Don Buddin? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Don Buddin? Really?

I just heard on BBTN that Salty's salami tonight was the first by a Red Sox player against NY in the 7th inning or later since Don Buddin in 1959.   Talk about a blast from the past (pun intended).  The only thing I'd remembered about Buddin was his penchant for booting balls.  Cool stat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Don Buddin? Really?

In response to joel49's comment:

I just heard on BBTN that Salty's salami tonight was the first by a Red Sox player against NY in the 7th inning or later since Don Buddin in 1959.   Talk about a blast from the past (pun intended).  The only thing I'd remembered about Buddin was his penchant for booting balls.  Cool stat.

Joel, wasn't Buddin sort of the poster child for Red Sox ineptitude?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

number 24 i think, plus he couldnt hit a lick

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QI remember Buddin as the most booed ever in my Sawks lifetime.UOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Even I dont remember him. Born in 53, so dont feel so old today. Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I saw him hit 2 homers in one game (once)    That boy had "some pop in that bat" ........  Was he related to Pinky Higgens ???  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Don't feel old, but have been a Sox ultimate fan in Mich, Colo, and Fla since the days of Teddy. He truly would do his thing better than any athlete did their thing at the time. Believe it or not, I have seen many Sox games, but only saw them in Fenway ONCE. However, next Sat, I will see them in Fenway on my b'day (76). Unfortunately, first game I saw was a lost of 1-0 by Hurst in '69 I think. Those of you who are so lucky to see this team all the time have no idea how a total fanatic at person from Michigan can be. In the 4th grade, I would race to the paper and check the box score to see how Teddy did. In Detroit, he was the closest thing to an icon as an opposing player. It still gives me goose bumps.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Don't feel old, but have been a Sox ultimate fan in Mich, Colo, and Fla since the days of Teddy. He truly would do his thing better than any athlete did their thing at the time. Believe it or not, I have seen many Sox games, but only saw them in Fenway ONCE. However, next Sat, I will see them in Fenway on my b'day (76). Unfortunately, first game I saw was a lost of 1-0 by Hurst in '69 I think. Those of you who are so lucky to see this team all the time have no idea how a total fanatic at person from Michigan can be. In the 4th grade, I would race to the paper and check the box score to see how Teddy did. In Detroit, he was the closest thing to an icon as an opposing player. It still gives me goose bumps.

I enjoyed your post, enjoy your B-Day....and Happy Birthday!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Joel; good to see you show up occasionally here.  I pulled out my old yearbooks ('55 through 58) and Don Buddin showed up in the '58 as in the military service, and he's in the '56 yearbook. He took over for Billy Klaus and Ted Lepcio. We were struggling for shortstops in those days: Pumpsie Green, Billy Consolo, Milt Bolling, etc.  BTW a reserved grandstand ticket stub fell out of my '57 book; $1.90 !  Did you see my fairly recent post on my conversation with Mudcat Grant?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Joel,

I was still a 3 year old in Darjeeling, India at this time ... ha!   I couldn't say ANYTHING I remember about Buddin - or baseball - at the time.  I did know what a cricket bat was though ....

So kudos you know anything about Buddin and kudos to Salty!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

Don Buddin who I watched play, was not all that bad.  Yes, he was prone to making errors.  He could go to his left and he could go to his right, but had trouble with routine ground balls hit right to him.  He was a better hitter than what most people gave him credit for.

But what ruined his career was not only the thrashing the media layed on him almost immediately upon his arrival, but the most outlandish treatment by the Fenway flock that to this day has not been matched.  The fans would boo him relentlessly before he got half way from the dugout to the plate.  On one occassion it was so overwhelming that he took his postion at the plate, dug into the batter's box and literally stood there and wept.  Believe me when I tell you that no Sox player in my lifetime has ever been treated so harshly, so viciously, or so unmercifully.

This treatment has been documented by many in the media, as well as many of his former teammates, as having had a profound negative impact on his playing ability. 

Playing in the minors with other notable shortstops such as Luis Aparicio, Buddin was considered a true rising star.  But Pinky Higgins, the then manager of the Sox, witnessing how the fans were on Buddin from the git-go, handled the situation poorly.  Instead of leaving the rookie on the bench for home games, and playing him in away games until Buddin could get his feet under him, Higgins sent him out daily to the wolves. 

Buddin was haunted his whole career by this treatment.

