Double Standard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Double Standard

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Have to give them an extended opportunity to succeed. I don't put any stock in the WAR stat, but just going by what I see , they have the needed skills and the right attitude. The talent is there. It is all about making the necessary adjustments. Give them a chance. Besides, what alternative do we have? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think, at this point, JBJ is a better all-around player than Bogaerts.  I can't tell you just how impressed I've been.

i think Bradley will get  better if he can cut down on his strikeouts, saw this stat on the home page...Jackie Bradley, Jr. leads the AL in the most strikeouts (31) for batters with no homers....imo, that stat will remain misleading irt his role in the lineup, i'd imagine that any pop he provides would be a bonus

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

It's right here on our forum.  Sox fans have begun to accept the twin notions that Bradley is inadequate because he can't hit and Bogaerts because he can't field.  Both notions are untrue if you believe in the only current stat, Wins Above Replacement (WAR) that attempts to measure the whole player. 

Right now, for example, Bogaerts has a WAR of .7, which ranks him the 5th best SS in the American League.  That's right, 5th best.  But that is not good enough for the carping critics.  FWIW, his defensive WAR is 0.0, which puts him at 7th best among AL SS's.

And we all know that the Yankees stole away the best CF in the history of MLB and left the poor Sox with a totally inadequate CF named Bradley.  But wait a minute.  Ellsbury's WAR is .8, which does rank him as the 4th best CF in the AL.  But Bradley's WAR is .5, good enough for 9th place.  Moreover, if you think "wins above replacement" means exactly that, so far Ellsbury's vast superiority has netted the Yankees .3 of a win net over the Sox stuck with Bradley.  How is this possible, you say?  Well it turns out that Bradley's defensive WAR is .4, which ranks him the 3d best defensive CF in the AL.  And Ellsbury?  His defensive WAR is -.3, which makes him the 10th best fielding CF in the AL. 

Is it worth mentioning that Bogaerts is a 21 year old rookie and likely to improve?  Of course not.  Andrewmitch, among many others, has assured us he is playing the wrong position and needs to be moved.    What about Bradley being a 24 year old rookie?  Also irrelevant.  He is what he is and will never hit. 

Yes Bradley  could be 34 and he still won't hit. Rather have a decent centerfielder with a good bat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Have to give them an extended opportunity to succeed. I don't put any stock in the WAR stat, but just going by what I see , they have the needed skills and the right attitude. The talent is there. It is all about making the necessary adjustments. Give them a chance. Besides, what alternative do we have? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think, at this point, JBJ is a better all-around player than Bogaerts.  I can't tell you just how impressed I've been.

What???? lol lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to Javi60's comment:

Both need to play, they are on the right track, but lets be fair the Ells vacum is and will be unfilled unless a good trade comes along... My gut feeling is that top brass has its eyes on 2015... That hurts... It shows  that winning culture is still way behind yanks and cards...dont argue pls that sox have won 3 out of ten... Great... But far way from Huggins, Mccarthy, stengel or torre...furthermore, sox bigest problem  are the Carps, Gomes, Wmb, Sizemore, Nava etc...with these players u win once, but to repeat never... The off season fiasco is the main cause of this non productive offense... With Nelson Cruz and Beltran it would be another story

Beltran has a .752 OPS and his fielding is awful.  At his price he would have been a terrible signing.

How aboutNelson Cruz, the last free agent to be signed...guess his doing. Much better than Carp or Gomes... Lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Not making excuses for JBJ but he is not being platooned so he's not facing just RH pitchers.

When he keeps his head down and eye on the ball he has great success driving the ball to L Center and Center.

Hitting and bunting takes disipline as we all know. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

i think Bradley will get  better if he can cut down on his strikeouts, saw this stat on the home page...Jackie Bradley, Jr. leads the AL in the most strikeouts (31) for batters with no homers....imo, that stat will remain misleading irt his role in the lineup, i'd imagine that any pop he provides would be a bonus

He takes a lot of pitches per play appearance like naps that will lead to more ks, just a quite a bit less homeruns.

Power isn't jbjs game anyways, it's defence and obp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

The ideal line up: a lead off man, pede, papi, cruz, another hitter, Napoli, salty, bogaerts,  jbj...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

It's right here on our forum.  Sox fans have begun to accept the twin notions that Bradley is inadequate because he can't hit and Bogaerts because he can't field.  Both notions are untrue if you believe in the only current stat, Wins Above Replacement (WAR) that attempts to measure the whole player. 

Right now, for example, Bogaerts has a WAR of .7, which ranks him the 5th best SS in the American League.  That's right, 5th best.  But that is not good enough for the carping critics.  FWIW, his defensive WAR is 0.0, which puts him at 7th best among AL SS's.

And we all know that the Yankees stole away the best CF in the history of MLB and left the poor Sox with a totally inadequate CF named Bradley.  But wait a minute.  Ellsbury's WAR is .8, which does rank him as the 4th best CF in the AL.  But Bradley's WAR is .5, good enough for 9th place.  Moreover, if you think "wins above replacement" means exactly that, so far Ellsbury's vast superiority has netted the Yankees .3 of a win net over the Sox stuck with Bradley.  How is this possible, you say?  Well it turns out that Bradley's defensive WAR is .4, which ranks him the 3d best defensive CF in the AL.  And Ellsbury?  His defensive WAR is -.3, which makes him the 10th best fielding CF in the AL. 

