Don't care about Ells bat.........but how will Sox replace his speed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Don't care about Ells bat.........but how will Sox replace his speed?

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to beantownesox's comment:

The Sox will miss that element, and no one can replace it.  Ellsbury is a once in a generation kind of speedster, a rare gem in that regard.

Davis has 91 steals in his last  2 seasons (250 games), including 45 steals in just 108 gams in 2013

Ellsbury has 66 steals in his last 2 seasons (208 games), including 52 steals in 134 games in 2013

Obviously, "once in a generation" and "rare gem" speedster doesn't rise to specious because it's patently false.

Davis is faster and has more base stealing ability than Ellsbury. 

I agree that Raja is a better base stealer.

Ellsbury is a better base stealer. His lifetime success rate is 84% and Davis is at 80%. It's not just about how many.

Of course.  But, those numbers are pretty equal.  And, based purely on my own objective observation, I think Raja has better baserunning instincts and technique.  He gets better jumps and makes less mistakes.  Ellsbury's baserunning flaws get covered by his otherworldly speed.  He is faster than Davis so he gets away with more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Rajai Davis can steal bases, but can the Red Sox live with Steamer's projected on-base percentage of .305 for Davis (who has a career OBP of only .316)?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3708&position=OF

FWIW, I saw only five MLB games this season, but witnessed a homerun by Rajai Davis:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR201309170.shtml

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Davis averages the last 3 years....

OPS-.668 while playing in a hitters park.

bWAR-0.5 fWAR-0.3

And defensively he comes in only ahead of Choo and Kemp in CF and most don't think they are CF's.

Good base runner though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Jacoby,looked like he was reluctant to run last year.."

LOL as others pointed out, he led the league in stolen bases - heck not the league, all of MLB.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SB_leagues.shtml

Bill you have fallen for softy's Ellsbury rope-and-dope and re-imagined the player as different than who he is. 

He's not worth $150 million, unless you have Yankees type money. But he CAN and does steal bases.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Jacoby,looked like he was reluctant to run last year..... He, will be injured often ..... He will grow to hate  N Y too !!!

Bill, 

Pardon me but you're nuts. Ells did not look reluctant to steal last year. How you arrive at your conclusion is a mystery. Ells stole 53 bases last year so how was he reluctant. Were you watching the same player I was, probably not. And of course you know he'll be injured often, how is that ?? You've got a crystal ball. And why would he grow to hate NYC. 

As said, you're nuts. 

Hetch

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bill-806 you really embarrassed yourself this time, Elles looked "reluctant to run" ? Really now?

lol.

In fact...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

what can Ben do about the SB's?

Jacoby's speed didn't help us win the WS, in fact he looked afraid to run at all in the PS so don't worry yourself over it.  JBJ is quick and has the same abilty at some point, Bogy will also get his share of SB's so I don't feel we need one 50SB guy. 

owever I still don't feel JBJ is ready to produce Jacoby type numbers offensively.  He could still get packaged at some point if he struggles in ST over even sooner for a bigger bat. 

I disagree with the notion that Ell's speed was a nonfactor in the post-season.  Yes, he did look reluctant to run.  But the mere threat when he is on base, much like the threat of having Papi in the middle of the lineup whether he is hitting or not, changes the complexion of a game.  Getting a battery spooked is a huge factor, especially in the post-season.

The Sox will miss that element, and no one can replace it.  Ellsbury is a once in a generation kind of speedster, a rare gem in that regard.

That being said, he is a plus centerfielder (though his range masks a serious lollipop arm) and an enigma of a hitter, and a big ? as to his ability to stay on the field.  I am very glad that the Sox brass did not go near 6 or 7 years at that kind of money on Ellsbury.

The Yankees will take a beating on a 7 year Jacoby contract with a no trade clause trust me.  Jacoby (like Carl Crawford) would have been another disaster signing for the Sox on those terms.

Whether the Yankees take a beating on the contract remains to be seen in a number of years, not now. Ells may lose some speed with age but he can still remain a valuable player in NYC. Remember how many fans couldn't wait to ship Ortiz out of town only a few years ago, yet he just lead us to a World Series !!

Hetch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

speed schmeed

Slasher, 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or just posting a ridiculous comment. Speed is an added element that Victorino and Ells add to the lineup and if you fail to understand that you're in denial. Ells got too much from the Yankees which I cannot fault the RS from matching, but don't fool yourself into thinking that losing Ells won't hurt.

Hetch 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Davis has 91 steals in his last  2 seasons (250 games), including 45 steals in just 108 gams in 2013

Ellsbury has 66 steals in his last 2 seasons (208 games), including 52 steals in 134 games in 2013

Obviously, "once in a generation" and "rare gem" speedster doesn't rise to specious because it's patently false.

Davis is faster and has more base stealing ability than Ellsbury. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Raja is a better base stealer.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury is a better base stealer. His lifetime success rate is 84% and Davis is at 80%. It's not just about how many.

[/QUOTE]

Davis is a lifetime .260 hitter with a .317 OBP and .693 OPS. Ells is a lifetime .297 hitter with a .350 avg, .793 OPS. No comparison as hitters. Nuff said !!

Hetch 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

speed schmeed

Slasher, 

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or just posting a ridiculous comment. Speed is an added element that Victorino and Ells add to the lineup and if you fail to understand that you're in denial. Ells got too much from the Yankees which I cannot fault the RS from matching, but don't fool yourself into thinking that losing Ells won't hurt.

Hetch 

Hey Hetch.  more tongue-in-cheek than anything.  yes, absolutely his speed on the basepaths was a weapon.  that being said:

• we have won in the past without an everyday threat to steal bases
    • i think the yankees will put the reigns on him
    • until our CF situation is solidified it is still unknown how many stolen bases we lost
    • $23MM x 7 years is obscene.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

speed schmeed

Slasher, 

Hetch 

Hey Hetch.  more tongue-in-cheek than anything.  yes, absolutely his speed on the basepaths was a weapon.  that being said:

• until our CF situation is solidified it is still unknown how many stolen bases we lost

Not to mention that ellsbury was only part of the reason the Sox were the best base-stealing team in baseball last year.  Even without him, Victorino, Pedey, JBJ (if he is with the big club, or fill in whatever +speed CF ends up with the Sox ... Kemp?), the Sox are going to apply plenty of smart pressure again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

speed schmeed

Slasher, 

Hetch 

Hey Slash, 

I thought so but on BDC one never knows. Salaries in MLB in general are obscene and it only looks to get worse over time. How do the Sox and other teams continue to sell out I'll never know. I'm not rich and barely sqeezing by right now so how us everyday fans are suppose to afford to attend games, I'd love to know. I know prices to Brewers games here in Milwaukee have to be substantially lower than Fenway but still for the average worker one game with the family is a major expense. I've thought about quitting watching MLB because of the obscenity of greed in the sport and lack of regard for fans as far as affordability, but I've been watching baseball for over 50 years so it is hard to give up.

Hetch 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

per Keith Law..

Jesse (Los Angeles, CA.)

Trade Kemp, and bring up Pederson in June or July. Good move?

Klaw   (12:23 PM)

Trade Kemp for Trout? Good move. Trade Kemp for a bag of balls? Not a good move.

He seems to be high on Kemp...

Sections
Shortcuts