Doubront, Bard in rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Doubront, Bard in rotation

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/04/doubront_named_1.html

So that's official. Probably the right call, IMO; Aceves probably deserves it but, as many have suspected all along, is just too valuable out of the bullpen.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation

This is pretty much what was expected. Agree it's the right call, Flapjack

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

So Bard and Doubront get to square off to see who can retain their starters role until Dice-K returns.

IMO, Dice-K will find his spot in the rotation again and one of those other guys will find his way to the bullpen.

This could get interesting. especially if Doubront & Bard are really effective as starters!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Doubront as the # 4 starter ??  You have to be kidding !! Doesn't anyone remember how bad he was last season when given a chance ? I can see him getting lit up by the Blue Jays in his first start at the Jays home opener.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I wonder how you would feel if you were up for  promotion at your job , but were denied it because you were " too valuable " in your present position ? The promotion and raise went to someone else.  Would you be happy , or would you start thinking about looking for another job?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation:
    I wonder how you would feel if you were up for  promotion at your job , but were denied it because you were " too valuable " in your present position ? The promotion and raise went to someone else.  Would you be happy , or would you start thinking about looking for another job?
    Posted by dgalehouse

It happens everyday in corporate America, Gale. I see it where I work. This is a for now decision, with 162 games, it could change in the near future. It was between Bard and Aceves, the bullpen couldn't afford to lose both. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

It sounds like he did get a promotion though.  He'll be taking over for Bailey while he deals with his thumb injury.  Closers get paid in arb, he'll see more money out of this than if he were a 4.20 ERA starter (4.18 career).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

So Bard and Doubront get to square off to see who can retain their starters role until Dice-K returns. IMO, Dice-K will find his spot in the rotation again and one of those other guys will find his way to the bullpen. This could get interesting. especially if Doubront & Bard are really effective as starters!
    Posted by Soxdog67

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  The first major hurdle is Cook's May 1st opt out date.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation : It happens everyday in corporate America, Gale. I see it where I work. This is a for now decision, with 162 games, it could change in the near future. It was between Bard and Aceves, the bullpen couldn't afford to lose both. 
    Posted by J-BAY

And who's fault is that???? Does it make you wonder what a waste ST is...We will give you shot at starting .. You prove to us you deserve to start and we will then ship your AZZ back to the pen. Glad Aceves has only one year on contract. Hope he leaves and gets what he deserves...Sure the Yanks would take him back...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

So Bard and Doubront get to square off to see who can retain their starters role until Dice-K returns. IMO, Dice-K will find his spot in the rotation again and one of those other guys will find his way to the bullpen. This could get interesting. especially if Doubront & Bard are really effective as starters!
    Posted by Soxdog67

someone posted a few days ago that we could probably go with a 6 man roto once dice-K is back. i really like that idea because itll take some stress off of the entire roto and help prevent another september from happening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I can't believe the Sox would go to a 6-man rotation, it would be foolhardy.  Why would we want to transfer starts from Lester, Buchholz and Beckett to our 4th, 5th and 6th starters?  Plus it would reduce the bullpen by 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation : And who's fault is that???? Does it make you wonder what a waste ST is...We will give you shot at starting .. You prove to us you deserve to start and we will then ship your AZZ back to the pen. Glad Aceves has only one year on contract. Hope he leaves and gets what he deserves...Sure the Yanks would take him back...
    Posted by donrd4

Ace has 2 more years after this one.  He won't be a FA until after 2014 unless he's released.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation : And who's fault is that???? Does it make you wonder what a waste ST is...We will give you shot at starting .. You prove to us you deserve to start and we will then ship your AZZ back to the pen. Glad Aceves has only one year on contract. Hope he leaves and gets what he deserves...Sure the Yanks would take him back...
    Posted by donrd4

Don, there were three viable pitchers for two spots. One was going to be the odd man out and not happy about it. Aceves was too valuable in the bullpen and Bard was the right decision, IMO. There will be a lot of moving pieces over the next 6 months; Aveces may end up in the rotation or the closer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Doubront as the # 4 starter ??  You have to be kidding !! Doesn't anyone remember how bad he was last season when given a chance ? I can see him getting lit up by the Blue Jays in his first start at the Jays home opener.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Doubront was hurt last year and only pitched a few games in relief for the big-league club...I wouldn't take that as an indication of his ability. At the very least, he's shown he deserves a shot. If either he or Bard doesn't pan out, we have Aceves and other options available (someone mentioned Dice-K on the way back, and Aaron Cook could be ready before long). 

