Don't Be a Coward, Go On the Record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Don't Be a Coward, Go On the Record

In response to echochamberbuster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How much do you want the Red Sox to offer Ellsbury?

A. I want the Red Sox to pay whatever it takes to keep him from another team

B. Up to about 100 million guaranteed

C. Up to about 150 million guaranteed

D. CBA QO Only

E. I'm glad he's finally gone and don't ever want him back (This answer assumed only a CBA QO but allows the surveyed responder to voice his desire that since Ellsbury will reject the QO it makes the responder gratified that Ellsbury will finally be gone)

F. I love the guy but would not offer more than 90 million guaranteed to bring him back

I'll start.

My choice is E

What's your choice. 

Please, no spamming or DNC narratives, go on the record for one of the choices or stay off this thread. Thank you.

Current Survey results.......

A. 2

B. 5

C. 0

D. 1

E. 1

F. 2

So far, 9-2, Red Sox fans appear to be on board with capping the Ellsbury offers at about 100 million guranteed or less. That might bring him back, as his agent is out of touch on his market value. I hope there's an Inepstein or Cherry out there who will offer 100 million plus to play for another team other than the Red Sox. He'd be a great fit for the Cubs or the Mets or any team in MLB except the Red Sox. Ellsbury's work record isn't impressive, and it will get worse, I just hope that other GM's can't wait to guarantee him over 100 million for his thirties.

(Note for Red Sox Management: I know you read this board and regularly read Softlaw's comments. I can't speak for Softlaw, but wanted to provide this survey to give you a guage of Red Sox fans, from this site, on how much they want you to spend to try and keep Ellsbury. So far, assuming his market value is a dubious 100 million plus guaranteed, it's quite clear that the Red Sox fans on this site do not want you to go Crawford on this player)

Thread Notes:

Those who vote for the overwhelming popular Choice B will regret it and deny they ever picked that choice. Guaranteeing 100 million to Ellsbury would be a quite foolish way to spend that money over the next half a decade.  

[/QUOTE]

Are Sox going to get a boat load of more 100Mil players to gather up and then ship to LA? .Haven't we been there already and done that already...? Put our hand in the fire again and hope that another team can take our 100mil players from us . We were all happy how things turned out ...Now we want to go back to our old ways again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Really like Ells as a player, they say he likes Boston but I doubt he likes Boston the way Pedey does, i.e. no hometown discount, and Boras in the picture.  $100 million tops.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How much do you want the Red Sox to offer Ellsbury?

B. Up to about 100 million guaranteed

C. Up to about 150 million guaranteed

D. CBA QO Only

E. I'm glad he's finally gone and don't ever want him back (This answer assumed only a CBA QO but allows the surveyed responder to voice his desire that since Ellsbury will reject the QO it makes the responder gratified that Ellsbury will finally be gone)

F. I love the guy but would not offer more than 90 million guaranteed to bring him back

I'll start.

My choice is E

What's your choice. 

Please, no spamming or DNC narratives, go on the record for one of the choices or stay off this thread. Thank you.

Current Survey results.......

A. 2

B. 5

C. 0

D. 1

E. 1

F. 2

So far, 9-2, Red Sox fans appear to be on board with capping the Ellsbury offers at about 100 million guranteed or less. That might bring him back, as his agent is out of touch on his market value. I hope there's an Inepstein or Cherry out there who will offer 100 million plus to play for another team other than the Red Sox. He'd be a great fit for the Cubs or the Mets or any team in MLB except the Red Sox. Ellsbury's work record isn't impressive, and it will get worse, I just hope that other GM's can't wait to guarantee him over 100 million for his thirties.

(Note for Red Sox Management: I know you read this board and regularly read Softlaw's comments. I can't speak for Softlaw, but wanted to provide this survey to give you a guage of Red Sox fans, from this site, on how much they want you to spend to try and keep Ellsbury. So far, assuming his market value is a dubious 100 million plus guaranteed, it's quite clear that the Red Sox fans on this site do not want you to go Crawford on this player)

Thread Notes:

Those who vote for the overwhelming popular Choice B will regret it and deny they ever picked that choice. Guaranteeing 100 million to Ellsbury would be a quite foolish way to spend that money over the next half a decade.  

[/QUOTE]

Are Sox going to get a boat load of more 100Mil players to gather up and then ship to LA? .Haven't we been there already and done that already...? Put our hand in the fire again and hope that another team can take our 100mil players from us . We were all happy how things turned out ...Now we want to go back to our old ways again.

[/QUOTE]

Im sorry, but just because the Sox had some FA duds that LA took off our hands it doesnt mean the Sox, who are one of baseball's richest teams, should never buy a premier FA again. It doesnt make all FAs worthless.  It makes being a rich team pointless.

Not to mention one of those FAs to LA (Gonzalez) was likely worth his money. And Lackey just might have gone a long way towards justifying his contract over the last months.

That said, I vote F because I dont see a 10 HR, 50 SB fragile (sorry!!) OF worth $20mm+. I just dont.  Plug a 40 HR guy in the #5 spot or sign a King Felix SP and now we are in the 20+ neighborhood, not for a prettier Kenny Lofton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Softbrain gets an F for this thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

G. I want him back but would not go above $66M/4 or $80M/5.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I wouldn't offer him $100 million. 4 years at $64 million. He won't take it. I think it best we move on.

(edit) Ha! I just read the post by moon and see we are of same mind here. That has to hurt moon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I say Option G, which is where we let Ellsbuey walk to another team at their ridiculously overpriced deal, and then trade Bradely for him.   And then we extend Stephen Drew long term...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

$17M x 6

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

nut, O is alot cheaper than 100 million, over the next 5 or 6 years. Red Sox fans will not ever embrace and dote over Bradley, but that shouldn't matter in what is an important business decision. 

Bradley will hit for slightly more pop and slugging/ OPS, will catch more bloop "scored singles", and will have an OBP about the same as Ellsbury or higher. Bradley will average about 10 to 15 steals a year over the next 6 years, while Ellsbury will average about 30 to 35 steals over the next 6 years. Bradley will average about 140 games started and finished over the next 6 years, Ellsbury will average about 125 games started and finished over the next 6 years.

This assumes that the Red Sox or another team decides to make Bradley the starting CF'er over those 6 years, which would be a smart move on the value and fit front.   

Pretty easy call, Hfx;)

[/QUOTE]

Remember when you used to pretend you weren't a troll?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I appreciate Ellsbury's contributions to the Red Sox but I'm ready for the Bradley Jr. era to begin.

[/QUOTE]

Great player and part of 2 WSC.  But the only way we can keep ahead of the bad guys is to continue to develop the farm.  And almost every time you have a good prospect to replace a position player that is a free agent, it is almost impossible to imagine not doing so.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts