Don't you have to walk the bases loaded with the winning run on third??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Re: Don't you have to walk the bases loaded with the winning run on third??

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to joel49's comment:

[QUOTE]

And once you let the runner "walk into second base" after having set up the DP with the IBB, why then would you not again go for the IBB (or the "unintentional" IBB) to keep the DP in order, thereby letting your middle infielders move back?  Assuming the initial IBB is to set up the DP, you simply have to go for the IBB again to set up the same situation.  Total head scratcher.

That's not a safe assumption.  Encarnacion has an OPS of .907, 30 HR and 89 RBI.  Easily the Jays' best all-around hitter this year.  You walk him for the same reason you walk David Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

Of course.  But once he reached second, don't you then have to set up the DP again?  Doesn't that make more sense than having your infield in?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

YUP!

And once you let the runner "walk into second base" after having set up the DP with the IBB, why then would you not again go for the IBB (or the "unintentional" IBB) to keep the DP in order, thereby letting your middle infielders move back?  Assuming the initial IBB is to set up the DP, you simply have to go for the IBB again to set up the same situation.  Total head scratcher.

That's not a safe assumption.  Encarnacion has an OPS of .907, 30 HR and 89 RBI.  Easily the Jays' best all-around hitter this year.  You walk him for the same reason you walk David Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

Of course.  But once he reached second, don't you then have to set up the DP again?  Doesn't that make more sense than having your infield in?

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

It depends on the on deck circle.  with lawrie up and first base open..my guess is that Farrel wanted a K or popup from lawrie so that he could IBB the bases loaded and face arencebia (sp?) with 2 outs and defense in their "normal" spots.  the hanger killed the plan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The moment with 2 nd and 3 rd, one out Lawrie at the plate. Rookie pitching. It's time for my best pen guy--Ue to close the inning. That's the big moment of the game---it's more important than a save--you have the chance to close out the inning-Ue high 5 's the dugout and the Sox score next inning.

If they lose they lose but I like Ue and not a rookie in that situation--he had been warming. Now maybe JF wanted to see if Workman could get out of it. He gave you some tough grinding innings beginning in the 7 th--that was a lot to ask.

I agree. I think They had Workman throw one too many curveballs. Don't get me wrong, he has a great curveball, but these are professional hitters. Once they've seen it a few times the percentages work against you. That last curve just didn't seem to have the bite.

I think Lawrie set Workman (and Lavarnway) up with that pathetic swing for strike 2.  He wanted another breaking ball and he got it, and Workman hung it to boot.  I think if Workman throws a fast ball there, especially up in the zome, he strikes Lawrie out and we might not be having this conversation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No, not necessarily, because a) Lind has better numbers than Lawrie and b) with the base open Workman can pitch differently to Lawrie without having to worry about walking him.

There are a number of different factors, some for and some against.  I'm pretty sure Farrell considered them all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

It depends on the on deck circle.  with lawrie up and first base open..my guess is that Farrel wanted a K or popup from lawrie so that he could IBB the bases loaded and face arencebia (sp?) with 2 outs and defense in their "normal" spots.  the hanger killed the plan.

This is more or less what Farrell said his plan was.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I  hate walking the bases loaded in extra innings. A walk  wins the game. Sometimes you have no choice, but last night wasn't  one of those cases.

Problem was we left five runners base in the last two  innings.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.