Dont run on Salty!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Dont run on Salty!!!

This kid has thrown out like the last 8 of 18 runners..Throws out a runner with Wake on the mound...Not to mention his bat has come alive..IMO, Id have no problem with him taking over full time..Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Dont run on Salty!!!

I just looked and hes at a 30% CS rate..I  believe he was at only 17% last year..thats quite an improvement..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Dont run on Salty!!!:
    This kid has thrown out like the last 8 of 18 runners..Not to mention his bat has come alive..IMO, Id have no problem with him taking over full time..Thoughts?
    Posted by southpaw777

I think we are coming to the point of the season and Saltys development where Tel will be Becketts guy and Salty will catch the other 4 games....and I would have no issues with that.....he really has been fantastic, Look at his numbers since June 1st

GABRH2B3BHRRBI BB  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS
    Since June 1st371312638102723150.2900.3630.5570.920
    Over 150 games5311051544182893610.2900.3630.5570.920

Those are All Star numbers and the kind of numbers that the hype aroound him as a rookie anticipated. Kudos to Theo for sticking with this young man.

and as noted in this thread, he is now throwing out baserunners are a more than acceptable rate over 30% for the season and better than that lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Guys don't need to run on hime. Just need to wait on a PB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!!:
    Posted by Alibiike

Cheap shot.  Almost all are from catching Wakefield. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Only when they run against Wake Alibiike..But thats to be expected with a knuckler..
    I am more than happy with salty's progression, which I believe will get even better. I think we can ALL safely say that letting Vmart go and giving Salty the job, w/Vtek as his BU/mentor, was the right move..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : Cheap shot.  Almost all are from catching Wakefield. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

And conversely, gunning down a speedy runner by a country mile whilst catching a Wake flutterer, as he did last night, says everything you need to know about how far the kid has come defensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

And these are with Scutaro not giving him such a great target.  He is usually behind the bag and needs to stretch swipe for a tag.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by Alibiike

Nothing like unending negativity as a response to a totally positive thread.  Let's all go pizz on the nearest campfire!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

Only when they run against Wake Alibiike..But thats to be expected with a knuckler.. I am more than happy with salty's progression, which I believe will get even better. I think we can ALL safely say that letting Vmart go and giving Salty the job, w/Vtek as his BU/mentor, was the right move..
    Posted by southpaw777

hey southie,

speaking of 'right' moves. was signing crawford a right move in your opinion?

i believe it wasn't and his contract will never be justified.
    he's gonna be a hard player to like over the next 6+ years. he'll get some hits and then he'll do defensively what he did last night. he's gonna be an albatross.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : And conversely, gunning down a speedy runner by a country mile whilst catching a Wake flutterer, as he did last night, says everything you need to know about how far the kid has come defensively.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I like the way he's been squaring up the ball offensively, but you'll never convince me he is a good defensive catcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : I like the way he's been squaring up the ball offensively, but you'll never convince me he is a good defensive catcher.
    Posted by Alibiike

Well, of course, the verdict is still out.  There is not enough data to fully support my stance yet.  But, there is a trend.  And not only that, from my own game-to-game perspective, I am watching a young guy develop in front of my eyes defensively.  His mechanics on his throws to second look night and day from late-2010/Spring 2011 to now.  He is more compact, quicker, and is getting off better throws.  Also, though he occasionally muffs a ball by turning his mitt the wrong way or something, he has been making some real nice stops.  If he continues to do what he is doing (I actually expect that he will get better, given his by-all-reports strong work ethic, desire to learn, and Tek-tutelage), and you refuse to allow for his development, then thats on you.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A guy hits .250 as a part time Catcher and everyone thinks he is an allstar....typical red flops rubbish. 
    Posted by softybabe

Since no one said anything about all-star, and you are unwilling to allow for his obvious maturation over the course of the season, I submit that it is actually your post that is typical rubbish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : hey southie, speaking of 'right' moves. was signing crawford a right move in your opinion? i believe it wasn't and his contract will never be justified. he's gonna be a hard player to like over the next 6+ years. he'll get some hits and then he'll do defensively what he did last night. he's gonna be an albatross.
    Posted by -theyazzer-

