Don't blame the ump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Re: Don't blame the ump

It seems that umpires, with their large egos, want be the stars of the show. Instead of diffusing a situation, they seem to take pleasure in goading managers/players to the point of ejection, even when they've blown a play. Isn't it easier to walk away?

Life is what happens while were busy making other plans.

John lennon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

While I agree the ump was out of position and made the wrong call, which he admitted, I don't agree it would have been an easy call if he had been in the right position.  It was a very close call as the video replays showed repeatedly.  I think we make way too much of this call in view of what else happened in that game--

1.  We were lucky to be in at all because Price was headed for 9 innings and 1 run (which itself was incredibly lucky).    Our guys were helpless until that thunderstorm forced Maddon to get a new pitcher on the mound in the 8th. 

2. We were incredibly lucky Doubront didn't give up more than 2 runs with all those hits and walks in just 5 innings.  He got some perfectly timed double plays. 

3.  The replay of Drew's double in the 8th shows that only a complete idiot couldn't score from second.  As the right fielder was running back to get a ball over his head, Nava was going toward second base when he had every reason to be cheating in the direction of 3d base.  That bonehead play goes way, way beyond any mistake the umpire made. 

4. Farrell could have avoided the Nava problem by using Iglesias, whom he was saving for a later situation which never materialized.  Iglesias is not only much faster, but has a better feel for baserunning and would not, repeat not, have done what Nava did.  Let's not forget that Nava has also tripped going around third when speed was of the essence and was thrown out by about ten feet. 

5. The home plate ump was more forthright in admitting his error than Farrell was in not admitting his.  I am a huge Farrell fan, but believe strongly he sent the wrong guy out there.  Nava is too slow and shows little instinct for running the bases. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to xdrive's comment:

Bad calls happen in baseballs all the time, mental mistakes like Nava's are  unacceptable. Anyone can boot a ball or make a bad throw but having your head up your a z z like Nava did is what separates winners from losers.

Except the bad call was the result of a mental mistake by the ump; failure to get into proper position.  Taking 2 steps to his left would have been all that was required.

Can't depend on umps to bail out a players stupidity, you are asking for trouble when I do that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

It makes us sound whiny....this is on Daniel nava period.

I guess you weren't watching the same game that I was. Nava was clearly safe at the plate. the blueman clearly blew the call. he was out of position and didn't see nava's leg touch home before the catcher tagged him. you,me or anyone else that has played this game under the exact same curcumstances would have been just as livid as nava was. not to mention farrell who just about exploded. whiny? I think not. the bottom line is that we need total instant replay in all cases on very close plays. if they can review balls hitting the foul line or home runs that are questionable, why not a bang,bang play at the plate?

nuff said.

Wrong! Nava should have scored on the previous play without a Throw! He screwed the whole inning up the ump was wrong but it should never have come down to that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Nope.  I don't agree.  The rules of the game are the most important part.  There are only four people charged with enforcing those rules and they have an obligation to do the best they can.  In this case the umpire at the plate failed to do that by not getting into a position where he could see the play.

We can couldda - wouldda - shoudda all day about Nava, Farrell, and Iggy but at the end of the day Daniel Nava tagged home plate before Molina tagged him with the ball.  According to the rules that run should have counted but due to the ineptitude of the umpire it didn't.

If that sounds whiney, ok, but the way this race is shaping up that may be the blown call of the year when the last game is played and given the structure of the WC's in the playoffs that call could have a HUGE bearing on the playoffs. 

The players and fans deserve better than that.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

How do you ignore the fact that Nava failed to score from 2nd on a ball that hit the right field fence?? Should never have come down to ump making a bad call

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This wasn't Jerry Meals' first screwed-up rodeo,  either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGomyAGYJQ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to CTJake14's comment:

After having just watched the play for the first time, it's just ridiculous that Nava didn't score on that ball.  Even if Myers catches it, Nava coulda been all the way at 3rd and still gotten back to the bag at 2nd in time.  Very bad, and who knows what mighta happened at that point had he scored and now it's tied and a man on 2nd.  Diff situation then 2nd and 3rd, still needing the tying run.  It's just sad it happened since as John Henry said, it's a 2 game swing.