Is it worth mentioning that Bogaerts is a 21 year old rookie and likely to improve?  Of course not.  Andrewmitch, among many others, has assured us he is playing the wrong position and needs to be moved.    What about Bradley being a 24 year old rookie?  Also irrelevant.  He is what he is and will never hit. 

Yes Bradley  could be 34 and he still won't hit. Rather have a decent centerfielder with a good bat.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing all this stuff about small sample sizes where Bradley is concerned.  There is no longer a small sample size.  Combine his poor showing in his short time with the Sox last season, his disastrous lack of hitting in ST, and the current hole he currently finds himself in and that's a big enough sample size to tell me that this guy may never be a Major League hitter.  One odd thing about him is that until the last three games his hitting with RISP was very impressive, but his strikeout and batting average have sunk him down deep.  He needs to turn this around within this month because I don't care what a WAR he might have, if he cannot hit better than he has and cut down his strikeouts and learn to bunt properly, he may turn out to be a sunk cost.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Methinks you rely too much on WAR. I prefer a CF who can hit the baseball. Ellsbury ranks third in the AL in OPS for CFs; Bradley ranks 12th, .220 below Ellsbury. Bradley's OPS of .657 is simply not good enough, no matter what kind of defense he plays. He might improve his offensive production, but if he cannot, I would not want him as my regular CF. Love his defense, but overall, he is not good enough right now.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

You know what you can do with your WAR???? If Ells was last in defense ...Would you want him roaming center and leading off for Sox ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Nothing is hurting Sox more than Ells absence ... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How aboutNelson Cruz, the last free agent to be signed...guess his doing. Much better than Carp or Gomes... Lol

I think it goes without saying that at least one of the FAs will be a good signing 1/6th of the way through the season.  Picking out the best name after 6 weeks is not much of a value-added analysis.  It's kind of like saying we should've traded for Trout when he was in A-ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That's questionable because we've been getting plenty of guys on base.  Just not driving enough of them in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm getting a little tired of hearing all this stuff about small sample sizes where Bradley is concerned. There is no longer a small sample size.

Does anyone besides me know what Pedroia's OPS was over the same amount of ABs?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

That's questionable because we've been getting plenty of guys on base.  Just not driving enough of them in.

[object HTMLDivElement]

It wouldn't be right anyway.  The biggest difference between 13 and 14, at this point of the season, is Buchholz.  Last year, he was 6-0 with a 1.01, through 6 starts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm getting a little tired of hearing all this stuff about small sample sizes where Bradley is concerned. There is no longer a small sample size. Combine his poor showing in his short time with the Sox last season, his disastrous lack of hitting in ST, and the current hole he currently finds himself in and that's a big enough sample size to tell me that this guy may never be a Major League hitter. One odd thing about him is that until the last three games his hitting with RISP was very impressive, but his strikeout and batting average have sunk him down deep. He needs to turn this around within this month because I don't care what a WAR he might have, if he cannot hit better than he has and cut down his strikeouts and learn to bunt properly, he may turn out to be a sunk cost.

If you are going to count this year's ST against JBJ, then you should count his very good ST 2013 in his favor.

BTW, the sample size is still small.

He is still young and adjusting & learning.&

Remember a guy named Pedroia? He hit .191 with a .258 OBP and a .303 SLG in his first season (98 PAs), then he started off his second season hitting .180/.306/.230 (74 PAs). That's way below .200 after his first 172 PAs. He was probably still under .200 at the 200 PA mark.

JBJ has been yo-yo'd up and down between the minors and bigs much more than Pedey was. He has just over 190 PAs total.

I'm not trying to say JBJ is going to hit like Pedey, but give the kid some more time. This is his first longer than 100 PA look in the bigs. In fact, last year JBJ had these stints in the bigs:

April 1-17: 38 PAs

May29- June 5: 21 PAs

July 9-12: 7 PAS

Sept 7-29: 41 PAs

That's hard for many players to find a groove.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

thats just andrewmitch being andrewmitch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Max.  I think your post is apt and interesting....and re "double standard" I think you've presented and answered your own issue i.e. it's overall performance that (generally) matters and if one has a clue it's clear that those two and Midds have not been a major problem for the Sox.  I stated all winter that I was very uncomfortable with the defending champions putting 3B, SS, and CF in the hands of two infants and a teething toddler.  But unless one is a Batting Average Guy I don't see the crisis (nor an option even if I did).

If/when any of them begin to catastrophically fail or their marginal failure impacts their development by all means send them down.  But I don't think any of them are near that right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If you are going to count this year's ST against JBJ, then you should count his very good ST 2013 in his favor.

Sox4ever

Not to mention JBJ's Fantasy League team is off to a very strong start this year.

Sections
Shortcuts