Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?

Now that the Red Sox are back in the win column, can they ride this little wavelet of momentum into the Bronx...???  Those of you on this forum who have had previous experience with my countless number of surprising and yet accurate long-shot predictions (I apologize but I am a little too busy now to go to the archives and post all of them) understandably suspect I am a latter day auspex of sorts...Lets just say I try not to abuse my Nostradamian knack for bird-free augury...But this weekend is a special occasion, and because Monsieur Carnie is in a heightened state of dread over the likelihood that the Bosox will get trounced, and ultimately lose the season series to the Yanks (and in the process lose his bet with me, Perenially Gracious and Well-Behaved Yankee fan), I have decided to swing open the Delphic Oracle doors, and give my prediction...As always, you can take this one to the bank...(or an online betting parlor for that matter)...Indeed, I am actually going to GUARANTEE my pick this week, and so it will be ABSOLUTELY FREE to anyone on this forum who promises never ever to criticize me or imply that I am "not very funny at all" (a shockingly abusive and wildly inaccurate comment once made by a clearly humorless poster with a negative agenda)...
    Drum roll please..........

Red Sox Sweep Yanks!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?

Of course it matters. We have a bet. I'm not making any predictions because I don't want to jinx my team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?:
    Of course it matters. We have a bet. I'm not making any predictions because I don't want to jinx my team.
    Posted by carnie

Hmmm...No predictions because you do not want to jinx your team?...Could any kind of jinx really be a negative thing at this point for the Bosox??? It might even have an un-jinxing effect, Carnie...Now, in an alternate universe, if I were a hypercritical, anger-management-driven poster, I might ask if your previous well-documented predictions are actually at the root of this year's Fowlgate Curse Revisited....I hope not, monsieur...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I rarely make predictions about anything like this because I'm kind of superstitious that way. I will place the odd wager as you well know, I do hope we sweep you guys this weekend, but I'm hardly expecting it, especially with Papi out. I was really hoping he'd be back by this series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be?:
    I rarely make predictions about anything like this because I'm kind of superstitious that way. I will place the odd wager as you well know, I do hope we sweep you guys this weekend, but I'm hardly expecting it, especially with Papi out. I was really hoping he'd be back by this series.
    Posted by carnie

I will say this carnie...Though I have not seen this speculated anywhere online, why wouldn't the Yanks sign Papi to a 2 year deal if the Red Sox don't offer him what he wants...? While the Ibanez-Jones platoon has been decent, Ortiz could put up some serious numbers in Yankee Stadium...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : I will say this carnie...Though I have not seen this speculated anywhere online, why wouldn't the Yanks sign Papi to a 2 year deal if the Red Sox don't offer him what he wants...? While the Ibanez-Jones platoon has been decent, Ortiz could put up some serious numbers in Yankee Stadium...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt
    All the other Yankee fans seem to think it would never happen because the Yanks need to rest Jeter, ARod and Teix. If Papi were to go to the Yanks in a waiver deal, I'd be really torn because it would be hard not to cheer for the big man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When's the last time we faced 3 RHPs in NY?

Hughes
    Phelps
    Kuroda

Too bad Papi won't be in the line-up, but our LHB's might explode.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

When's the last time we faced 3 RHPs in NY? Hughes Phelps Kuroda Too bad Papi won't be in the line-up, but our LHB's might explode.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Who are we pitching, Morales, Lester and Doubront?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I know, but I don't buy that...A Rod's bat has slowed so much I think that is a moot point...Chavez has actually surpassed him as a replacement while he has been on the DL...And remember, Papi can spell Tex at first....Since I believe the Yankees' chances of winning it all in 2012 are pretty thin, I think the Yankee offense will remain its most suspect component next year (assuming pitchers like Pineda, Aardsma and Mo come back).  Adding Papi might just solve that problem and bring them another ring in 2013....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I know, but I don't buy that...A Rod's bat has slowed so much I think that is a moot point...Chavez has actually surpassed him as a replacement while he has beem on the DL...And remember, Papi can spell Tex at first....Since I believe the Yankees' chances of winning it all in 2012 are pretty thin, I think the Yankee offense will remain its most suspect component next year (assuming pitchers like Pineda, Aardsma and Mo come back).  Adding Papi might just solve that problem and bring them another ring in 2013....
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt
    Hopefully the Red Sox will do the right thing and offer him 3 years so he can retire in the right uniform. They'll certainly offer him arbitration. Do you really think the Yanks would offer multiple years at 15 per? I heard you guiys were trying to get under the luxury tax too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : Hopefully the Red Sox will do the right thing and offer him 3 years so he can retire in the right uniform. They'll certainly offer him arbitration. Do you really think the Yanks would offer multiple years at 15 per? I heard you guiys were trying to get under the luxury tax too.
    Posted by carnie

