Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching depth they can find

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching d...

We all knew that it was time for Wakefield to retire

Patently false! There were only a few posters who campaigned to end Wastefield's welfare contracts! One poster campaigned to offer Wastefield a million bucks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching d...

In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching depth they can find:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching depth they can find : Bravo to you big guy.  Kill two turds with one bone.  We don't need Wakefield back because he is excess refuse whose time was up two years ago.  As for that other guy, four more years of that bum would be  too hateful to contemplate.  Nice going Hank. We don't need Wakefield.  If he was so da@n good he would have been offered a contract by some other team.  It wasn't forthcoming.  If all the crappy teams passed on him why would a team like ours, one that's supposed to be one of the better ones, take a chance on this over the hill bum?
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]On target as always Fred. Wake has suffered from lack of ability for sometime now. I watch a lot of games but avoided the discomfort of games he was scheduled to pitch. Those games I would wait and tune in when I thought he would be done and pray the Sox could recover from his poor outing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching depth they can find:
    [QUOTE]wakefield retired because NO ONE wanted him danny...get real...my comments are like kisses compared to what his own team did to him...and others...remember, there is no crying in baseball... also can we retire wake a week or two before calling for his return....like he's that essential to our success....dumb
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, but what did "his own team do to him"??

Please explain this one...this should get fun.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]We all knew that it was time for Wakefield to retire Patently false! There were only a few posters who campaigned to end Wastefield's welfare contracts! One poster campaigned to offer Wastefield a million bucks!
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

What are you going to do without Wake and Tek to abuse? Ellsbury made you look stupid so you got off him. Lowrie's in Houston. Crawford will bounce back so you will get off him too. What is a jerk like you to do? You have to pray someone you dislike has a bad year. Sad isnt it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

geo I believe is referring to being offered a minor league contract as a non-roster invitee, I think that's what he means by that line. But again, I go back to my original thought on this ignorant thread. Wakefield is retired, and he helped the team win 2 WS titles whether all of you want to believe it or not. He was instrumental in so many seasons where his big start stopped a losing streak or his pen work helped save a depleted pen. Bottom line is the lack of respect this great individual and solid knuckleball pitcher is given by the forum board is exactly why as Nomar said, "That's why no one wants to come to the Boston.com Board anymore!!!"....Too many ignorant threads and too many wisecracking idiot comments about both Wakefield and Varitek, who were both instrumental in the Sox greatest years since the early 1900s. If you can't acknowledge that Wakefield and Varitek helped the team in their many years of service, then all of you prove your stupidity has no limits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Nomar gets a bad rap on this board too, for his final season as a Sox. For all the times you guys think Shaughnessy is a negative writer, keep in mind that you only seem to remember great Sox players in their worst hours as Sox. Fine if that's how you want to remember them by. I'll remember Nomar as the guy who never once jogged down a first base line on a groundball--raced to the bag as if it was life and death.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If we were going to Coax an Ex Red Sox pitcher out of retirement for depth, we would be better off working on Pedro than Wake......but let's just stay calm and wait till ST is over and for now let them enjoy their retirement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]geo I believe is referring to being offered a minor league contract as a non-roster invitee, I think that's what he means by that line.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny, so that is perceived as Wake being treated unfairly?? What was the alternative...ignoring him altogether? By offering him a minor league deal they at least said come on in and see if you can win a job.

I don't see that is being treated badly AT ALL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Nomar gets a bad rap on this board too, for his final season as a Sox. For all the times you guys think Shaughnessy is a negative writer, keep in mind that you only seem to remember great Sox players in their worst hours as Sox. Fine if that's how you want to remember them by. I'll remember Nomar as the guy who never once jogged down a first base line on a groundball--raced to the bag as if it was life and death.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Regarding Nomar, yes it was admirable that he hustled out every grounder...did he also do that for all his pop-ups as well?? He had plenty of those at the end of his Sox tenure.

In any event, quitting on the team burns the goodwill bridge to the ground...so players like Nomie and Manny become dirtbags rather than icons...

...hey they put that upon themselves by becoming whining crybabies...in Nomar's case it was because the Sox pursued the best player in the game at that time...and for Manny, his whining was due tot he fact that the Sox would not automatically pick up his $20 million team option!

Sorry dan, these guys dug their own graves!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ellsbury last 2 year production makes you look stupid, zit.

Crawford is here to stay, Ellsbury is not. Crawford can't do any worse than his pathetic minor league production for LF in 2011, which is a good thing. But he's never producing anything but a yearly loss at 20M a season!!!!!!!!!!

Lowrie isn't the elite MLB SS that one poster claimed, but he will be having panic attacks on another payroll, which is good.

I'm excited about this year, because VAritek and Wastefield won't be a freak show of old washed up men. The team will be more exciting, on that basis alone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury last 2 year production makes you look stupid, zit. Crawford is here to stay, Ellsbury is not. Crawford can't do any worse than his pathetic minor league production for LF in 2011, which is a good thing. But he's never producing anything but a yearly loss at 20M a season!!!!!!!!!! Lowrie isn't the elite MLB SS that one poster claimed, but he will be having panic attacks on another payroll, which is good. I'm excited about this year, because VAritek and Wastefield won't be a freak show of old washed up men. The team will be more exciting, on that basis alone.

lol...you are counting Ellsburys injured season. Now if you count his last 2 full seasons, his numbers are very good. So typical of you and your trollish ways

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if they coax Wakefield out of retirement, looks like they're going to need all the starting pitching depth they can find : lol...you are counting Ellsburys injured season. Now if you count his last 2 full seasons, his numbers are very good. So typical of you and your trollish ways
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

2010 is the most critical of ellsbury's years stat-wise for Hanky.  he can't just disregard it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

2008 did not fulfill the hype
    2009 was better, but did not fulfill the hype
    2010 he quit
    2011 AGon as added and his career season is proclaimed "that's who he is"
    2012 nearly 10 million cost
    2013 at least 10 million cost
    2014 guaranteed to be on another team's payroll

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]2008 did not fulfill the hype 2009 was better, but did not fulfill the hype 2010 he quit 2011 AGon as added and his career season is proclaimed "that's who he is" 2012 nearly 10 million cost 2013 at least 10 million cost 2014 guaranteed to be on another team's payroll

2008 very good 1st full season
    2009 better than very good season
    2010 injured (broken ribs) limited to 18 games
    2011 mvp type season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

AGon had an MVP type of season. Take away Ellsbury and Pedroia and you still have AGon. Take away AGon and Pedroia and you have the guy you will see is overvalued and reminds me of Carl Crawford, except worse.