Don Zimmer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Don Zimmer

I see at least one Ray Player is paying tribute to Don Zimmer who is recovering from heart surgery.  Zim coached here for several years in the late 70's.  I don't think you would find one person who played for him who would say a bad word.

Here is hoping Zim makes a full recovery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Don Zimmer

In response to steven11's comment:

I see at least one Ray Player is paying tribute to Don Zimmer who is recovering from heart surgery.  Zim coached here for several years in the late 70's.  I don't think you would find one person who played for him who would say a bad word.

Me too. But none of us get off the planet alive. He was a good player and a good coach and I wish him well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

has bill lee finally stopped

best wishes zim

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Can't deny his dedication to BB.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

B I N G O DAT  !!!!       I wonder if Bill Lee has reached out to him ???

I forget the whole Bill Lee thing.  But I would bet he gives Zim a call

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Steve Lyons just tweeted that Don Zimmer has passed.  Rest in Peace Don.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

RIP...another icon gone..

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

RIP...another icon gone..

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

It is going to be a big funeral. Some great pictures of Zim with Ted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

RIP Don.  A baseball man through and through.  We may debate the Pedro/Zim  dustup to eternity, but there ain't many 60 something coaches gonna jump in the fray in a melee like that.  Stand up guy ... oh and the whole Buffalohead thing, sorry about that Zim - different times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Remembering Zim is like remembering two different people, the skinny 2nd baseman for the Dodgers on those great Dodger teams and the Zim we have all become accustomed to in recent years.

The Pedro incident aside a mark on an otherwise great career and he did win 90 or more games for the Sox the three years he managed.

He was great for the game and inspired young players, he played with Pee Wee Reece and Jackie Robinson

I could never dislike the guy, now that he's passed on I'm saddened by his loss.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

RIP Don.  A baseball man through and through.  We may debate the Pedro/Zim  dustup to eternity, but there ain't many 60 something coaches gonna jump in the fray in a melee like that.  Stand up guy ... oh and the whole Buffalohead thing, sorry about that Zim - different times.

Breaking my silence on this very sad news. RIP Zim. A great baseball man and mind who will be sorely missed.

No worries, Space. I'm sure all was forgiven long ago. Zim didn't seem like one to hold grudges.

As for me... back to the shadow of my self-imposed exile.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Nice post, those old time coaches were the first one's out of the dugout when a fight broke out.  Pedro had just pointed to his head when looking at the Ray dug out, so he was the logical one to go for. Bad timing by Pedro to talk about Zim this week in a negative manner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

If anyone can find a video of Gary Allenson impersonating Zim, it is priceless.  Thanks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nice post, those old time coaches were the first one's out of the dugout when a fight broke out.  Pedro had just pointed to his head when looking at the Ray dug out, so he was the logical one to go for. Bad timing by Pedro to talk about Zim this week in a negative manner.

First of all, it was against the Yankees. Secondly, Pedro directed the pointing to his head, toward  Posada. Zimmer misinterpreted it was toward him, which is what cause him to come out of the dugout. As far as the timing, Pedro was in Boston for the 2004, 10 year anniversary, and was asked about the incident by the media, during interviews. That said, I hope out of respect going forward, Pedro will decline to speak of it again, asked or not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Most of you probably know this, but it was ZIM getting beaned and his skull fractured that made batting helmets  mandatory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Breaking my silence on this very sad news. RIP Zim. A great baseball man and mind who will be sorely missed.

No worries, Space. I'm sure all was forgiven long ago. Zim didn't seem like one to hold grudges.

As for me... back to the shadow of my self-imposed exile.

Hey antibody~

Good to see you!  I'm glad you're checking in once in a while.  This place has become a better place since mod1 and mod2 have taken over.  I hope you come back.

I think of you and keep you in my prayers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

RIP Mr. Zimmer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Zimmer was on about a dozen or so teams, who IMO would have been a big star if it wasn't for the serious head injury; his stint on the NYY made Torre look good, whose in-game managing was overrated; Torre's strength was handling prima donna players and the media; without Zimmer, the NYY would not have dominated in the early Torre era.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

RIP Mr. Zimmer

I agree. I hope they bury him in his red sox game shirt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

First of all, it was against the Yankees. Secondly, Pedro directed the pointing to his head, toward  Posada. Zimmer misinterpreted it was toward him, which is what cause him to come out of the dugout. As far as the timing, Pedro was in Boston for the 2004, 10 year anniversary, and was asked about the incident by the media, during interviews. That said, I hope out of respect going forward, Pedro will decline to speak of it again, asked or not.

I had just watched the video before posting, sorry about the slip.  The Ray player with Zim's name on his back stands out when writing about him.

Watching the video I noticed Ortiz watched the incident and it looks like David was heading over to help Don.  A few Yankee must have got there first and David headed the other way.

Not to beat the subject but Pedro used too much force to throw Don down.  Pedro should have stepped aside like the batters did when he went head hunting with 95 mph fastballs.

Sections
Shortcuts