DING!!!! Someone who finally gets it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well, duh! We all know Nava screwed up. That's not in question.

What's our next discussion, that pumpkins are orange?

That in no way takes  away from Jerry Meals' horrible call and amateurish positioning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

While I agree the ump was out of position and made the wrong call, which he admitted, I don't agree it would have been an easy call if he had been in the right position.  It was a very close call as the video replays showed repeatedly.  I think we make way too much of this call in view of what else happened in that game--

1.  We were lucky to be in at all because Price was headed for 9 innings and 1 run (which itself was incredibly lucky).    Our guys were helpless until that thunderstorm forced Maddon to get a new pitcher on the mound in the 8th. 

2. We were incredibly lucky Doubront didn't give up more than 2 runs with all those hits and walks in just 5 innings.  He got some perfectly timed double plays. 

3.  The replay of Drew's double in the 8th shows that only a complete idiot couldn't score from second.  As the right fielder was running back to get a ball over his head, Nava was going toward second base when he had every reason to be cheating in the direction of 3d base.  That bonehead play goes way, way beyond any mistake the umpire made. 

4. Farrell could have avoided the Nava problem by using Iglesias, whom he was saving for a later situation which never materialized.  Iglesias is not only much faster, but has a better feel for baserunning and would not, repeat not, have done what Nava did.  Let's not forget that Nava has also tripped going around third when speed was of the essence and was thrown out by about ten feet. 

5. The home plate ump was more forthright in admitting his error than Farrell was in not admitting his.  I am a huge Farrell fan, but believe strongly he sent the wrong guy out there.  Nava is too slow and shows little instinct for running the bases. 

#3 exactly, don't whine about a bad call after a dumb play on your own part 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2013/07/the_nava_shuffl_1.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from triscon. Show triscon's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Bad calls happen in baseballs all the time, mental mistakes like Nava's are  unacceptable. Anyone can boot a ball or make a bad throw but having your head up your a z z like Nava did is what separates winners from losers.

The ump apologized. The ump should have got that right.

I don't remember him apologizing.  He just said he missed the call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

That in no way takes  away from Jerry Meals' horrible call and amateurish positioning.

Why not blame Nava then? He should have been in the dugout already, his mistake is inexcusable and it came before the bad call by meals

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The fact that he didnt score on Drew's double is on Nava. The fact that he didnt score on Snyder's fly ball is on the umpire. They are two separate issues. Dont say we're "whining" for stating the obvious. The umpire blew the call, and it very likely cost he Red Sox first place. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Why not blame Nava then? He should have been in the dugout already, his mistake is inexcusable and it came before the bad call by meals

I do place some blame on Nava. He misread the ball and clearly should have scored on Drew's double. What I disagree with is the notion that there's no need to blame the ump.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I do blame Nava. He screwed up. What I disagree with is the notion that there's no need to blame the ump.

i think exam summed it up pretty perfectly.

"The fact that he didnt score on Drew's double is on Nava. The fact that he didnt score on Snyder's fly ball is on the umpire. They are two separate issues."

Nava is to blame for one. The Umpire is to blame for the other. Ironically, They both made the same mistake of not being correctly positioned during each play. Go figure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

There's not much doubt that Nava screwed up, but so what?  All Nava had to to do score was to touch home plate before he was tagged.  Nowhere in the rule book does it say he has to do it without making a mistake first.  Nowhere does it say it has to be pretty.  All it says is that he has to touch the plate - which he did.

I lay this completely on the umpire for poor positioning. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Either way, I hope it tickes them off enough to light a competitive fire under these guys. Theyve been lethargic and sloppy ever since the break. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

There's not much doubt that Nava screwed up, but so what?  All Nava had to to do score was to touch home plate before he was tagged.  Nowhere in the rule book does it say he has to do it without making a mistake first.  Nowhere does it say it has to be pretty.  All it says is that he has to touch the plate - which he did.

Well said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

S5. this post is the closing argument of this thread.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It makes us sound whiny....this is on Daniel nava period.

Okay, but since the ump has already said he made a mistake, maybe you should contact him and tell him to take it back.

Sections
Shortcuts