Doubront

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Doubront

I for one am intrigued by his opporuntity to make some impact.  When some talked about the rotation, they went with the top three and then say they had no idea after that.  Some still take that tack.  Let's set aside Bard and concentrate on Doubront. 

If you believe some people, they had no choice but to slip him into the rotation, if for no other reason that he was out of options.  So essentially, they settled. 

The reality is that he had a pretty good spring.  Remember, he was "supposed" to be in the mix last year and being out of shape and injured put a damper on that.  So he came to camp in better shape and effectively earned a spot in the rotation.  Perhaps a year later than hoped, but he is a whopping 24 years old.

Keep in mind, he is going in as the 4th starter.  What are we really hoping that a fourth starter can do?  10, 12, 14 wins.  If he is even reasonably good, ten should not be that hard to get to.  Fourteen would take a bit more, but then again, who expected Nova to 16 last year or Pineda to be good enough to make All Star team and then be valuable enough to the Yankees to trade Monteiro. 

Doubront is not some retread, who they are hoping will get back to past glory.  He is an up and comer, hopefull, who may be a servicable pitcher for years to come.  They are envisioning him to be a top of the rotation guy now or in the future.  They have the three of Beckett, Buccholz and Lester under control through 2014 or 2015.   Renaudo and Barnes are pegged to middle to top of rotation guys and their ETAs are 2013 or 2014.  Having a Doubront at the back end only deepens what could be a solid rotation for years to come.

Add to that the possibility of Bard making it as a starter then dare I say ......Lackey (Nate ducks as things are thrown his way).  The reality of Lackey is that he will be back and he could (note I said could) be the Lackey they thought they were getting.  And he does have an extra year tacked on because of the original contract. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Doubront

I saw him pitch live the weekend before last.  He looked fantastic.  In really good condition.  Easy command. I think he may still have some growing pains, but I am excited.  He is finally coming into his own and he could really surprise people.  I don't give credence to the notion that they gave him the spot because he was out of options.  They could have put him in the pen.  He earned his spot.  No question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Back in early February I got possessed with irrational exuberance. I predicted 21-9, 2.85 ERA, plus Cy Young and World Series MVP trophies for a certain young lefty, one Felix Doubront.

But seriously, he's 24 and basically almost a rookie. Would anyone be upset with 12 wins and 150 innings of sub-4.50 ERA from the kid ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It seems like a lot of people on this forum are pretty down on him, but I really like this kid. To me he looks a lot like Lester did when he came up to stay. And let's remember there were a lot of people here who wanted to trade Lester, Ellsbury and the rest of the farm for Santana. But back to the point, Doubront's fastball sits around 93 or 94, he has a very good curve and slider as well as a decent change. Seriously, what's not to like? And thank you natepioneer1 for starting this thread so I didn't have to.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Carabobo kid  looked great tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Doubront looked like a great prospect all the way back when he was a 17 year old eating up Venuezuelan baseball with a sub 2.00 era. I never thought he would develop a 94 mph fastball though. He can really help us if he can stay healthy. He is a solid prospect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I thought Doubront did a great job. I really never saw him pitch before. And when considering the pressure he must have been under considering the circumstances, he was amazing.

He's going to be a great addition to the Sox. I'm looking forward to his next game. I said in the off-season when posters were upset we weren't getting enough big name players, you never know where the heroes are going to come from. Look at the Cardinals.

And, again, Sweeney - whom I never even heard of before he came here - has been doing a fantastic job as well. Ya never know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This kid got nice breaking balls..

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Dad & Bill-806 have been talking about this guy for the last 2.5 years !!   Not surprised at all of what Doubront can do !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He pitched really well, and probably would not have given up any runs had Salty not been out of position.
    He got squeeszed by Hudson last night as did Alverez but both guys were superb.
    I was pleaseantly surprised at how well Atchison did.
    Nice win for the Sox!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Doubront:
    [QUOTE]I for one am intrigued by his opporuntity to make some impact.  When some talked about the rotation, they went with the top three and then say they had no idea after that.  Some still take that tack.  Let's set aside Bard and concentrate on Doubront.  If you believe some people, they had no choice but to slip him into the rotation, if for no other reason that he was out of options.  So essentially, they settled.  The reality is that he had a pretty good spring.  Remember, he was "supposed" to be in the mix last year and being out of shape and injured put a damper on that.  So he came to camp in better shape and effectively earned a spot in the rotation.  Perhaps a year later than hoped, but he is a whopping 24 years old. Keep in mind, he is going in as the 4th starter.  What are we really hoping that a fourth starter can do?  10, 12, 14 wins.  If he is even reasonably good, ten should not be that hard to get to.  Fourteen would take a bit more, but then again, who expected Nova to 16 last year or Pineda to be good enough to make All Star team and then be valuable enough to the Yankees to trade Monteiro.  Doubront is not some retread, who they are hoping will get back to past glory.  He is an up and comer, hopefull, who may be a servicable pitcher for years to come.  They are envisioning him to be a top of the rotation guy now or in the future.  They have the three of Beckett, Buccholz and Lester under control through 2014 or 2015.   Renaudo and Barnes are pegged to middle to top of rotation guys and their ETAs are 2013 or 2014.  Having a Doubront at the back end only deepens what could be a solid rotation for years to come. Add to that the possibility of Bard making it as a starter then dare I say ......Lackey (Nate ducks as things are thrown his way).  The reality of Lackey is that he will be back and he could (note I said could) be the Lackey they thought they were getting.  And he does have an extra year tacked on because of the original contract. 
    Posted by natepioneer1[/QUOTE]
     ...or another Billy Rohr???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Doubront has the pitches to be a very good ML pitcher and he also seems to have the confidence.....this year he came in shape with the right attitude....I see good things ahead. Can't wait to see the Bard start tonight....despite the 0-3 start, this team should have taken 2 of 3 in Detroit...my two worries are Beckett(alternate year horror) and Youk....he looks like a different hitter at the plate....completely unbalanced.....hopefully it is all because it is early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Doubront:
    [QUOTE]   Dad & Bill-806 have been talking about this guy for the last 2.5 years !!   Not surprised at all of what Doubront can do !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Were you and dad talking about why a kid fighting for a starters job would come to camp out of shape? (2011)

Do you and dad write this off, because he is young, but with Beckett, it's a different story?

Just curious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]He pitched really well, and probably would not have given up any runs had Salty not been out of position. He got squeeszed by Hudson last night as did Alverez but both guys were superb. I was pleaseantly surprised at how well Atchison did. Nice win for the Sox!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]Salty clearly was out of position. Unless the ball is hit hard enough and at someone to turn 2 the play is at home. Had he held his position it would have been an easy block of the plate and tag. I too was shocked the way Atchison pitched. Frankly I was surprised he broke ST with the club.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doubront : Salty clearly was out of position. Unless the ball is hit hard enough and at someone to turn 2 the play is at home. Had he held his position it would have been an easy block of the plate and tag. I too was shocked the way Atchison pitched. Frankly I was surprised he broke ST with the club.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

Atchison has pitched well for us for 2 years. It didn't surprise me too much.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Doubront : Were you and dad talking about why a kid fighting for a starters job would come to camp out of shape? (2011) Do you and dad write this off, because he is young, but with Beckett, it's a different story? Just curious.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Moonman....  Good point ....  The difference being, that Felix has always had good stuff and keeps the ball moving away or in on hitters. His change of speed is a point that Beckett'$ could learn from.....  WE (dad & B-806) never wrote him off because we knew the light would go off...   Now, it is a different story with the very difficult FAT-CAT TEXAN, his way or the highway.  Not even Cy Young himself would get his ear !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts