Down on the farm "portland sea dog addition"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Down on the farm "portland sea dog addition"

I was able to catch 2 of the Portland sea dogs games this week and left with some good impressions from some of our better prospects.

Christian Vasquez is a prospect I've not been very high on, but I really liked what I saw from him and I'm beginning to like him a tad bit more now.  His defense is off the charts, he supposedly grew up idolizing Pudge rodriguez and dreamed of being a catcher since he was a kid; it shows.

One hole in his defensive game in the past has been blocking balls in the dirt.  Scouts have noted that he has made strides in this department and I walked away last night impressed in his abilities behind the dish.  The Sea-dogs closer had one of those shaky 9th innings where he gave up some hits, a run and walked a guy and buried the ball in the dirt.  Vasquez had to block the ball in the dirt several times and easily prevented 2 wild pitches. 

He also looked much more comfortable at the plate.  He's batting .313 in his last ten games and he in general just looked comfortable at the plate last night.  He will probably never be a great hitter at the MLB level but his defense is good enough to make him a backup catcher right now....and if his bat develops "just enough" he can start and provide a LOT of value to the team behind the dish.  He's pretty much the Jose Iglesias of the Catching position.  Little to no chance we see him this year but I think he deserves a promotion to Pawtucket

Garrin Cecchini is another prospect who really excited me and he didn't dissapoint last night.  He had two hits last night and went 1/4 today.  Although he stung the ball hard a couple times right at someone and even his singles were hard.  You can tell hes' put on some size and looks like he still has the room to fill out; I would not be surprised to see him grow into some power.  What impressed me the most about him was just his approach in general.  Even his outs were sexy.  He knows the strike zone, he swings at strikes and lays off of the bad stuff, he looks comfortable up there and has the bat speed to catch up to the heat....he's going to be good.

Michael Almanzar did not impress me.  He looked very disengaged at times.  Vasqueq poped out of his stance and easily had the runner picked off 1st but Almanzar wasn't even paying attention.  He looks into the game one second and then zoned out the next, it's as if he has ADHD (pure speculation)

If you didn't know any of the players names and had to guess who was a MLB player in a few years just by looking at there body's then I would have told you Garrin Cecchini and Miguel Sano (who is a BEAST by the way; if you don't know who he is then look him up).

Anthony Ranuado looked pretty good too, but as he's scouted this season he was to relient on his fastball and his secondary pitches were very "meh".  It didn't really seem like he trusted any of his other pitches but he was able to get hitters out with his fastball.  The good news there is that he was easily able to get hitters out with his fastball so if absolutely nothing else were to develop for this kid (and there's no reason to think that he won't continue to progress) he has late inning reliver potential. I was a little worried after he's had two bad starts on the big stage and he started off slow today, but he settled in and pretty much became lights out for the next 4 innings. 

All in all I some some good stuff.  Always love going to the games and checking in on some prospects.  I'm hoping to make a trip up to Lowell at some point this season and check out some games up there.....LOTS of good talent there this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Down on the farm

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I was able to catch 2 of the Portland sea dogs games this week and left with some good impressions from some of our better prospects.

Christian Vasquez is a prospect I've not been very high on, but I really liked what I saw from him and I'm beginning to like him a tad bit more now.  His defense is off the charts, he supposedly grew up idolizing Pudge rodriguez and dreamed of being a catcher since he was a kid; it shows.

One hole in his defensive game in the past has been blocking balls in the dirt.  Scouts have noted that he has made strides in this department and I walked away last night impressed in his abilities behind the dish.  The Sea-dogs closer had one of those shaky 9th innings where he gave up some hits, a run and walked a guy and buried the ball in the dirt.  Vasquez had to block the ball in the dirt several times and easily prevented 2 wild pitches. 

He also looked much more comfortable at the plate.  He's batting .313 in his last ten games and he in general just looked comfortable at the plate last night.  He will probably never be a great hitter at the MLB level but his defense is good enough to make him a backup catcher right now....and if his bat develops "just enough" he can start and provide a LOT of value to the team behind the dish.  He's pretty much the Jose Iglesias of the Catching position.  Little to no chance we see him this year but I think he deserves a promotion to Pawtucket

Garrin Cecchini is another prospect who really excited me and he didn't dissapoint last night.  He had two hits last night and went 1/4 today.  Although he stung the ball hard a couple times right at someone and even his singles were hard.  You can tell hes' put on some size and looks like he still has the room to fill out; I would not be surprised to see him grow into some power.  What impressed me the most about him was just his approach in general.  Even his outs were sexy.  He knows the strike zone, he swings at strikes and lays off of the bad stuff, he looks comfortable up there and has the bat speed to catch up to the heat....he's going to be good.

