Don't care about Ells bat.........but how will Sox replace his speed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Don't care about Ells bat.........but how will Sox replace his speed?

what can Ben do about the SB's?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Don't care about Ells bat.........but how will Sox replace his speed?

Who knows how many bags he will swipe this year? Bring in Rajai Davis and call it close enough.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Jacoby,looked like he was reluctant to run last year..... He, will be injured often ..... He will grow to hate  N Y too !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Davis my pick too...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yes it is going to be hard to replace his speed as well to replace him as a lead off hitter.  But Boston had no choice.  Boston isnt going to let Ellsbury to get 6 to 7 millions dollars more a year than the Boston is offering him.  His speed will not be around for that long anyway.  He will start to go on the decline in two plus years from now.

Ben C still have a lot of times to retool the line up.  Dont worry.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Jacoby,looked like he was reluctant to run last year..... He, will be injured often ..... He will grow to hate  N Y too !!!

Do you know anything about baseball?  He led the LEAGUE in stolen bases and was 4th in triples.  Pretty sure that's not being 'reluctant'.  And before you say 'you judge the game based on your eyes'....you're also the same guy that types in all caps so you can see it...so pretty sure nobody is going to trust your eyes.

Also.....why will he grow to hate NY??  The media?  The media here is just as bad if not worse.  The fans?  They are about as rabid as us.  The ballpark?  It's BEAUTIFUL and fits his offensive game PERFECTLY.  Playing CF?  He's a gold glove CR'r....pretty sure he'll be ok.  You really need to learn about this game before you post Willie.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ive been saying Davis as well.  Hes good enough to start regularily if JBJ falters.   I still think we have a good chance at Beltran or Kemp.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If JBJ plays regluarly throughout the season, I think he could steal 20-25 bases in a complete season.  Vic could do 15 and Pedey can do 20.  If you bring in healthy Kemp and put him in #3 just before Ortiz, Kemp could do 30+ easily.  IF that's the case, Sox can have 20, 15, 20, 30 from #9 to #3 batters.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

speed schmeed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

Do you know anything about baseball?  He led the LEAGUE in stolen bases and was 4th in triples.  Pretty sure that's not being 'reluctant'.  And before you say 'you judge the game based on your eyes'....you're also the same guy that types in all caps so you can see it...so pretty sure nobody is going to trust your eyes.

Also.....why will he grow to hate NY??  The media?  The media here is just as bad if not worse.  The fans?  They are about as rabid as us.  The ballpark?  It's BEAUTIFUL and fits his offensive game PERFECTLY.  Playing CF?  He's a gold glove CR'r....pretty sure he'll be ok.  You really need to learn about this game before you post Willie.....

He knows nothing about anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

If JBJ plays regluarly throughout the season, I think he could steal 20-25 bases in a complete season.  Vic could do 15 and Pedey can do 20.  If you bring in healthy Kemp and put him in #3 just before Ortiz, Kemp could do 30+ easily.  IF that's the case, Sox can have 20, 15, 20, 30 from #9 to #3 batters.  

I agree about Vic and Pedey but no way does JBJ steal that many bags.  Most he ever stole was 24 in A ball.....since then and playing against better catchers he has stolen a total of 9 bases.  He is not fast.....he's a smart runner...but he's not fast.  AS for Kemp....if we get him (which I HIGHLY doubt) there is NO WAY that he'll be asked to steal that many bases with the leg and muscle injuries he has dealt with all last season. 

I REALLY think one of the biggest question marks right now is not only who is playing center....but who is leading off?  I do not like Vic in that role as I think he's a perfect #2 or 3 hitter.....I want somebody who can not only get on base but turn a single into a double or can steal a bag and get the pitcher nervous up there.  That's what was so great about Ellsbury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I would like Davis in case JBJ falters or the Sox do not trust him to start the year...however, this rumor was posted a while ago: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/rajai_davis/

If that's the case, I do not know if he would want to come to a team that has a prospect that they hope can take over at some point during the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Get a centerfielder that hits alot of doubles.

Problem solved.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Good bat > good speed. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes he only stole 52 bases which was good enough to lead the league and a personal 2nd best.  I'm sure he will be even more reluctant to run next year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Jacoby's speed didn't help us win the WS, in fact he looked afraid to run at all in the PS so don't worry yourself over it.  JBJ is quick and has the same abilty at some point, Bogy will also get his share of SB's so I don't feel we need one 50SB guy. 

However I still don't feel JBJ is ready to produce Jacoby type numbers offensively.  He could still get packaged at some point if he struggles in ST over even sooner for a bigger bat. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Jacoby's speed didn't help us win the WS, in fact he looked afraid to run at all in the PS so don't worry yourself over it.  JBJ is quick and has the same abilty at some point, Bogy will also get his share of SB's so I don't feel we need one 50SB guy. 

However I still don't feel JBJ is ready to produce Jacoby type numbers offensively.  He could still get packaged at some point if he struggles in ST over even sooner for a bigger bat. 

I disagree with the notion that Ell's speed was a nonfactor in the post-season.  Yes, he did look reluctant to run.  But the mere threat when he is on base, much like the threat of having Papi in the middle of the lineup whether he is hitting or not, changes the complexion of a game.  Getting a battery spooked is a huge factor, especially in the post-season.

The Sox will miss that element, and no one can replace it.  Ellsbury is a once in a generation kind of speedster, a rare gem in that regard.

That being said, he is a plus centerfielder (though his range masks a serious lollipop arm) and an enigma of a hitter, and a big ? as to his ability to stay on the field.  I am very glad that the Sox brass did not go near 6 or 7 years at that kind of money on Ellsbury.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I disagree with the notion that Ell's speed was a nonfactor in the post-season.  Yes, he did look reluctant to run.  But the mere threat when he is on base, much like the threat of having Papi in the middle of the lineup whether he is hitting or not, changes the complexion of a game.  Getting a battery spooked is a huge factor, especially in the post-season.

The Sox will miss that element, and no one can replace it.  Ellsbury is a once in a generation kind of speedster, a rare gem in that regard.

That being said, he is a plus centerfielder (though his range masks a serious lollipop arm) and an enigma of a hitter, and a big ? as to his ability to stay on the field.  I am very glad that the Sox brass did not go near 6 or 7 years at that kind of money on Ellsbury.

The Yankees will take a beating on a 7 year Jacoby contract with a no trade clause trust me.  Jacoby (like Carl Crawford) would have been another disaster signing for the Sox on those terms.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to beantownesox's comment:

Davis has 91 steals in his last  2 seasons (250 games), including 45 steals in just 108 gams in 2013

Ellsbury has 66 steals in his last 2 seasons (208 games), including 52 steals in 134 games in 2013

Obviously, "once in a generation" and "rare gem" speedster doesn't rise to specious because it's patently false.

Davis is faster and has more base stealing ability than Ellsbury. 

I agree that Raja is a better base stealer.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

could possibly run more with the speed that remains on the roster...shouldn't affect the power any

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to beantownesox's comment:

Davis has 91 steals in his last  2 seasons (250 games), including 45 steals in just 108 gams in 2013

Ellsbury has 66 steals in his last 2 seasons (208 games), including 52 steals in 134 games in 2013

Obviously, "once in a generation" and "rare gem" speedster doesn't rise to specious because it's patently false.

Davis is faster and has more base stealing ability than Ellsbury. 

I agree that Raja is a better base stealer.

Ellsbury is a better base stealer. His lifetime success rate is 84% and Davis is at 80%. It's not just about how many.

Sections
Shortcuts