Don't trade Mids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Don't trade Mids

Mids had a great day yesterday with many more to come. Nap is a FA after this year. Mids could learn  to be a First baseman which leaves Iggy, Drew and Bogaerts on the left side
    Not too bad. For gosh sakes keep Gomes. For this team to be viable in 2014, Ells must be signed. Give him Crawford money. I know he is fragile, but a huge contract that may meet with bloodsucker Boras's approval needs to be done. That leaves one hole in the OF and that is a question mark. Kalish was the heir apparent, but cannot stay healthy. Maybe he can turn it around. By next spring either Hanrahan or Bailey will hopefully get it back. No trades IMO are needed unless theyare strictly cash deals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Don't trade Mids

Like I always say, the Red Sox FO is a lot more patient than message board posters are, fortunately.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middy was 6-25 before last night. Give him more time. Hanny and Drew wont be here next year. Ells doesnt deserve CC $$, and the Sox shouldnt go there.

The Sox/BC have proved capable of making, for the most part, the right choices.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I don't think Middlebrooks is going anywhere...except maybe first base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

WMB was brought up last year, out of necessity. He made the most of it and  crowned the future 3rd baseman. He may have been between AAA and MLB ready. Keep him in Pawtucket, until the break. Snyder is doing fine, if Drew is back as expected in a few day, Iggy can play third. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Because his stock has fallen, I would not trade Will Middlebrooks now. The Red Sox should take the chance that Middlebrooks will rebound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No need to rush Middy back but I still have the confidence I had last year that he will be our everyday SS.  If he keeps this up though I wouldn't hold him down to long...if he stays it I'd be looking to trade Drew and get himback up.  All things considered Middy should be our 3B on August 1st.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree, he should be our 3rd baseman august 1st, we should look to trade drew at the deadline, move iggy back to short, will plays 3rd. we should also try to deal dempster at the deadline. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As long as Snyder and Iggy are hitting, there's no rush on Middlebrooks. 

He's not going to get traded. Chances are he starts working on 1B skills, and Bogaerts takes over as our top 3B in-house candidate for 2014. (Something I suggested over a year ago.)

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I'm not inclined to give a guy too many chances. The possibility Middlebrooks' struggles were amplified by lingering wrist and the recent back issues is a factor. The fact he didn't make excuses (only now is he letting on) is also a plus. If he comes up in another three weeks and continues to hit poorly, I'd be worried. 

I don't think you hit .280 with power for most of a year and turn out to be a .215 hitter. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

No point in trading a player when his stock has fallen so hard, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Sox will work to get him on track, sluggers are at a premium in the new home run challenged MLB era. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Definitely don't trade him, but don't bring him up. The Sox are more than fine with Snyder and Iggy. And when Drew returns, they can send Diaz down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i agree, he should be our 3rd baseman august 1st, we should look to trade drew at the deadline, move iggy back to short, will plays 3rd. we should also try to deal dempster at the deadline. 

Why on earth would you trade Dempster?  We need solid starting pitching....he has been solid.  Is he an allstar??  No...but he's only been an allstarr twice.  He's exactly the pitcher we thought we were getting.  A great clubhouse presence who works quick, can get people out, eat innings and hover around a high 3 to low 4 ERA.  He's a VERY solid #4 pitcher for us......we need to keep him.  As for Drew....I'd keep him too.  WMB has done nothing this year while Drew has played excellent defense and has been coming around with the bat....albeit VERY streaky.  Having him at SS and Iggy at 3B gives us EXCELLENT defense in the infield and 2 solid contact hitters in the lineup.  Sure we may miss some power but that power was not exactly coming from WMB either....

I'm not giving up on WMB, however we need to continue to field the best hitters....once he can show that he is better than somebody we currently have CONSISTENTLY then bring him back up.....until then, let him work it out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

I'm not inclined to give a guy too many chances. The possibility Middlebrooks' struggles were amplified by lingering wrist and the recent back issues is a factor. The fact he didn't make excuses (only now is he letting on) is also a plus. If he comes up in another three weeks and continues to hit poorly, I'd be worried. 

I don't think you hit .280 with power for most of a year and turn out to be a .215 hitter. 

You do when MLB pitchers figure you out and adjust accordingling, then you're not able to make the proper adjustments yourself.

He took the wrong approach at the plate. He tried to crush everything instead of taking what they give him. I think hes realizing that now. I hope to see him back in Boston at 3b sometime this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Will Middlebrooks' 75 games in 2012 do not represent "most" of a 162-game season.

To break it down, Middlebrooks posted a .331/.368/.592/.960 line in 152 plate appearances over 40 games before the Kevin Youkilis trade and a .240/.276/.416/.692 line in 134 plate appearances over 35 games after the Youkilis trade.

Middlebrooks' weaknesses were exposed early on last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I remember the scouting on WMB last year before his promotion was a guy who will hit 20-25 HR's  with a good hit tool who will take littlewalks and strike out a ton.  A real .280/.330/.470 guy in his prime....not elite numbers but definitely above average.  He was obviously exposed after thepitchers adjusted to him and before that happened everyone's hopes of what he will become skyrocketed making his slump this year that much more of a crash.

I think it's safe to say now that he likely won't be the next Longoria but I sill think he has a really good chance of being that above average 3B who might even make an All star team or two in his late 20's.  He obviously needs more seasoning but he's close and it's very encouraging that Snyder is doing so well in the meantime.  My only question is by he time Middy is ready to come back Bogaerts is likely going to be ready and it's very likely he is a 3B at the MLB level so where does that leave Middlebrooks?  He could move to 1B but that's a waste of his athleticism as almost anyone can play first and the offensive bar is set higher there.  If Middlebrooks could come back and be that hitter I laid out at 1st I would by no means complain having that production at 1B and cost controlled for years.  But seeing how 1B are easier to find than 3Bman he might be more valuable to this team as a trading chip.

Im not saying I want him traded, ive alresdy stated i hope hes playing 3b by august but at this point I wouldn't complain if he was.  Although I would suspect it might be mre likely in the offseason but what do I know. 

Sections
Shortcuts