Done with Big Contracts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Done with Big Contracts?

I firmly believe BOS will be done with signing players to big, lengthy contracts, it really has not worked out and has flat out not worked out since what, 2002? Cherry just unloaded 3 players with huge contracts, anyone who thinks we are going to go out and spend 15mil a year each on 3 different players for 7+ years is flat out crazy.

These big contracts have got to be done away with. Pujols, though a great player and possibly worth every cent, for NOW, will not be worth it 5 years from now, only half of his contract, and in baseball the money is all but guranteed, unlike football. Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Done with Big Contracts?

ellsbury will get signed now.  That will be a big contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Done with Big Contracts?:
    [QUOTE]ellsbury will get signed now.  That will be a big contract.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]No he won't. He's next up on the trading block.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Done with Big Contracts?:
    [QUOTE]I firmly believe BOS will be done with signing players to big, lengthy contracts, it really has not worked out and has flat out not worked out since what, 2002? Cherry just unloaded 3 players with huge contracts, anyone who thinks we are going to go out and spend 15mil a year each on 3 different players for 7+ years is flat out crazy. These big contracts have got to be done away with. Pujols, though a great player and possibly worth every cent, for NOW, will not be worth it 5 years from now, only half of his contract, and in baseball the money is all but guranteed, unlike football. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]I certainly hope so. I say nothing longer than 3 years for any FA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think this is money freed up to keep Ellsbury.  They are going to need some offense.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Done with big contract?  Did Boston signed Manny, Damon, Mueller, Millar, Dice K, Oritz, Okajima, etc who all helped the team to win 2004 and 2007 world series titles?

Really Ben knew this team is too lefty which that is why they got (hopefully) rid of Prunto, Crawford and Agonz.

Time to balance the offense line up.  That is why Boston should go after Hamilton and Napoli along with to resign Ross.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Done with Big Contracts? : I certainly hope so. I say nothing longer than 3 years for any FA.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Id double that and go six max. I still want boston to attract the big free agents that fit in (key word). Although only going to six they'd probably have to offer more per season but im fine with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I think the Sox will be more cautious about signing guys who fit in, instead of Crawford types.
    That doesn't mean there won't be free agent signings. It's still a way to fill holes, that the farm system doesn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Sox will be more cautious about signing guys who fit in, instead of Crawford types. That doesn't mean there won't be free agent signings. It's still a way to fill holes, that the farm system doesn't.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]But shorter term I think. The contracts that cripple you are the 5+ year deals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Right. Some of these deals that were signed in MLB last winter, brought players into their late 30's or in Pujols case, into his 40's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I think they just need to sign the RIGHT players. Like I think signing A Gon was a good choice, and still would of been. They need to STAY AWAY from players with a history of injury issues and players that are use to playing in small markets. When it comes to finding pitchers they should avoid players from the NL west because they are most likely a product of big ball parks and weak lineups. Like they shouldn't go after Zach Greinke, they shouldn't go after Josh Hamilton.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mauibrew. Show mauibrew's posts

[QUOTE]ellsbury will get signed now.  That will be a big contract.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

No way in heck the Sox sign Ellsbury to a big contract. The guy has palyed one season in 3. He ahs 1 hr 11 rbi and is hitting under 300. After the crawford fiasco no way. Ellsbury can test the waters but he will not be getting any thing more than 3/30....  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mauibrew. Show mauibrew's posts

[QUOTE]I firmly believe BOS will be done with signing players to big, lengthy contracts, it really has not worked out and has flat out not worked out since what, 2002? Cherry just unloaded 3 players with huge contracts, anyone who thinks we are going to go out and spend 15mil a year each on 3 different players for 7+ years is flat out crazy. These big contracts have got to be done away with. Pujols, though a great player and possibly worth every cent, for NOW, will not be worth it 5 years from now, only half of his contract, and in baseball the money is all but guranteed, unlike football. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

Long term deals never work out... Manny was as good as it gets as far as producing for the money...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Done with Big Contracts? : No way in heck the Sox sign Ellsbury to a big contract. The guy has palyed one season in 3. He ahs 1 hr 11 rbi and is hitting under 300. After the crawford fiasco no way. Ellsbury can test the waters but he will not be getting any thing more than 3/30....  
    Posted by mauibrew[/QUOTE]

He's getting at least a 6 year deal

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

6 what?

$54M/6?

$72M/6?

I doubt anyone offers more than $80/6 unless he has a big 2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

When did Boston become a small market team?  oh wait, highest ticket prices in baseball, 2nd highest TV income, gabillions in merchandise sales, every seat sold.
    Expect a minimum of $150MM payroll.  Less than that will not justify the prices they charge. they are a big market team.  unless they plan on lowering beer prices to $3 and tickets to 1970's pricing.  how loud will you scream if NYY sign hamilton and we dont even make a play?  or whatever stud SP is on the market?  the days of the Boston Red Sox taking a flyer on some kids for opening day roster is long gone.
    as for ells, satan will sign him to whatever team offers the most $$$.  Satan will not take a penny less.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]Done with big contract?  Did Boston signed Manny, Damon, Mueller, Millar, Dice K, Oritz, Okajima, etc who all helped the team to win 2004 and 2007 world series titles? Really Ben knew this team is too lefty which that is why they got (hopefully) rid of Prunto, Crawford and Agonz. Time to balance the offense line up.  That is why Boston should go after Hamilton and Napoli along with to resign Ross.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Problem with this logic:  The Sox have a winning record facing lefties this season.  They are dismal against ANY RH pitcher; they make aces out of struggling rookies and marginal starters in the midst of a bad run.

Why dump salary unless you want to allocate it somewhere else?  Especially when the talent you are getting back for your 3 all-stars are marginal?  A young pitcher with promise and an injury history (gee they have one of those...his name is Ranaudo).  Possibly another really young pitcher who is not doing too well at A+ level (they have several of those), a youngish infielder who is immediately below Ciriaco, Iglesias, Bogaerts and Marrero on the depth and talent chart, along with an outfielder whose talent and age place him below Kalish, Bradley, Linares, Brentz and Jacobs, at least. Bad baseball business.

Let the Dodgers have Beckett if he has been claimed.  His 10/5 rights do not overrule that claim, if I understand it correctly, since it is not a trade.  But trade Agon and Crawford, if you must, when more teams can offer better talent in the off-season.  This team is not winning anything this year, regardless, so waiting does not hurt anyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]Thats a BINGO !!!!   It will be refreshing
    to watch HUNGRY players come up thru the system and also get back to some old fashioned horse trading !!!!   Holding my breath till this deal becomes official !!!!    Go Ben C. & Red $ox too !!!!

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts