Doubront and Bard win the #4 & 5 job?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Doubront and Bard win the #4 & 5 job?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1121452-boston-red-sox-doubront-and-bard-win-rotation-battle-aceves-to-the-pen

This is from bleacher report so I guess this shouldn't be too reliable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Doubront and Bard win the #4 & 5 job?

This was reported by Peter Abraham, also

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I hope Bard wins a rotation spot. This significantly weakens an already questionable bullpen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront and Bard win the #4 & 5 job?:
    [QUOTE]I hope Bard wins a rotation spot. This significantly weakens an already questionable bullpen.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

And it's not exactly like he's a strength in the rotation either!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

big mistake to put Bard in the rotation. If ST is any indication (13 walks in 18 innings) the merry-go-round will be busy.
    Cook has had the much better spring, and should get the job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Cook probably isn't ready to make the 5th start but barring injury he will get plenty of chances.

Bah!!! People are so obsessed with the opening day starting line up.  The interesting story lines will be what happens between May 1st and the trading deadline.  There are so many ways I could be more confident in this team, but from a purely voyeuristic standpoint, this will be a great season to watch ...

Bard: Can he become a great starter ... or even a decent one?

Iglesias: Will he learn to hit enough to be brought up and bolster the left side?

Aceves: JFC, this guy's record is unreal but not terribly deep.  Odds are good this is the season in which he becomes bona fide or his record becomes deep enough to reveal it as nothing but SSS brilliance.

Cook / Padilla: Anything left in the tank?  Both could be key ... or just another failed dumpster dive

Lavarnway or Salty: Likely the most interesting story of the season.

Aviles: Could be gold ... could have us longing for Jed Lowrie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]big mistake to put Bard in the rotation. If ST is any indication (13 walks in 18 innings) the merry-go-round will be busy. Cook has had the much better spring, and should get the job.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bill, Ike,

It's already been written that Cook, coming off an injury, won't be stretched out enough to start the season in the rotation. He has just nine innings this spring, while Bard and other starters have about twice that many. So Cook isn't the answer at the beginning of the season.

Having said that, I've been very skepitical from the start about Bard going to the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he lasts the season in the rotation -- not because of injury but because of ineffectiveness.

My prediction is that he gets about four to six starts, then gets pushed back or put on the D.L. for a short stint, in which case, Cook gets a shot some time in May. By midseason, barring injuries, I expect Bard to be back in the bullpen with DiceK taking over.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Bill, Ike, It's already been written that Cook, coming off an injury, won't be stretched out enough to start the season in the rotation. He has just nine innings this spring, while Bard and other starters have about twice that many. So Cook isn't the answer at the beginning of the season. Having said that, I've been very skepitical from the start about Bard going to the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he lasts the season in the rotation -- not because of injury but because of ineffectiveness. My prediction is that he gets about four to six starts, then gets pushed back or put on the D.L. for a short stint, in which case, Cook gets a shot some time in May. By midseason, barring injuries, I expect Bard to be back in the bullpen with DiceK taking over.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Exactly my train of thought, also, Roy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Bill, Ike, It's already been written that Cook, coming off an injury, won't be stretched out enough to start the season in the rotation. He has just nine innings this spring, while Bard and other starters have about twice that many. So Cook isn't the answer at the beginning of the season. Having said that, I've been very skepitical from the start about Bard going to the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he lasts the season in the rotation -- not because of injury but because of ineffectiveness. My prediction is that he gets about four to six starts, then gets pushed back or put on the D.L. for a short stint, in which case, Cook gets a shot some time in May. By midseason, barring injuries, I expect Bard to be back in the bullpen with DiceK taking over.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be a bit surprised by this either.

I think it's a good thing that Bard starts the season as the #5. If he can't hack it, it's easy enough to send him back to the pen, if either Cook or Dice-K are ready.

Bard and Dubront are not going to make or break the Red Sox.

Beckett, Lester and Buchholz are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'd like to see how it would pan out. I honestly think that freado should be in the pen. Bard could be good if he warms up good and gets his mind right to start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I Know the consensus is Bard will weaken the Sox by being in the rotation.

Now I don't necessarily disagree with this, as a matter of fact I would lean towards it, but I don't think we should count Bard out just yet.  C.J. Wilson was able to make the transition and in his first year he put up over 200 innings.  

Now I am in no way suggesting Bard will put up 200 innings, I'm only inferring that we don't truly know what he will do until the end of the season. 

I was even more skeptical about both Bard and Aceves being in the rotation, converting two relievers into a starter just seemed even more risky. 

I think the Bullpen will be fine however.  Melcanon/Bailey/Aceves should anchor the bullpen well. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I Know the consensus is Bard will weaken the Sox by being in the rotation. Now I don't necessarily disagree with this, as a matter of fact I would lean towards it, but I don't think we should count Bard out just yet.  C.J. Wilson was able to make the transition and in his first year he put up over 200 innings.   Now I am in no way suggesting Bard will put up 200 innings, I'm only inferring that we don't truly know what he will do until the end of the season.  I was even more skeptical about both Bard and Aceves being in the rotation, converting two relievers into a starter just seemed even more risky.  I think the Bullpen will be fine however.  Melcanon/Bailey/Aceves should anchor the bullpen well. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I think the bullpen will be fine too, regardless of whether or not Bard is the pen. If he can consistently pitch at least six innings and keep the ERA no higher than 4.20, I'll be satisfied for now to get that from a four or five starter.

If his ERA is 4.50 or higher and he's usually out by the fifth inning, then in that case, he'd be more useful in the bullpen.

I'm not counting him out and am willing to give him a fair shot, but I do remain very skeptical. He struggled as a starter in the minors so as for as pro ball is concerned, there's really no track record on him being an effective starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

It seems like an experiment rigth now.  Dice-K will be back and take one of those spots in June.  I am hoping that between Dice-K, Cook, Padilla, Aceves we have enough starters to get through the season this year with the 5 we break camp with.  Last year we started out looking great and everyone got hurt or got lazy as the season wore on.  It would be nice to get stronger as the season gets longer instead of fading.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Your going to like Doubront !!!!!!!  Hope that Bard gets better with every game !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

20. Doubront had a 2.70 ERA in 16.2 innings. The 24-year-old left-hander is out of options so if the Sox tried to send him to Pawtucket he’d need to clear waivers. That wouldn’t happen so it seems like it’s time for the Sox to see if Doubront is anything more than a tantalizing prospect. He is widely considered a lock for the rotation.
  21. Bard had a 6.57 ERA in 24.2 innings this spring. He said after a solid final start yesterday that he wasn’t as concerned with his numbers as his increasing comfort level. The Sox made the decision to convert Bard from a reliable set-up man into a starter. It seems highly unlikely they’d bail on that plan based on a few rocky weeks in the beginning of the experiment. Expect Bard to earn a spot in the rotation.
  22. Aceves had a 5.50 ERA in 18 innings this spring. He said after his final start on Thursday that his heart was set on being in the rotation. Aceves’ versatility may work against him in this competition, as he’s proven that he can pitch in a variety of roles. Aceves has a 4.18 ERA as a starter compared to a 2.62 ERA as a reliever in his career, though the starting numbers are from a much smaller sample size. It seems likely that Aceves will start the season in the bullpen and fill a similar role to last season when he bounced around.
  23. Cook, who signed with the Sox this offseason after 10 years with the Rockies, had a 1.93 ERA in 9.1 innings. The Sox are bringing him along slowly and he seems like a lock to start the season with Pawtucket. Cook has a May 1 opt-out clause in his contract, so if a spot doesn’t open up for him with the Sox by then he’ll be free to leave.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I am going to go out on the limb here, and project Bard as the second best starter on the team by the dog days of summer.  LIkewise, if Bard is relegated back to the bullpen against his own desires, I predict that he will be mediocre, maybe around 4.00 ERA, with no defined role by August.  Therefore, I see his move to the rotation as not weakening the bullpen much, if at all, while strengthening the rotation as eminently possible. 

Give Bard a chance.  He has a great arm, terrific delivery, and by all accounts is very smart.  Better to get 150 - 170 innings from him than 75.

As for Doubront, it is much more likely that he gets the DL stint and moved to the bullpen (as the second lefty) when Dice-K returns, IMO.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]I am going to go out on the limb here, and project Bard as the second best starter on the team by the dog days of summer.  LIkewise, if Bard is relegated back to the bullpen against his own desires, I predict that he will be mediocre, maybe around 4.00 ERA, with no defined role by August.  Therefore, I see his move to the rotation as not weakening the bullpen much, if at all, while strengthening the rotation as eminently possible.  Give Bard a chance.  He has a great arm, terrific delivery, and by all accounts is very smart.  Better to get 150 - 170 innings from him than 75. As for Doubront, it is much more likely that he gets the DL stint and moved to the bullpen (as the second lefty) when Dice-K returns, IMO.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Great post, Parhunter...By this time next year, I have a feeling most fans will forget Bard was ever a reliever...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ehhhh idk im still on the fence about bard. i mean when hes on, HES ON and if he could pitch at his best for most of the season i would love to have him in the roto getting 150-180 innings from him but when hes bad, hes dreadful and he seems to dwell on mistakes too much and phych himself out. I guess only time will tell. I hope he makes the transition successfully

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Doubront and Bard win the #4 & 5 job?:
    [QUOTE]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1121452-boston-red-sox-doubront-and-bard-win-rotation-battle-aceves-to-the-pen This is from bleacher report so I guess this shouldn't be too reliable.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE

Rightfully so, they are two more home grown kids that could make or break our rotation.  Thats what I love about this organization, we actually give most of our kids a shot to make the big club and look how many have helped through all the years of choosing bad FA's.

I wish them both luck and hope Ciraico sticks.  More infield speed and a decent bat never hurts if he can hold his own defensively.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

j

• You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Here's hoping that ST results translate into AL East results...but I will hold my breath waiting for that to happen.  I see Bard as OK starting...just hope his arm holds up.  The SP has seen medical failure year after year lately and we just have to hope they have that figured out this year.  If they can ever get through a year with only normal injuries...they will be in the thick of it.