in 6, or the Philles last year, who had the home field in the NLCS and lost to the Giant's...Homefield can give you a slight advantage, having your #1 pitch big in a big game gives you a much larger advantage followed by your #2 if both of them outpitch their contemporaries it's hard to win when your #1 gets beat twice in a 7 game series...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

right, roy, you win the division to create a matchup, not to get home advantage. In fact, that is the only reason why you try to win a division title, knowing who you may face in the 1st round of a series. It's more clear cut this year than in any previous season. Sometimes, it's the last week, and with wild cards before this season getting decided late, you sometimes can't figure out who your opponent will be. This year--it's clear.