All in all, I'm not nearly as worried about the rotation as I probably should be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation : Don, there were three viable pitchers for two spots. One was going to be the odd man out and not happy about it. Aceves was too valuable in the bullpen and Bard was the right decision, IMO. There will be a lot of moving pieces over the next 6 months; Aveces may end up in the rotation or the closer
    Posted by J-BAY

You might be right. Just feel that the money Aceves is looking for is in starting.He is one of the better Pitchers and should be paid that way. Won't happen in the bullpen. I know i would be pissed all season .I also believe that he only has a one year contract. ?Think i'm right on this one .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront, Bard in rotation : You might be right. Just feel that the money Aceves is looking for is in starting.He is one of the better Pitchers and should be paid that way. Won't happen in the bullpen. I know i would be pissed all season .I also believe that he only has a one year contract. ?Think i'm right on this one .
    Posted by donrd4

Just a couple of things.

1-Aceves has started before and not done well.  Maybe he deserves another chance, maybe not.

2-OTOH, it happens to everyone.  Maybe Bard deserves a chance to close.  Maybe Lowrie deserved a chance to start at 2B someplace.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Posted by Soxdog67

This is a valid concern, but I don't see it happening.  They will pitch Dice-K IF he is ready to come back, but I doubt he will be ready.  By the time he could be ready, we will likely need the help / rest.  If he pitches, I think it will be for the rest needed, & to HOPEFULLY SHOP HIS WARES!!!

I DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS GUY PITCH FOR THE SOX AGAIN!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

There is far more money and respect for a successful starter than a successful non-closing reliever, and even closers don't earn the same money and respect as starters.  Why shouldn't Aceves, Bard and every other reliever aspire to starting?  Most/all relievers don't start because they failed at some point as a starter so developed a reputation for not being able to start.

Aceves is to some degree a victim of his versatility and success as a reliever.  Of course, while his career performance out of the bullpen is Rivera-like in its excellence, his career relief appearances (105) are still fewer than Mike Marshall's 106 in 1974.

As for his history as a starter, I'll leave it to other posters to pass judgement on his career total of 9 starts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

don't forget we will need starters for when the top 3 or even the 4/5th starters are injured.  I like our depth, although most of them are question marks, but either way we have players to turn to in the rotation as well as the pen, unlike last year.  A lot of difficult dissions now as well as throughout the season.  Ciriaco over thomas or atleast tazawa over thomas in bull pen

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

don't forget we will need starters for when the top 3 or even the 4/5th starters are injured.  I like our depth, although most of them are question marks, but either way we have players to turn to in the rotation as well as the pen, unlike last year.  A lot of difficult dissions now as well as throughout the season.  Ciriaco over thomas or atleast tazawa over thomas in bull pen
    Posted by Sev133

Who the heck is "thomas'?  I don't think Timmy has time to fill a Sox roster spot...atr least not until July I hope!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Posted by jpBsSoxFan

If the rotations has Lester as the #1 starter, it makes sense that Doubront would start in the #4 spot instead of the #5 spot since both are lefthanded.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Doubront, Bard in rotation:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/04/doubront_named_1.html So that's official. Probably the right call, IMO; Aceves probably deserves it but, as many have suspected all along, is just too valuable out of the bullpen. Thoughts?
    Posted by Flapjack07

I'm excited about young Felix's progress.  He's looking really good.

I'm holding out hope for Bard ...  the "pitch speak" that he and Bobby are using could be real progress or smoke.  Still, he has so much potential.

I think Cook will be a big help.

I feel  bad for Aceves ...but as you say, too valuable in the pen.

Sections
Shortcuts