I think they would offer him 2 years..And remember, there are rumblings that he feels taken for granted by JH's ownership crew, and that that has something to do with the "extended healing process"...I think it is a long shot, but it would certainly be a sad day for Bosox fans if it ever did happen...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : I think they would offer him 2 years..And remember, there are rumblings that he feels taken for granted by JH's ownership crew, and that that has something to do with the "extended healing process"...I think it is a long shot, but t would be a sad day for Bosox fans if it ever did happen...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt
    I'd have to cheer for him no matter where he wound up. Cheering against Ortiz would be like cheering against Jim Rice. I think at the end of the day David knows that he belongs in Boston, and JH knows that it would be a major PR blunder to let him walk away. I think it would alienate a lot of Red Sox fans. Anyway baseball and football are really just a distraction so we don't spend too much time thinking about the corporatization of America.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : I'd have to cheer for him no matter where he wound up. Cheering against Ortiz would be like cheering against Jim Rice. I think at the end of the day David knows that he belongs in Boston, and JH knows that it would be a major PR blunder to let him walk away. I think it would alienate a lot of Red Sox fans. Anyway baseball and football are really just a distraction so we don't spend too much time thinking about the corporatization of America.
    Posted by carnie

Very true, carnie...In One-Dimensional Man, Herbert Marcuse dubbed it the "colonization of the psyche"...That's why the busier I stay with my activism, the less guilty I feel about being a helplessly and hopelessly neurotic Yankee fan...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : Very true, carnie...In One-Dimensional Man, Herbert Marcuse dubbed it the "colonization of the psyche"...That's why the busier I stay with my activism, the less guilty I feel about being a helplessly and hopelessly neurotic Yankee fan...
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt
    I wish I were more politically active, but here's the thing, I'm not sure anything can be fixed politically because our political system is bought and paid for already. And the left is just as guilty as the right in my book. I do like a lot of the principles ofr the Green Party, and I am in fact a registered Green, but I honestly believe that the American electoral system is rigged so no one that ideaqlistic could ever attain power. Then again I'm pretty cynical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : I wish I were more politically active, but here's the thing, I'm not sure anything can be fixed politically because our political system is bought and paid for already. And the left is just as guilty as the right in my book. I do like a lot of the principles ofr the Green Party, and I am in fact a registered Green, but I honestly believe that the American electoral system is rigged so no one that ideaqlistic could ever attain power. Then again I'm pretty cynical.
    Posted by carnie

Not to get into a big political discussion, carnie, but I wouldn't make generalizations about the "left" because it means a lot of different things to different people...To me, anyone supporting Obama is never going to be credentialized as a "leftist"...As to the activist left, it had been moribund for a long time until the Occupy Wall Street movement began over a year ago...The local Occupy group I work with is an amazing bunch of 20 or so people (who are all employed with the exception of a full-time college student, a homemaker with 2 young kids and 2 guys in their 20's who do a lot of seasonal construction/handyman work)...All of the work we do is focused on local issues, especially people who are fighting foreclosure, corrupt employers etc.  The US media refuses to cover most of it, for fear of encouraging it further...But make no mistake...It is growing, and I have never been so hopeful about the "left" in America as I am now, and the long term potential for change...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I guess I should have said democrats instead of the left. For all of my libertarian tendencies I'd probably be considered a leftist as well. Occupy is pretty active here in the Bay Area too, especially in Oakland. I seriously believe it would take a revolution to effect real change at this point in American history though. And I'm just not so sure the majority of Americans are in love with liberty as we once were.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I guess I should have said democrats instead of the left. For all of my libertarian tendencies I'd probably be considered a leftist as well. Occupy is pretty active here in the Bay Area too, especially in Oakland. I seriously believe it would take a revolution to effect real change at this point in American history though. And I'm just not so sure the majority of Americans are in love with liberty as we once were.
    Posted by carnie