If you want to talk about crawford, go start a thread about it. This thread is about salty and his progression. If you have nothing to say on the matter, then please go away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : hey southie, speaking of 'right' moves. was signing crawford a right move in your opinion? i believe it wasn't and his contract will never be justified. he's gonna be a hard player to like over the next 6+ years. he'll get some hits and then he'll do defensively what he did last night. he's gonna be an albatross.
    Posted by -theyazzer-

I will answer that fully when u start that thread..this is about Salty...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : If you want to talk about crawford, go start a thread about it. This thread is about salty and his progression. If you have nothing to say on the matter, then please go away.
    Posted by soxforlife22

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : If you want to talk about crawford, go start a thread about it. This thread is about salty and his progression. If you have nothing to say on the matter, then please go away.
    Posted by soxforlife22

hey soxfornolife,

"shaking the bush boss!
    what we've got here is a failure to communicate."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

He is doing EVERYTHING that the team and fans hope he would.  Good on Salty!  He worked his tail off more than we know.  Here's hoping he keeps getting better!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : Well, of course, the verdict is still out.  There is not enough data to fully support my stance yet.  But, there is a trend.  And not only that, from my own game-to-game perspective, I am watching a young guy develop in front of my eyes defensively.  His mechanics on his throws to second look night and day from late-2010/Spring 2011 to now.  He is more compact, quicker, and is getting off better throws.  Also, though he occasionally muffs a ball by turning his mitt the wrong way or something, he has been making some real nice stops.  If he continues to do what he is doing (I actually expect that he will get better, given his by-all-reports strong work ethic, desire to learn, and Tek-tutelage), and you refuse to allow for his development, then thats on you.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Point taken. He's not good at blocking balls, opting to back-hand instead of shifting too often. He is almost too big and clumsy to be a catcher, and would not be surprised to see him move to 1B at some point.
    Quick behind the plate he is not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Dont run on Salty!!! : Point taken. He's not good at blocking balls, opting to back-hand instead of shifting too often. He is almost too big and clumsy to be a catcher, and would not be surprised to see him move to 1B at some point. Quick behind the plate he is not.
    Posted by Alibiike

Agreed, he is a bit of a giant to be catching.  Doesn't exactly fit the mold ... but then again, neither did Ted Simmons.  I disagree about him ending up at 1B soon.  I think he is a bona fide catcher now.  Still with flaws, but his mechanics, both as a receiver and a thrower, are getting much more sound.  I think he can now be described as "deceptively quick" with his throws.  And I don't think the back-handing and like gaffes are happening with frequency anymore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Good interview by Gammons of Saltalamachia.http://www.nesn.com/2011/08/jarrod-saltalamacchia-keeps-improving-as-he-gets-more-comfortable-with-red-sox.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good story Phil...I think were all starting to realize this kids potential..Im not saying hes an all star right now, but its there. Most catchers dont really develop til around 25ish, so to expect what was expected from Salty at such a young age was unrealistic. Hes 26 now and has the proper coaching (Gary Tuck) and veteran leadership (Tek) that hes needed all along. He has a great work ethic and is constantly working to better his game. Im enjoying watching him develop into the catcher he can be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Salty won't throw anyone out tonight. Varitek is catching again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Dont run on Salty!!!:
    This kid has thrown out like the last 8 of 18 runners..Throws out a runner with Wake on the mound...Not to mention his bat has come alive..IMO, Id have no problem with him taking over full time..Thoughts?
    Posted by southpaw777

Salty has been a pleasant surprise in all areas.  I can't remember the last time a Sox fan had the luxury of watching runners thrown out?  Probably Pudge days

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Southy,

I am thrilled at his progression.  That uneasy feeling that one had to give over to trusting - or wanting to trust - Theo's faith in Salty is now completely removed by nothing but confidence in him AND HIS DEVELOPMENT!  He's doing quite well now, but seems to be getting better and better.  I see nothing but good to great days ahead with him.

I nearly freaked when he got hurt on the play at the plate last night ... thankfully it was only a minor thing.

Sections
Shortcuts