Drake Britton.. Nice knowing you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Drake Britton.. Nice knowing you

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff's office.

The arrest occurred at 4:42 a.m. Saturday, on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, which is adjacent to Fort Myers. According to the arrest report, Britton, who was driving a 2008 black Chevrolet Silverado (a pickup truck), was paced at a maximum speed of 111 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone. With a police car in pursuit, Britton's truck swerved in between other moving vehicles and jumped over a curb, continuing down a small decline and knocking down a barbed-wire fence, according to the police report. Britton then continued down a dirt road for a quarter of a mile and attempted to pull into a wooded area before coming to a stop. When the officer approached and asked for his license, Britton first handed him his debit card.

According to the arresting officer, Britton's breath smelled of alcohol and he had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. Britton refused a breath test, but the officer said he admitted he had been drinking. He was taken to Lee County Jail.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Drake Britton.. Nice knowing you

Wow, what an idiot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Yep....he's an idiot.  WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES.....HOWEVER.....driving drunk is dumb.....now driving drunk at 111 MPH is VERY dumb....but then to also do it in a pickup truck that is NOT small and hard to stop...as well as easier to flip...if SUPER DUMB. 

Not gonna lie though.....the part where he gives the officer his debit card and not his license made me chuckle a bit.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

debit card. Looks like he'll have a great NFL career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strike13. Show Strike13's posts

and he is still on the sox minor league roster?  this isnt summer camp.  baseball provides a salary higher than most doctors if you make it to the big leagues.  cut him now. dont have that "professional" embarassment on our team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

RS have shown pretty good judgement on when to cut bait on a player...seems this is his first transgression (at least public) and RS should let the law handle it.

If it happens again, obviously RS need to do more about it

Thankfully no one was injured due to this stupidity 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The POOL for the "BLOCKBUSTER" JUST GOT A LITTLE BIGGER...........  Bens options continue to grow  !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

imo - he should never be allowed to drive again.  mandatory jail time.

stepping off my soapbox.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff's office.

Red Sox: Spring Training 2013

As all eyes turn to Fort Myers to watch the Red Sox prepare for the season, we have you covered. Red Sox blog »

The arrest occurred at 4:42 a.m. Saturday, on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, which is adjacent to Fort Myers. According to the arrest report, Britton, who was driving a 2008 black Chevrolet Silverado (a pickup truck), was paced at a maximum speed of 111 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone. With a police car in pursuit, Britton's truck swerved in between other moving vehicles and jumped over a curb, continuing down a small decline and knocking down a barbed-wire fence, according to the police report. Britton then continued down a dirt road for a quarter of a mile and attempted to pull into a wooded area before coming to a stop. When the officer approached and asked for his license, Britton first handed him his debit card.

According to the arresting officer, Britton's breath smelled of alcohol and he had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. Britton refused a breath test, but the officer said he admitted he had been drinking. He was taken to Lee County Jail.

Cops: Sox' Britton charged; clocked at 111 mph 

Before passing judgement on this young man, what's the MPH velocity on his fastball and what kind of ERA has he shown in the minors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Driving under the influence is a big "NO".  He could have gotten many innocent people hurt or even killed.

Britton needs to pay and learn his lesson the hard way.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Dumb, dumb, dumb!!! Its one thing to see the lights and pull over. Its a completely other thing to take off putting other lives in danger trying to get away. This kid should be seeing some possible jail time and possibly looking for another team.

Its a shame too. I liked this kid as a possible LHP in the bullpen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Wow....this is a tough group.....I agree the kid was an idiot, and there will be a price to pay, but to send a 23 year old to jail for DUI, when he did not hurt anyone(and yes I know that was no more than dumb luck) is harsh. If he was one of our sons would we want to see him get jail time?....this young man can do alot more good in the community doing service and paying steep fines and continuing his minor league career than by sitting in a jail cell. Though, I do note that a quick google of FLa laws shows you can get 6-9 months of jail time for a 1st DUI offense along with fine and Community service.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This may create an opening on the Red Sox 40-man roster:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bos

Or not.

The Sox apparently used one of Drake Britton's two remaining options in sending the lefthander to Double A Portland.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Wow....this is a tough group.....I agree the kid was an idiot, and there will be a price to pay, but to send a 23 year old to jail for DUI, when he did not hurt anyone(and yes I know that was no more than dumb luck) is harsh. If he was one of our sons would we want to see him get jail time?....this young man can do alot more good in the community doing service and paying steep fines and continuing his minor league career than by sitting in a jail cell. Though, I do note that a quick google of FLa laws shows you can get 6-9 months of jail time for a 1st DUI offense along with fine and Community service.

Hello tomnev  :)

I respect your opinion but I disagree with you.  

There are a few mistakes that deserve a second chance but a mistake like DUI does not deserve a second chance.  

Again, fortunately, nobody was hurt.  But it could have been worse.  

Another mistake that does not deserve a second chance is cheating.  Scores of students at Harvard cheated in their take-home exam (Intro to Congress class) and all they got was an academic probation.  They should have been expelled.  

Britton needs to learn his lesson the hard way.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

This is a missed opportunity - the title of this thread could have been "Sox pitching prospect clocked at 111 MPH"

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

ADG is good at this.

Good at what you joker. Read the Red Sox statement.

1. He was going 111 in a 45 zone.

2. He was drunk.

3. He tried to allude police and drive away.

4. He endangered lives.

No matter how good he is, I am guessing he's gone by opening day. He's not good enough to keep around with this baggage.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD would say........  "SON, NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER DARK, AND DON'T BRING ANY OF THOSE GIRLS HOME HERE"  !!!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to selenium-'s comment:

ADG is good at this.

Good at what you joker. Read the Red Sox statement.

1. He was going 111 in a 45 zone.

2. He was drunk.

3. He tried to allude police and drive away.

4. He endangered lives.

No matter how good he is, I am guessing he's gone by opening day. He's not good enough to keep around with this baggage.

Elude. Allude=refer to.

He did something stupid. Which one of us has not done something stupid in our lives? I hope he learns from it and does not repeat the same mistake.

Sections
Shortcuts