I can understand your scepticism, carnie, but I am SO hopeful....After all, as, Bruce Cockburn chimes, history unfortunately does take such a "long, long time"" when you're "waiting for a miracle"...But the evolutionary power of the Holy Spirit is alive and well in history and, as my mom used to say to me when things got me down, "Don't worry, honey...God is good..."  ...Goodnight monsieur..I will be here tomorrow for the Yankee-Red Sox shootout...

"Look at them working in the hot sun
    The pilloried saints and the fallen ones
    Working and waiting for the night to come
    And waiting for a miracle

Somewhere out there is a place that's cool
    Where peace and balance are the rule
    Working toward a future like some kind of mystic jewel
    And waiting for a miracle

You rub your palm
    On the grimy pane
    In the hope that you can see
    You stand up proud
    You pretend you're strong
    In the hope that you can be
    Like the ones who've cried
    Like the ones who've died
    Trying to set the angel in us free
    While they're waiting for a miracle

Struggle for a dollar, scuffle for a dime
    Step out from the past and try to hold the line
    So how come history takes such a long, long time
    When you're waiting for a miracle

You rub your palm
    On the grimy pane
    In the hope that you can see
    You stand up proud
    You pretend you're strong
    In the hope that you can be
    Like the ones who've cried
    Like the ones who've died
    Trying to set the angel in us free
    While they're waiting for a miracle."
    - Bruce Cockburn

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"  I honestly believe that the American electoral system is rigged so no one that ideaqlistic could ever attain power. "

On the presidential level, yes. It's all bought and paid for. 

On the local level, there is the chance to do some cool stuff - no matter what your views. Tapping into that grassroots is the only way forward moralewise- not matter what your views. 

As for this weekend's games, I think the series does matter, more to the Yanks who are trying to hang on despite a run of injuries and adversity. But it also matters to the Red Sox as this series will help ownership and management see what needs to happen in the offseason etc

On a positive note - ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION PIKE - I was very impressed to see the three management amigos make a surprise road visit to our beleagered team and also to see Lucchino answering questions more honestly. That was encouraging for me and it was clearly encouraging for the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

When's the last time we faced 3 RHPs in NY? Hughes Phelps Kuroda Too bad Papi won't be in the line-up, but our LHB's might explode.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Moon, alot of times it's been the Sox LH's that have done the damage(Ortiz, JElls, Salty..etc) though they are RH, DP and Ross seem to hit against the Yanks anyway..  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

There's a Red Sox Yankees series this weekend?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

i predict a sox sweep in the bronx, the catalyst for a rockies-esque september firestorm that catapults the once-left-for-dead red sox into the playoffs.

Kiss

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

i predict a sox sweep in the bronx, the catalyst for a rockies-esque september firestorm that catapults the once-left-for-dead red sox into the playoffs.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I hope you're right, Space!

I feel it's more like the woman that just dumped me, but still wants to be friends.

She'll call, because her car is running crappy, but will take her new bf away in it on Monday, after I spend the weekend fixing it.

The Sox will take 2-3 this weekend, get my hopes up and then, get swept by the Angels.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Does this weekend's Red Sox-Yankee series matter, and what will the result be? : I hope you're right, Space! I feel it's more like the woman that just dumped me, but still wants to friends. She'll call, because her car is running crappy, but take her new bf away in it on Monday, after I spend the weekend fixing it. The Sox will take 2-3 this weekend, get my hopes up and then, get swept by the Angels.
    Posted by ThefourBs

I hope you are wrong 4Bs.  A. I am going to 2 games in the series in Anaheim  B. You should never fix your exgirlfriend's car.  ever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

Back to the question of the post, I personally do not feel it matters much other than the head-to-head stats. If Boston sweeps, they gain 3 games on the Yankees, which is not really going to put a dent in things. Now if the other teams in the wild card hunt all lose 3 games, then it will be of significance. Of course I have no idea of the other teams schedules so if 2 are playing one another, its impossible for them all to lose 3 games.

Sections
Shortcuts