Having personally met Don in 1959, I can tell you he was a very decent human being, and a nice guy of the first order.  So to Don who passed away in 2011, you are remembered fondly by at least one fan.  RIP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Yes, rojas, he certainly was.  Think Dick Stuart at SS (but without the power).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Enjoy your b-day at Fenway, Bob.  Bring home a rout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to piersall's comment:

Joel; good to see you show up occasionally here.  I pulled out my old yearbooks ('55 through 58) and Don Buddin showed up in the '58 as in the military service, and he's in the '56 yearbook. He took over for Billy Klaus and Ted Lepcio. We were struggling for shortstops in those days: Pumpsie Green, Billy Consolo, Milt Bolling, etc.  BTW a reserved grandstand ticket stub fell out of my '57 book; $1.90 !  Did you see my fairly recent post on my conversation with Mudcat Grant?

How's it going, Piersall?  Didn't see your post.  Give me the link, please.  You should join us for the in game chats.  Let me know if you want to and I'll send you the link. 

Cool that you found that stub.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Joel,

I was still a 3 year old in Darjeeling, India at this time ... ha!   I couldn't say ANYTHING I remember about Buddin - or baseball - at the time.  I did know what a cricket bat was though ....

So kudos you know anything about Buddin and kudos to Salty!

Yaz, Buddin is sort of a legend among the older crowd here.  How's your cricket game these days?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Don Buddin who I watched play, was not all that bad.  Yes, he was prone to making errors.  He could go to his left and he could go to his right, but had trouble with routine ground balls hit right to him.  He was a better hitter than what most people gave him credit for.

But what ruined his career was not only the thrashing the media layed on him almost immediately upon his arrival, but the most outlandish treatment by the Fenway flock that to this day has not been matched.  The fans would boo him relentlessly before he got half way from the dugout to the plate.  On one occassion it was so overwhelming that he took his postion at the plate, dug into the batter's box and literally stood there and wept.  Believe me when I tell you that no Sox player in my lifetime has ever been treated so harshly, so viciously, or so unmercifully.

This treatment has been documented by many in the media, as well as many of his former teammates, as having had a profound negative impact on his playing ability. 

Playing in the minors with other notable shortstops such as Luis Aparicio, Buddin was considered a true rising star.  But Pinky Higgins, the then manager of the Sox, witnessing how the fans were on Buddin from the git-go, handled the situation poorly.  Instead of leaving the rookie on the bench for home games, and playing him in away games until Buddin could get his feet under him, Higgins sent him out daily to the wolves. 

Buddin was haunted his whole career by this treatment.

Having personally met Don in 1959, I can tell you he was a very decent human being, and a nice guy of the first order.  So to Don who passed away in 2011, you are remembered fondly by at least one fan.  RIP.

Thanks for this great post, cover.   He is remembered fondly by this fan, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I saw him hit 2 homers in one game (once)    That boy had "some pop in that bat" ........  Was he related to Pinky Higgens ???  

Buddin was Higgins' son-in-law, Bill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

On a tangential note, a friend of mine is Eddie Bressoud's nephew.  Bressoud, of course, took over at short following Buddin's tenure there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

First glove was a Don Buddin model and I also played SS in LL. He was my favorite RS player in those days.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Did BBTN really make such a ridiculous and stupid statement as that?

Napoli hit a grand slam aginst the Yankees in the seventh inning LAST FRIDAY!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to piersall's comment:

How's it going, Piersall?  Didn't see your post.  Give me the link, please.  You should join us for the in game chats.  Let me know if you want to and I'll send you the link. 

Cool that you found that stub.

Going good Joel; thanks.  Check "Teddy and Mudcat". 8/30/2013

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

First glove was a Don Buddin model and I also played SS in LL. He was my favorite RS player in those days.

That was my first glove, too, Jim!  Hard for me to pick my favorite player, though.   Loved Williams, of course, as well as Frank Malzone, Pete Runnels, Sammy White, Bill Monbouquette and Earl Wilson (remember his no-no in which he homered?).   And of course, Pumpsie Green for obvious reasons. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Did BBTN really make such a ridiculous and stupid statement as that?

Napoli hit a grand slam aginst the Yankees in the seventh inning LAST FRIDAY!!

Right you are, notin!  Their collective memories are apparently as bad as mine.  I can't believe I didn't catch that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

That was my first glove, too, Jim!  Hard for me to pick my favorite player, though.   Loved Williams, of course, as well as Frank Malzone, Pete Runnels, Sammy White, Bill Monbouquette and Earl Wilson (remember his no-no in which he homered?).   And of course, Pumpsie Green for obvious reasons. 

Joel; I got three autographs as a kid: Tom Brewer, Frank Sullivan, and Sammy White. Still got em.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I was there. It went out to the left of the cf flag if it went to the right it would have been the second to leave the park there.

Sections
Shortcuts