Don't Pinch Run For David Ortiz Unless you Absolutely Need to

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Don't Pinch Run For David Ortiz Unless you Absolutely Need to

We learned this many times with Jimy "Gump" Williams. Taking David Ortiz' bat out of the lineup for a pinch runner in a tie game is an unnecessary move. Yes he stole a base (he was out based on replays) but he didn't score, Ortiz would have batted in the 9th.

Jimy Williams used to do this countless times and a lot of times there would be a double play ball on the next play. 

And lastly, the Red Sox were not losing at the time. It was a tie game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Don't Pinch Run For David Ortiz Unless you Absolutely Need to

We "needed to", and Berry stole 2B. It's not John's fault nobody knocked him in.

Besides, if Papi came up in the 9th, he would have been walked.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I don't even need to look at the score.

I can tell the Sox lost by the number of inane threads you start.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Very concerning indeed.  9th inning - yes.  8th inning at home, yes........If we still had Manny in the line up - yes........but this move concerned me....granted Carp was waiting to PH but still......But I don't think this cost them the game......Pitching to Longoria - even if Longoria only hit a single it would had been 2 runs and got them back in the game. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

We "needed to", and Berry stole 2B. It's not John's fault nobody knocked him in.

Sox4ever

B I N G O  !!!!!!   PAPI had 1 hit and 3 walks last night, unless he starts with a double or better then he becomes a "clogger" of the base paths.....  Sorry if I offended anyone !!!   Just saying !!

[/QUOTE]

Hold on now - you had other options

You could had bunted Ortiz to 2b w/ no men out

I hope Naps has at least been practicing laying em down

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

We learned this many times with Jimy "Gump" Williams. Taking David Ortiz' bat out of the lineup for a pinch runner in a tie game is an unnecessary move. Yes he stole a base (he was out based on replays) but he didn't score, Ortiz would have batted in the 9th.

Jimy Williams used to do this countless times and a lot of times there would be a double play ball on the next play. 

Tuesday Morning quarterbacking.  If Berry steals second and scores on a single Farrell becomes a genius.  It was the right move at the right time, it just didn't work because the next hitters failed to drive him in.  That's hardly Farrell's fault. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It was a good game last night regardless of the outcome. Both starters were at about the same level as far as command goes. Both BP's did good. I dont think any one move defined the outcome of this game. Lobaton went down and dug one out of the dirt to knock it out. He got a hold of a very good pitch by Koji. I had no issue PR for Papi. Carp has been a 300 hitter PH'ing this year. Moon is 100% correct. They would have just walked Papi and we would have PR for him then.

There doesnt need to be blame for every loss. Sometimes the other team just gets a hold of one. It is what it is. Back at it tonight kids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

ADG, please do not use the pronoun "we" because you certainly do not speak for RSN.  Berry went in at exactly the right point in the game because after he stole 2B the Sox had three outs to get him home and take the lead.  Later when Berry was supposed to hit, Carp was available, which ain't as good as Ortiz but also ain't that bad a replacement.  Meanwhile, it should also be noted, the Sox lost because of the unforeseen collision near 2B on a routine grounder which became a hit and then later, after Bogaerts scored the tying run, when Uehara the invincible gave up a dinger with two out in the 9th. 

This was a good game for Farrell, but sometimes the bear gets you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I hope you are not saying that Jimmy Williams used to Pinch Run for Ortiz???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Papi was walked three times, and Longoria =  zero.  I should criticize the 5th innings move by Farrell than this 8th innings pinch running for Papi.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

And they needed to try a win the game and not worry about Ortiz next at bat When the chance was there you take it....... More so when your up two games. Play to win not another Ortiz chance to hit later. You would make a great manager.....for t-ball......lol lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This decision is a very minor one compared to pitching to Longoria.

Let me tell you how a monkey would be able to beat the Rays:

1)  Put 9 names in a hat, draw them and that's your line up

2)  Intentionally walk EL

3)  Repeat #2 in a loop until infinity

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

hahahaha
    truth be told.  this post literally made me chuckle.  good stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

hahahaha
    truth be told.  this post literally made me chuckle.  good stuff.

[/QUOTE]

lol cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Buch schooled Longo in his last AB. Froze him. Why not pitch to him? Good hindsight guysUndecided

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Buch schooled Longo in his last AB. Froze him. Why not pitch to him? Good hindsight guysUndecided

Let me explain something that I learned when I was 9 pitching in little league:

You may be able to get a strike on a good hitter with a certain pitch once

You may be able to do it twice

But never ever think you could get away with it again after that

I was NINE making NO MONEY - you can't keep going to the well against an All Star Hitter!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Tuesday Morning quarterbacking.  If Berry steals second and scores on a single Farrell becomes a genius.  It was the right move at the right time, it just didn't work because the next hitters failed to drive him in.  That's hardly Farrell's fault. 

This is true.....and to illustrate, Maddon looks like a Genius now, but if Lobaton had made out and the game went into extras for awhile, he would have looked ridiculous losing his DH....having no other postion players on the bench and no other Catcher....heck Koji should have drilled Lobaton and one of the Rays position players would have had to catch and a pitcher would have been in the OF!! Win the game and no one cares about the moves you made....lost it and everyone can be criticized in hind sight

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drilling him doesn't get him out the game.  But it does put the winning run on base.

If Koji got him out then everything Madden tried would had backfired....But he had nothing to lose at that point.

Terrible location but the game was ALREADY lost due to recklessness of Farrell......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pitching to Longoria in that situation was asinine. No excuse for it. This is not hindsight. It has been said many times that you cannot let Longoria beat you. Farrell and Buchholz ignored all common sense , and paid for it. Running for Ortiz was a gamble , but understandable. And there is no way that Maddon would have pitched to Ortiz in the 9th, so that was not a factor.

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Drilling him doesn't get him out the game.  But it does put the winning run on base.

If Koji got him out then everything Madden tried would had backfired....But he had nothing to lose at that point.

Terrible location but the game was ALREADY lost due to recklessness of Farrell......

I was being Facetious Andrew.....I ws just trying to point out that there was alot of Recklessness on Maddon's part also....but he won the game do he gets a pass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

I'm in the minority, but I agree with ADG- Papi stays in the lineup on the road. It wasn't a horrible move and I understand everyone's rationale, but Papi stays in the lineup. There's not way to tell that he'd be walked in the 9th (he could've come up with bases loaded) and Carp is no Papi.

As a side note, Berry was out by a mile. Sox caught a break.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

B I N G O  !!!!!!   PAPI had 1 hit and 3 walks last night, unless he starts with a double or better then he becomes a "clogger" of the base paths.....  Sorry if I offended anyone !!!   Just saying !!

Hold on now - you had other options

You could had bunted Ortiz to 2b w/ no men out

I hope Naps has at least been practicing laying em down

With Ortiz's Achilles and not exactly fleet when healthy, and Napoli somewhat hobbled by Plantars (and not exactly fleet when healty), a bunt probably would have been a DP, no matter how good the bunt was.

Sections
Shortcuts