Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TORNSOX. Show TORNSOX's posts

Re: Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.

In Response to Re: Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.:
    Carl Crawford cant do any worse so he logically will imrove. Batting .200 woould be an improvement.   Gonzo is batting .268 with 1HR,  not exactly what i thought we'd see at 10 games in. Imsure he'll get better but he was portrayed as a 40-50hr guy. Lets see.  Josh Beckett had one terrible game and one excellent game and youre saying hes back? We have Dice K, Lackey in the starting roation almost a guaranteed 6 runs given up each time. I dont see this team getting to the playoffs let alone the WS. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

I LIKE YOUR REALITY.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

I don't think they'll do it with Francona at the helm. He has as much fire in him as the team is playing with right now. There are at least two times already this year when he should've been thrown out of the game and hardly even put up an argument. Contrast that with what Maddon did on Sunday.

Salty can't hit a breaking ball and has been terrible ever since the league figured that out four years ago. Should be playing the captain a lot more than he is. At least the captain can handle a staff. This is probably more Theo's directive but c'mon, when has Salty ever been good?

He's got musical chairs going with the batting order. Didn't we go through the problem a few managers ago?

Tito needs to start winning TODAY's game instead of worrying about the season. At some point you've got to win today's game. That point was last week and Tito's still leaving starters in to allow 9 runs to "save the bullpen". In the first week of the season our manager was worried about a tired pen.

I hope you're right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Unstablederek72. Show Unstablederek72's posts

love the post great, wish more redsox fans would be this optimistic..go redsox

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

In Response to Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.:
    You can look at the past and evaluate it any way you want. I tend to look at it in a positive light. For instance, of the 18 division winners the last three seasons, only six were in first place a month into the season. In fact, The Mets were in first place on May 1 last year. And they didn't exactly ride that fast start to October glory. Sure the Sox were picked by just about everyone to win the American League East and then take the AL pennant. Many of these “experts” said the Sox should win the 2011 World Series. And some of those same prognosticators are now predicting gloom and doom. But we know better; we know it is only April and there is a long way to go. Remember that the best teams, including pennant winners, sometimes have slumps of three, four and even five-game losing streaks during a season. And we can look back in comfort at our cousins, the 1914 Boston Braves; they started 0-3 and made one of the most famous recoveries in MLB history. They came to be known as “The Miracle Braves.” Not only did the 1914 Boston Braves open their season by losing two games to the Brooklyn Dodgers and one to the Philadelphia Phillies before winning a game, they were dead last in the eight-team National League on July 18 when they were five games beyond the halfway mark of the season. The Braves were 11 games behind the first place New York Giants on that date before starting the “miracle” comeback. Led by Rabbit Maranville at shortstop and Johnny Evers at second base, the Braves took the NL pennant with 94 victories and then swept those same Philadelphia Athletics in the 1914 World Series, 4-0. Moreover, I hope the Sox can replicate the success of the 1998 New York Yankees. The 1998 Yankees opened 0-3 and then bounced back with a vengeance to win the 1998 World Series. This was Manager Joe Torre’s second of four WS championships with the Yankees and the first of three titles in a row for the Yanks. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada were in their fourth season as Yankee teammates in 1998. These three were part of the driving force that turned that rather poor 1998 opening completely around as the Yanks won their fourth game that season, lost their fifth and then went on a tear by winning eight in a row and 24 of their next 26 games. When it was all over the Yanks had won a team regular season record of 114 games. The Bronx Bombers were 11-2 in the 1998 post-season play, finishing it off with a 4-0 sweep of the San Diego Padres in the WS. Finally, I have high hopes that the Sox will represent the AL in the WS in 2011for the following reasons: Carl Crawford Will Improve The Team Batting Average Will Vastly Improve We have Adrian Gonzalez in the lineup Josh Beckett looks like he is back Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz are superb young, top of the rotation starters. The back-end of our bullpen: Jenks/Bard/ Papelbon Leadership of veterans: Pedroia/Youkilis/Varitek/Ortiz Superb Management Team: Francona/Epstein
    Posted by 2004Idiots

i definately agree that it is not too late for the sox, but if you wake up one morning and they are 5-20, it would be over. my point being that there is a point where this strange losing can't be dismissed; and that point is not that far away. May 1st should be a moment to exhale or be very disturbed. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The line between hope and optimism is thin.