Michael Almanzar did not impress me.  He looked very disengaged at times.  Vasqueq poped out of his stance and easily had the runner picked off 1st but Almanzar wasn't even paying attention.  He looks into the game one second and then zoned out the next, it's as if he has ADHD (pure speculation)

If you didn't know any of the players names and had to guess who was a MLB player in a few years just by looking at there body's then I would have told you Garrin Cecchini and Miguel Sano (who is a BEAST by the way; if you don't know who he is then look him up).

Anthony Ranuado looked pretty good too, but as he's scouted this season he was to relient on his fastball and his secondary pitches were very "meh".  It didn't really seem like he trusted any of his other pitches but he was able to get hitters out with his fastball.  The good news there is that he was easily able to get hitters out with his fastball so if absolutely nothing else were to develop for this kid (and there's no reason to think that he won't continue to progress) he has late inning reliver potential. I was a little worried after he's had two bad starts on the big stage and he started off slow today, but he settled in and pretty much became lights out for the next 4 innings. 

All in all I some some good stuff.  Always love going to the games and checking in on some prospects.  I'm hoping to make a trip up to Lowell at some point this season and check out some games up there.....LOTS of good talent there this year.

Good stuff CT.... thx for the read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice report.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I live extremely close to Hadlock and go to a bunch of games. Vasquez is an unbelievable cather, you're right, he's really looked good at the plate too. Mike Antonellis always raves about him on the local radio here, will be interesting to see how his offensive game translates at higher levels. Ranaudo has easily been the most impressive pitcher, Barnes clearly has good stuff but has been a bit incosistant this year, though I expect him to improve.

Someone we don't hear much about is Michael Almanzar, and he's been raking all year for the Seadogs. .277/12/62 so far. He's kinda flying under the radar a bit. Guy can hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I remember when Almanzar was a highly regarded prospect then fell off the face of the planet for 4 years.  I guess this is why following the minor leagues can be boring to some.  You may hear about a guy being brought into an organization but you won't see him for 5-6 years.  Think about it this way, Bogaerts was signed in 2009 and we probably won't see him in Boston until 2014 (this is excluding the possibility that he will likley get a cup of coffee later this year)  For someone who is insanely age advanced, that's 5 years.  And that's the fast track!

Point is, a lot of these guys have not seen the same level of competition and are very raw entering the orginization.  They may be signed for there tools and never pan out, or they can fade away and end up putting it all together in a few years. 

If asked earlier this year I'd say Almanzar was the better prospect between him and Vasquez....but I'd take Vasquez today.  I just love his defense too much.  Almanzar may have the better bat, but for someone who would pretty much just be a DH/1B at the big league level, the pressure is on.  I'm not saying he can't do it, I just think the bar is set that much higher for him.

Even if a guy like Christain Vasquez isn't the catcher of the future I think he brings good value to this team one way or another.  If his bat develops we have a chance to have a superior catcher and if it doesn't we have very good defensive minded back up catcher at the MLB level.  He may also provide some value on the trade market.  It would only take ONE other team to love his defense and have some confidence in the development of his bat to covet him and raise his status to a highly regarded secondary piece in a trade.  Still If I had to guess I'd say Almanzar is the more likely of the two to be traded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Matt Barnes gets the start tonight.  Barnes is having a rough sopmore campaign but has shown flashes of dominance.  Prospects struggle and I don't think his struggles are an indictment on his prosepct status....I think he still has a chance to be the best starter out of any pitcher in our system.  He's coming off of a good start in which he went 7 innings gave up 0 runs and striked out 10.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Barnes had another very good start. 5 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 8 K's.  Portland lost 2-1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Henry Owens has been promoted to Portland......

Somone here predicted this last week that it would happen right at the trade deadline, I can't remember who it was hmmmmm.  Ok I'm done being a narcassist.

A well deserved promotion to one of the orginizations top prospects who is now 21 years old in Double A.  

Our system is as strong as it's been in a while and has a lot of pitching depth but it has been top heavy in hitting.  It will be nice to see if some of these pitchers can step up and become a blue chip prospect. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/31/red-sox-promoting-henry-owens-to-double-a/

Sections
Shortcuts