Doubrant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Doubrant Blows

For years I read about how people thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, where are  those people nos?

Those same people  said Napoli blew. He may not be Ted Williams, but come  on!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Doubrant Blows

I dont remember a lot of people, or even a few thinking Doubie was the next best thing. They liked him, but I dont think anyone viewed him as a TOTR starter or a future CY Young winner.

And yes, Naps is tearing it up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

My guess is all these people who spent years praising Doubront are all still located in the region of your brain dedicated to figments of the imagination.   Doubront went through the Sox minor league system largely unheralded...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to notin's comment:

My guess is all these people who spent years praising Doubront are all still located in the region of your brain dedicated to figments of the imagination.   Doubront went through the Sox minor league system largely unheralded...

Had me laughing on this one , Notin. I want to see the linkage, actually put together the Doubront supporters with the Napoli haters. Doubie is still developing, the folks at baseballreference.com have two of his similars at the age of 24 as Bobby Ojeda and Clay Buchholz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"For years I read about how people thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread,"

would love to see you come up with at least one link to support your claim. 

HIs wikipedia page doesn't have a single word or link extolling his talent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9lix_Doubront

#fail (on your part)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Had me laughing on this one , Notin. I want to see the linkage, actually put together the Doubront supporters with the Napoli haters. Doubie is still developing, the folks at baseballreference.com have two of his similars at the age of 24 as Bobby Ojeda and Clay Buchholz.

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'm certainly not a respected media pundit, but am / was very optimistic regarding Doubront this spring. In one of the predictions threads I had him at 20 wins and Cy Young contention , based on expected leap forward which so far obviously hasn't occurred.

Last year at age 24 he won what, 11 games for a team with only 69 wins ?

Even wiith the loss of velocity, I say don't give up on him yet. Perhaps a rest and evaluation on the D.L. is in store.  I'd prefer Webster get more AAA development time, but oh well. Rubby still re-building arm strength and probably not an option before August.

Anybody want to see what local boy Terry Doyle has , up in the big leagues ?

Could always put Hassan or Bard on 60 day list to free a roster spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

I'm certainly not a respected media pundit, but am / was very optimistic regarding Doubront this spring. In one of the predictions threads I had him at 20 wins and Cy Young contention , based on expected leap forward which so far obviously hasn't occurred.

Even wiith the loss of velocity, I say don't give up on him yet. Perhaps a rest and evaluation on the D.L. is in store.  I'd prefer Webster get more AAA development time, but oh well. Rubby still re-building arm strength and probably not an option before August.

Doyles very high walk rate scares me in MLB. If he didnt have that, he might be an effective MLB pitcher. All his other stats are pretty good.

Rather give Webster a couple more go-arounds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the title of this thread did make me laugh...how this escaped the BDC Gestapo I dont know but kudos for that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Doyles very high walk rate scares me in MLB. If he didnt have that, he might be an effective MLB pitcher. All his other stats are pretty good.

South, 

Interesting observation about Doyle and his walk rate. I was going to give it to those who keep on harping on Doubrant. He's only in his second full year of MLB and still learning his craft. As I said in an other thread some players mature earlier, some later. As far as the walk rate a pretty decent pitcher by the name of Sandy Koufax was with the Dodgers for a number of years before he finally matured and early on his walk rate was pretty awful leading to a very high WHIP despite not allowing a lot of hits per inning. Once Koufax figured it out his walk rate decreased as well as his WHIP both went way down and he was "ONLY" 129-47 over his last six seasons. Not saying Douby will become Koufax but fans need to give the kid some room and time to improve.

To look at Koufax stats over his last four seasons is mind boggling. His last four years: 

97-27, 150 starts, 89 Complete games, 31 shut outs, 1192 innings, 829 hits, 259 BBs, 1.80era with a WHIP of about .90. Stats which probably are similar to Pedro is his best years.

Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Doubrant

In response to georom4's comment:

the title of this thread did make me laugh...how this escaped the BDC Gestapo I dont know but kudos for that!

Geo, 

The BDC censors make me laugh because of some the words they censor out. Some day they might figure out we respell words incorrectly "on porpoise of course" to get around the censorship. I'll probably be banned for life now. 

OH KRAP !!

Hetch 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

South, 

Interesting observation about Doyle and his walk rate. I was going to give it to those who keep on harping on Doubrant. He's only in his second full year of MLB and still learning his craft. As I said in an other thread some players mature earlier, some later. As far as the walk rate a pretty decent pitcher by the name of Sandy Koufax was with the Dodgers for a number of years before he finally matured and early on his walk rate was pretty awful leading to a very high WHIP despite not allowing a lot of hits per inning. Once Koufax figured it out his walk rate decreased as well as his WHIP both went way down and he was "ONLY" 129-47 over his last six seasons. Not saying Douby will become Koufax but fans need to give the kid some room and time to improve.

To look at Koufax stats over his last four seasons is mind boggling. His last four years: 

97-27, 150 starts, 89 Complete games, 31 shut outs, 1192 innings, 829 hits, 259 BBs, 1.80era with a WHIP of about .90. Stats which probably are similar to Pedro is his best years.

Hetch 

Hetch  

Hetch,

I have patients when it comes to LHP and control. What bothers me is this kid is given a golden opportunity to play baseball at the highest level and hasnt taken it seriously IMO. Now, maybe I dont have all the info, but I hardly think they are happy with him showing up out of shape 2 of the last 3 years. they were counting on him in 2011 and he dealt with injuries because of showing up out of shape and not taking his off season conditioning seriously. Now this year, after throwing the most IP in his pro career, he does it again. This past off season was critical for him to do the proper conditioning because of said workload. He looked like a tub of goo when he showed up and had shoulder issues. Now, one month into the season his arm speed is slower and his velocity is down by 4-5MPH.

If it was just the normal control thing, Id have no issue being patient. when he puts the team in a very tough position and has a direct effect on the team because he cant do what is necessary year round to be an MLB pitcher, then I have an issue with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

South, 

Hetch 

Hetch,

I have patients when it comes to LHP and control. What bothers me is this kid is given a golden opportunity to play baseball at the highest level and hasnt taken it seriously IMO. Now, maybe I dont have all the info, but I hardly think they are happy with him showing up out of shape 2 of the last 3 years. they were counting on him in 2011 and he dealt with injuries because of showing up out of shape and not taking his off season conditioning seriously. Now this year, after throwing the most IP in his pro career, he does it again. This past off season was critical for him to do the proper conditioning because of said workload. He looked like a tub of goo when he showed up and had shoulder issues. Now, one month into the season his arm speed is slower and his velocity is down by 4-5MPH.

If it was just the normal control thing, Id have no issue being patient. when he puts the team in a very tough position and has a direct effect on the team because he cant do what is necessary year round to be an MLB pitcher, then I have an issue with him.

South, 

You bring up a good point but a lot of this is true of quite a few players in MLB and maybe not out of shape but certainly many players are over weight, for instance Papi for a few seasons until last year when he came in much thinner. I realize players come in all shapes and sizes but if some in MLB tried it in the NBA they'd be out of gas by the end of the first quarter. I'm sure it might have something to do with Doubrant's ineffectiveness or loss of mileage on his fastball. For players in MLB to get the money they demand and be in the condition many are in !! 

Hetch  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

South, 

Hetch 

Hetch,

South, 

You bring up a good point but a lot of this is true of quite a few players in MLB, maybe not out of shape but certainly many players are over weight, Papi for a few seasons until last year when he came in much thinner. I realize players come in all shapes and sizes but if some in MLB tried it in the NBA they'd be out of gas by the end of the first quarter.

Hetch  

Thats how injuries happen. He could be a very good and reliable MLB starter if he gets his head out of hid azz in regards to off season conditioning. Its got to be frustration to people in the FO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

A lot of very good pitchers have rough starts to their careers.  But they usually dominated the minors.  Buchholz dominated the minors.  Doubront's minor-league stats are pretty pedestrian - his ERA was good, but his WHIP was usually about 1.3.  That probably indicates he was able to work around the better hitters and pitch to the guys who would never make it to the big leagues.  Not an option any more.

I'm not all that down on Doubront, but he never really impressed me much to begin with, and it seems like we have a lot better options coming up quickly.  I don't feel like we need to have much patience or investment in this guy - he doesn't feel part of solution either long-term or short-term, and he doesn't really give the impression that he's doing everything he can for the team.  If we can get something for him in a trade I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

move doubrant to the pen, call up webster, its really quite simple.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

South, 

Hetch 

Hetch,

South, 

You bring up a good point but a lot of this is true of quite a few players in MLB, maybe not out of shape but certainly many players are over weight, Papi for a few seasons until last year when he came in much thinner. I realize players come in all shapes and sizes but if some in MLB tried it in the NBA they'd be out of gas by the end of the first quarter.

Hetch  

Thats how injuries happen. He could be a very good and reliable MLB starter if he gets his head out of hid azz in regards to off season conditioning. Its got to be frustration to people in the FO.

South, 

Once again I couldn't agree with you more but I'm sure the same can be said of many in MLB. If contracts in MLB were stricter with regard to conditioning players would show up in shape.

Hetch

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

South, 

Hetch 

Hetch,

South, 

Hetch  

South, 

Once again I couldn't agree with you more but I'm sure the same can be said of many in MLB. If contracts in MLB were stricter with regard to conditioning players would show up in shape.

Hetch

Well Doubie is still young and has value. If he doesnt get his act together he is certainly moveable and replaceable. I hope it doesnt come to that though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Well, I'd certainly not want to bring him in with people on base because he walks too many.

My guess is he goes on the phantom DL list to rest up his arm and to give his mind time to contemplate his conditioning/lack of in terms of his future.  Like Southpaw, I think mentioned, he's been given opportunity after opportunity to get into condition, but he just doesn't seem to take it seriously.

Maybe a trip to the DL, real or not, would be a reality check.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to tbs2007's comment:

For years I read about how people thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, where are  those people nos?

Those same people  said Napoli blew. He may not be Ted Williams, but come  on!

Get to know the players first before you write something about them please.  It's Doubront, not Doubrant.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont remember a lot of people, or even a few thinking Doubie was the next best thing. They liked him, but I dont think anyone viewed him as a TOTR starter or a future CY Young winner.

And yes, Naps is tearing it up.

Some people get super excited for prospects and therefore overrate them.  This is fine.  It bothers me; however, when people suggest that we should start trading core players, advocating instead for a prospect, who the league hasnt adjusted to yet.

Just the other day, some guy was saying that Doubront makes Lester expendable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Not a terrible suggestion, but premature in my opinion.  Although, I am curious is Doubront will start throwing 94 again if moved to the pen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Doubront is one of the better #5's in baseball but swapping him for Webster will soon be heacting up.  

Sections
Shortcuts