The true fan should retain hope but a realistic fan might stop short of embracing optimism.

For what it's worth, the 1998 New York Yankees lost their first three games but were 7-4 after their first 11 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1998-schedule-scores.shtml

The 1996 Red Sox opened at 2-12 but recovered for an 85-77 record and a third-place finish in the AL East. I would not be surprised if the 2011 Red Sox made a similar recovery but fell short of the postseason.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1996-schedule-scores.shtml

The 1996 Red Sox were never closer than six games back of the division leader after the slow start.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

REAKS OF DESPERATION!

Moreover, I hope the Sox can replicate the success of the 1998 New York Yankees. The 1998 Yankees opened 0-3 and then bounced back with a vengeance to win the 1998 World Series. This was Manager Joe Torre’s second of four WS championships with the Yankees and the first of three titles in a row for the Yanks.

Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada were in their fourth season as Yankee teammates in 1998.

When you have to look up to (Figuratively and Literally) the YANKEES for Hope and Inspiration...BOY OH BOY.

You're better of just rooting for the NYY at this point. They may not be perfect, but you seem to love them? The transition could be seemless.

And the Boston Braves? 97 years ago? AND THE METS!!!?? Man, it's tough in RSN these days...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Re: Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.:
    REAKS OF DESPERATION! Moreover, I hope the Sox can replicate the success of the 1998 New York Yankees. The 1998 Yankees opened 0-3 and then bounced back with a vengeance to win the 1998 World Series. This was Manager Joe Torre’s second of four WS championships with the Yankees and the first of three titles in a row for the Yanks. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada were in their fourth season as Yankee teammates in 1998. When you have to look up to (Figuratively and Literally) the YANKEES for Hope and Inspiration...BOY OH BOY. You're better of just rooting for the NYY at this point. They may not be perfect, but you seem to love them? The transition could be seemless. And the Boston Braves? 97 years ago? AND THE METS!!!?? Man, it's tough in RSN these days...
    Posted by kirbyrob

He signed up today, and this is his only post.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series. : This a loser thread; throw it in the trash where it belongs. Pure rubbish!
    Posted by fireballer.58

Then maybe you shouldnt post on threads that are optomistic. Go to one of the "fire francona" or another "gloom and doom" thread, youll should fit in nicely there..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to Don’t lose hope; this team will still reach the World Series.:
    You can look at the past and evaluate it any way you want. I tend to look at it in a positive light. For instance, of the 18 division winners the last three seasons, only six were in first place a month into the season. In fact, The Mets were in first place on May 1 last year. And they didn't exactly ride that fast start to October glory. Sure the Sox were picked by just about everyone to win the American League East and then take the AL pennant. Many of these “experts” said the Sox should win the 2011 World Series. And some of those same prognosticators are now predicting gloom and doom. But we know better; we know it is only April and there is a long way to go. Remember that the best teams, including pennant winners, sometimes have slumps of three, four and even five-game losing streaks during a season. And we can look back in comfort at our cousins, the 1914 Boston Braves; they started 0-3 and made one of the most famous recoveries in MLB history. They came to be known as “The Miracle Braves.” Not only did the 1914 Boston Braves open their season by losing two games to the Brooklyn Dodgers and one to the Philadelphia Phillies before winning a game, they were dead last in the eight-team National League on July 18 when they were five games beyond the halfway mark of the season. The Braves were 11 games behind the first place New York Giants on that date before starting the “miracle” comeback. Led by Rabbit Maranville at shortstop and Johnny Evers at second base, the Braves took the NL pennant with 94 victories and then swept those same Philadelphia Athletics in the 1914 World Series, 4-0. Moreover, I hope the Sox can replicate the success of the 1998 New York Yankees. The 1998 Yankees opened 0-3 and then bounced back with a vengeance to win the 1998 World Series. This was Manager Joe Torre’s second of four WS championships with the Yankees and the first of three titles in a row for the Yanks. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada were in their fourth season as Yankee teammates in 1998. These three were part of the driving force that turned that rather poor 1998 opening completely around as the Yanks won their fourth game that season, lost their fifth and then went on a tear by winning eight in a row and 24 of their next 26 games. When it was all over the Yanks had won a team regular season record of 114 games. The Bronx Bombers were 11-2 in the 1998 post-season play, finishing it off with a 4-0 sweep of the San Diego Padres in the WS. Finally, I have high hopes that the Sox will represent the AL in the WS in 2011for the following reasons: Carl Crawford Will Improve The Team Batting Average Will Vastly Improve We have Adrian Gonzalez in the lineup Josh Beckett looks like he is back Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz are superb young, top of the rotation starters. The back-end of our bullpen: Jenks/Bard/ Papelbon Leadership of veterans: Pedroia/Youkilis/Varitek/Ortiz Superb Management Team: Francona/Epstein
    Posted by 2004Idiots

