Draft Pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Draft Pick

For some it was about not being able to root against them. I remember enduring some level of ridicule for what I proposed. Now the timing of WHEN to start wishing for losses is certainly a matter of opinion. For me it was weeks ago.

In both 2010 and 2011, you called the season over in the first or second week in May, and were rooting for the Red Sox to lose IN MAY in both of those seasons.   I wouldn't be surprised if you were rooting for them to lose in May this year as well.

I can't root for them to lose,  even at this point.   I think for the integrity of the game and for the integrity of the team, they have to go out and play as hard as they can to win every game.  That said, I won't be extremely disappointed if the Sox do lose and that results in either the Yanks not winning the division or the Sox getting a better draft pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I will never root for us to lose, but it doesn't hurt anymore when they do this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I will never root for us to lose, but it doesn't hurt anymore when they do this year.

Agreed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Love the idea of a high draft pick this year, but that does not necessarily guarantee anything if the Sox don't get the right player...and quite frankly one has to have doubts concerning their ability to even recognize great talent (which the 3rd pick should guarantee the Sox getting).  SP is rather hard to judge at the college level and that is what this team really needs to develop in the minors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For some it was about not being able to root against them. I remember enduring some level of ridicule for what I proposed. Now the timing of WHEN to start wishing for losses is certainly a matter of opinion. For me it was weeks ago.

In both 2010 and 2011, you called the season over in the first or second week in May, and were rooting for the Red Sox to lose IN MAY in both of those seasons.   I wouldn't be surprised if you were rooting for them to lose in May this year as well.

I can't root for them to lose,  even at this point.   I think for the integrity of the game and for the integrity of the team, they have to go out and play as hard as they can to win every game.  That said, I won't be extremely disappointed if the Sox do lose and that results in either the Yanks not winning the division or the Sox getting a better draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

That is an exaggeration. While their slow starts the past few years have put them in a hole that they have not been able to get out of, as I mentioned at the time (and don't bother telling me that they actually got out of it last year: they failed to make the playoffs because they had TWO bad stretches, not just September), I did not root for them to lose in May. Besides, now you have come around and realize that losses are more productive than wins, that losing actually is strategically better. While you cannot root for them to lose, you admit that losing is better for the franchise. The problem is that you cannot eliminate the emotional part of being a Sox fan and look at it objectively, and I understand that. I can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Losing is never a good thing.  A higher draft position is, of course, a beneficial byproduct of losing.

Give the Jays some credit- they are in a similar position to us but they played hard and swept us - again.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Losing is never a good thing.  A higher draft position is, of course, a beneficial byproduct of losing.

Give the Jays some credit- they are in a similar position to us but they played hard and swept us - again.    

Which is more important, objectively, right now: winning ball games (which feels good but accomplishes nothing) or losing and getting a better pick?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which is more important, objectively, right now: winning ball games (which feels good but accomplishes nothing) or losing and getting a better pick?

[/QUOTE]

Be that as it may, pumpsie, can you bring yourself to root for them to lose, against the NYY??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rooting against a team is the opposite of being a fan of that team.

If you really want a team to lose, you can't really like them too much, can you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Be that as it may, pumpsie, can you bring yourself to root for them to lose, against the NYY??

I would imagine that all Red Sox fans would like to see them win a few games against the Yankees.  Considering how poorly they have been playing recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they are swept by the Yankees.  Actually, the Red Sox may not win many of their remaining games for the remainder of the season.  Although, as many have mentioned, it will result in a higher draft position which is definitely good. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, I can't. Even though I realize its not logical, I can't wish for a Yankee win over anyone. Ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that all Red Sox fans would like to see them win a few games against the Yankees.  Considering how poorly they have been playing recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they are swept by the Yankees.  Actually, the Red Sox may not win many of their remaining games for the remainder of the season.  Although, as many have mentioned, it will result in a higher draft position which is definitely good. 

[/QUOTE]

Recognizing that fact is a far cry from WANTING them to lose every game.

I don't believe the marginal improvement in draft picks is worth putting  the younger players through a month of losing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If you really want a team to lose, you can't really like them too much, can you?

Thats illogical. I ALWAYS want whats best for the team. Usually thats winning games, but sometimes, like now, when the individual games are meaningless, I can delay my gratification until later, when the games DO mean something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Also, I would go so far as to say that people who want to keep winning games now are not really wanting what is best for the team right now. Its cold, its harsh, but I think thats really true. It FEELS good to win games, but I don't really think its in our best interests.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Also, I would go so far as to say that people who want to keep winning games now are not really wanting what is best for the team right now. Its cold, its harsh, but I think thats really true. It FEELS good to win games, but I don't really think its in our best interests.

[/QUOTE]

I think I can summarize my position like this:

At the start of the game I want them to win.

At the end of the game, if they lose, I say, oh well, better for the draft position.

As we all know it doesn't even matter what we're hoping for, it won't affect the outcome.

And this team the way it is now can't help but lose most of its games.

If we lose the remaining 21 games I think we would set an alltime record, so that would be kind of embarrassing.  I certainly don't want that to top off this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't buy that, Moon.  I'd say a "real" fan has the team's best interests at heart even if rooting for a loss is painful.

Consider a sport with a higher draft slot importance like basketball....they don't always work out as expected, but if your basketball team had the chance to pick a guy like Robinson, O'Neill, James, etc. at nbr 1 if you lost the last game of the season to an equally bad team would you root for them to win or lose?

Lew Alcinder or Neil Walk?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"or" and "eal".....I hate the lack of editing!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't buy that, Moon.  I'd say a "real" fan has the team's best interests at heart even if rooting for a loss is painful.

Consider a sport with a higher draft slot importance like basketball....they don't always work out as expected, but if your basketball team had the chance to pick a guy like Robinson, O'Neill, James, etc. at nbr 1 if you lost the last game of the season to an equally bad team would you root for them to win or lose?

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Trust me: losing is as painful for me as it is for anyone here. I just see it as a necessary evil for the rest of the year. It puts us in a better position for our future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I really don't get the concept of 'rooting' for your team to lose.  I just can't picture anybody actually doing it.  It's one thing to be unconcerned about losing, but I think it crosses into a weird area if you're actually yelling at Buchholz to give up a 3-run jack or something like that.

Anyway this team doesn't need anybody rooting it on to lose.  They're doing a sensational job of it all on their own.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Trust me: losing is as painful for me as it is for anyone here. I just see it as a necessary evil for the rest of the year. It puts us in a better position for our future.

[/QUOTE]

If you think the difference of a MLB draft position #4 vs a MLB draft position #7 is on the same level as Alcindor vs Walk, then you haven't paid attention to MLB drafts.

Rooting for the Sox to lose is rooting for the other team. Rooting for another team is being their fan- not ours.

I would not be upset if we lose and end up with the #4 pick, but I'd never sit there watching a Sox game and wish they lose.

That's not being a fan.

What kind of fan would you be if you lived in KC and was a Royal fan?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump past the idiot