Down on the Farm - Renaudo and Owens

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Down on the Farm - Renaudo and Owens

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

I stated next season, not this season. Ranaudo may be up in September, Owens, no.

Dempster and Lackey have very tradable contracts. Might have to eat 3-5M of dempsters, but if his replacement can give you that kind of value making 500,000, then its not a big deal.

[/QUOTE]

If we were able to dump Dempster at cost, we'd have enough to overpay Ellsbury, McCann or Salty, and one more big named FA to play 1B or 3B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think we should take a chance on Abreu.  The guy hit 33 HRs in 66 games.  He slugged over .900.  I know it's hard to put in perspective but we know Cuban players can play, and that was more than 200 points better than the next guy.

Even if he's not the next Miguel Cabrera, he's a right-handed power bat.  At the very least, he could platoon with a guy like Carp and give us some serious middle of the order thump.

We don't lose players, and the price tag is something we can absorb, even if it turns out to be a mistake (10-12M  / yearfor 5-6 years)

IMO it's less of a risk than re-signing Ellsbury.  I'd let Ells walk, sign Abreu and re-sign Salty.  Stand pat with the staff - there's nobody available by trade or free agency who is a significant upgrade over our starting five, and we have enough young arms and bullpen guys returning to health to cover for any injuries that might arise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Owens showed why he's still got some development left to do.....still a very exciting prospect none the less.  He is now the #1 pitching prospect in our organization.