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I'm not worried at all.....they will turn this around.
    Posted by sday4x4

Agreed. no doubt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer.58. Show fireballer.58's posts

Charlie agrees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

I agree that this team will turn things around.  They have too much talent to continue to be this bad.  My question is will it be too late by the time they do?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

I like your optimism!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ..Babe.... Show ..Babe...'s posts

Right now this team doesn't look like it could reach the Little League World Series.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WinningTigerBlood. Show WinningTigerBlood's posts

If they get there, they will be the ones doing this:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Carl Crawford cant do any worse so he logically will imrove. Batting .200 woould be an improvement.

Gonzo is batting .268 with 1HR,  not exactly what i thought we'd see at 10 games in. Imsure he'll get better but he was portrayed as a 40-50hr guy. Lets see. 

Josh Beckett had one terrible game and one excellent game and youre saying hes back?

We have Dice K, Lackey in the starting roation almost a guaranteed 6 runs given up each time. I dont see this team getting to the playoffs let alone the WS. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am thankful for the handful of optmisitic threads.  If I have to read another overblown freak out attack, I am going to eat my pink hat and rose colored glasses.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE ONLY WAY THIS TEAM GETS TO THE WS IS BY BUYING
    GROUP TICKETS AT STUB HUB. THERE ARE JUST NOT ENOUGH
    BATS TO SUPPORT PAPI AND AGON. AND WE ARE NOT
    EXACTLY THE PHILLIES PITCHING STAFF. 2-9 IS JUST A
    REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF WHAT THE SUMMER WILL BRING.
    WE WILL BE ABOUT 32 -46 BY THE TIME JULY 4 ROLLS AROUND.
    THEN, MAYBE...SOMEONE IN THE FRONT OFFICE WILL BE
    SOUNDING ALARMS. MEANWHILE THE APOLOGISTS LAUD THE
    JOB THEO IS DOING AND LACKEY WILL GIVE UP 6 RUNS A
    GAME, DICE WILL BE DOING THE SAME, AND ELLSBURY AND
    VARITEK WILL PLOD ALONG BATTING .200, WHILE SALTY
    WILL BE BENCHED. WHAT CAN THE OWNERS BE THINKING
    AT THIS POINT ? LAST YEAR, WE SHOULD HAVE HIRED
    SHOWALTER AND SENT THEO AND FRANCONA TO THE
    UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mos_cutter. Show Mos_cutter's posts

This team couldn't reach the Little League World Series.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

I'll never lose hope!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

Don't hold your breath!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Don't hold your breath!
    Posted by fireballer5.8
    Back from yet another banning. You just can't take a hint can you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

That's not very neighborly in the land of Mr. Rogers. 

Sections
Shortcuts