Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..

Many of you think Yankees don't need another aged big name only to hit in their lineup.  It' very true.  However, Yankees might be willing to sign Oritz and platoon with ARod time to time against lefties.  What about Jesus Montero?? I see him getting traded to another team.  He's the best trade bait for Yankees' most need right now.  A top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.  Everyone knows Yankees are drooling over King Felix.  If Yanks build a nice package around Montero and ask for Felix, Powerless Mariners might be biting if Yanks throw in a major league ready SP.  Matt Cain is another candidate, Dan Haren, Gio Gonzalez.  With Montero gone, Papi might be their regular DH and share time with Arod when he needs rest time to time.  Yanks might sign Papi to simply take him away from the Sox. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..

And if that happens the RS move on and watch the log jam at DH and how happy papi is when he is platooned and pinch hit for. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..:
    [QUOTE]Many of you think Yankees don't need another aged big name only to hit in their lineup.  It' very true.  However, Yankees might be willing to sign Oritz and platoon with ARod time to time against lefties.  What about Jesus Montero?? I see him getting traded to another team.  He's the best trade bait for Yankees' most need right now.  A top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.  Everyone knows Yankees are drooling over King Felix.  If Yanks build a nice package around Montero and ask for Felix, Powerless Mariners might be biting if Yanks throw in a major league ready SP.  Matt Cain is another candidate, Dan Haren, Gio Gonzalez.  With Montero gone, Papi might be their regular DH and share time with Arod when he needs rest time to time.  Yanks might sign Papi to simply take him away from the Sox. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I'd be shocked, but stranger things have happened.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I HOPE THAT THEY DO .....  36 GOING ON 42 !!!!     TIME TO CUT THE CORD !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..:
    [QUOTE]Many of you think Yankees don't need another aged big name only to hit in their lineup.  It' very true.  However, Yankees might be willing to sign Oritz and platoon with ARod time to time against lefties.  What about Jesus Montero?? I see him getting traded to another team.  He's the best trade bait for Yankees' most need right now.  A top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.  Everyone knows Yankees are drooling over King Felix.  If Yanks build a nice package around Montero and ask for Felix, Powerless Mariners might be biting if Yanks throw in a major league ready SP.  Matt Cain is another candidate, Dan Haren, Gio Gonzalez.  With Montero gone, Papi might be their regular DH and share time with Arod when he needs rest time to time.  Yanks might sign Papi to simply take him away from the Sox. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Sean - I agree with you on the Yanks dangling Montero, but there is no way they look to add another aged superstar onto a roster which they are so deperately trying to get younger. Papi will look for too much money and too many years. I think the Yanks are satisfied with giving Nunez additional playing time when A-Rod or Jeter need to be rested and moved into the DH slot.

If Papi doesn't sign with Boston, I expect he will go out west like Frank Thomas did a number of years ago. Of course, if Baltimore doesn't sign Vladi, he just might wind up with the Orioles. But he is not going to NY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Very doubtful.       I could see Ortiz going back to Minnesota but he'd have to sign on the cheap.    No AL team will give him a better deal than the Sox will (IF) they decide to sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yankees will not get him!!   Yankees have way too many possible players that may DH next year.  Montero, A-Rod, Jeter, possible Posada (if he accept low contract to be a bench player), Texeria, etc.   

Boston have the control over Papi on how much he is worth now cuz no one want Papi.  Look at Thome, Damon, and Vlad.  All of them are now just getting one year contract by playing different team by year to year.  Papi is now going to be joining their club!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't think Yankees are going to sign him either.  Teams like Blue Jays, Indians, O's, A's or even Angels have better chance of signing Ortiz if he hits FA. 

I'm just throwing this thread out because you know what Yankees are capable of and willing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..:
    [QUOTE]Yankees will not get him!!   Yankees have way too many possible players that may DH next year.  Montero, A-Rod, Jeter, possible Posada (if he accept low contract to be a bench player), Texeria, etc.    Boston have the control over Papi on how much he is worth now cuz no one want Papi.  Look at Thome, Damon, and Vlad.  All of them are now just getting one year contract by playing different team by year to year.  Papi is now going to be joining their club!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I think Montero is likely to be dealt this offseason for a top starting pitcher even if Yanks sign CJ or Darvish.  Posada is not coming back for sure and Tex doesn't need to be DHing.  It's going to be ARod and Jeter platooning DH spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If I were to handicap the Papi sweepstakes assuming he won't or doesn't sign with the Sox

1) Mariners (need a DH) he'd be a good fit in the middle of their lineup.

2) Toronto...slot him in front or behind Joey Bats...

3) Kansas City...

4) Oakland (Matsui?)

5) Baltimore (Vlad?)

Longshots would include the Rays (Damon?) and the Angels (Morales)...I doubt the Yanks have even a passing interest...which is too bad for Papi and his agent...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

After his comments offer 1 Yr 10 mil. Take it or leave

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: Don't be surprised if Yankees really sign Papi..:
    [QUOTE]If I were to handicap the Papi sweepstakes assuming he won't or doesn't sign with the Sox 1) Mariners (need a DH) he'd be a good fit in the middle of their lineup. 2) Toronto...slot him in front or behind Joey Bats... 3) Kansas City... 4) Oakland (Matsui?) 5) Baltimore (Vlad?) Longshots would include the Rays (Damon?) and the Angels (Morales)...I doubt the Yanks have even a passing interest...which is too bad for Papi and his agent...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE] Of all the free agents out there Ortiz would be the very last one the jays would ever consider.They traded gonzalez,marcum and vet relievers for escobar,rasmus and lawrie.Young,athletic types with upside potential.A near 40 expensive slow moving sloth ?Not a chance.They tried that route once with frank thomas and after a couple of months ran thomas and the GM out of town.Repeat that mistake agin?Doubtful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Papi is slow.   One tool player, although a legendary one.  He can still hit ... but maybe it is better if he walks.

News flash:  Yanks already kill the ball, they need PITCHING.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

I would be very surprised if the Yankees go after Ortiz. It would be shocking if a 36 year old will go to a team where he is known as "the kid."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I hope they do - for 3 years at 45 mil...and then they have a glut at DH, and then all those DH's start whining, brawling, or hassling Girardi for playing time and rbi calls....that would be awesome...

buh-buh Papi!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I will be more surprised if the Sox offer more than a 1 yr deal if that. Don't get me wrong. When big Papi was big Papi, it was great. His heroics will never be forgotten. And me dismissing him has got nothing to do with his comments, but more to do with he can't field, can't run, complains too much at the plate and to/in clubhouse. He does not even hustle down first base. The big Papi show may have run its course in Boston. Time to look at players who can DH but also spell other players. Just the facts.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Montero was told by the Yankees not to play winter ball this year because he is on tap to be the Yankee DH.  No way the Yankees even look at Ortiz.  I would believe Toronto or Baltimore would consider him...and at a long shot - TB.