Dream team...who is on it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Dream team...who is on it?

Williams plays LF and bats 3rd on my team.

Yaz and Pedey are on the bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Whom do I see as slam dunks on such a team?:

No discussion at all:  2B - Hornsby, CF - Mays, RF - Ruth...maybe 3B - Schmidt....plus Name - Vandelay Industrials

Little discussion:  C - Bench, 1B - Gehrig

(As ever, that seems a bit heavy on history for whatever reasons....)

P is tough....(relatively) SSS?  Pedro and Sandy, no doubt.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No discussion at all:  2B - Hornsby, CF - Mays, RF - Ruth...maybe 3B - Schmidt....plus Name - Vandelay Industrials

[/QUOTE]

Schmidt, Wagner, Hornsby, Gehrig, Bench, Williams, Mays, Ruth, Walter Johnson.  No debate.  Debates come w/ the remaining roster spots.  If you want to use a true DH, then it's Ortiz.....there's your starting 10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

roy,

Carew was never really a power hitter but could hit any pitcher anywhere, time or place.  Sandberg was the big bat at 2B.  I put my team together based on OBP, BA, SLG and who I liked best defensively at their positions that met all other criteria.  I was on the fence between Brett and Robinson at 3B because Brooks really made some great plays but wasn't the best defender at the position on paper.  Brett was a much better hitter but not a great defender.

[/QUOTE]

That's why I like Schmidt. He was better defensively at 3B than Brett and a better hitter than Robinson.

[/QUOTE]

Schmidt is a good choice too, I just can't bring myself to choosing any of the real old timers like Hornsby, Gehrig, Wagner etc. because I'm not sure how those type of players would fair in todays world.  A lot of changes since those days with a lot more quality pitching in my opinion but one could argue both sides and never really know for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Schmidt, Wagner, Hornsby, Gehrig, Bench, Williams, Mays, Ruth, Walter Johnson.  No debate.  Debates come w/ the remaining roster spots.  If you want to use a true DH, then it's Ortiz.....there's your starting 10.

[/QUOTE]

Your 9/10 is very close to mine.  But it raises the issue I touched on earlier re history:  Ignoring DH, 6 of the 9 started their careers pre-WW2, one in the early 50s, and two in the late 60s/early 70s.  Is it relevant in absolute terms? Not to me, I believe that is correct.

But in relative terms it can't be right, can it?  Imagine an NFL Dream Team....would it be dominated by history so much?  How many "historical" players might be considered slam dunks or even close?  Jimmy Brown for sure....Unitas?  Butkus?  Nagurski?  Baugh?  NBA?  Shorter history, but who before the 70s would even be in the discussion?  Russell, Robertson, Chamberlain.....but what about Pettit, Schayes, Mikan, etc?

I reckon it's that baseball was and remains so beloved and has changed so relatively little (esp. since 1920) that players from the distant past seem comparable to modern players.  Jesse Owens, Bobby Jones, Rod Laver (best-ever tennis player by far) and Joe Louis seem to get the modern nod along with baseball players....but so little respect/reverence for NBA/NFL.  Ice hockey a bit better, perhaps.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The #'s for my "givens" are so far away better than the next best guy that regardless of time period you gotta go w/ them.  And if there were ever a no doubter for a SP it's Walter Johnson.  400 Wins (2nd), 3,500 K's (I believe the first one to crack 3k).  Won 30 games 2x and 20+ games for 10 years in a row.  Had an ERA of 2.  Started 35 games every year and when he wasn't starting he pitched out of the pen on occasion (5 to 10x/yr).  Had a career WHIP of I think under 1.  Threw 300 Innings for like 10 years in a row.  300 IP.  10 times.  In a row!!!!!  80% of his starts were COMPETE GAMES.  8-0 percent.  No one will touch his career Shutouts - ever. 

In 1924 he won ~25 games, batted .400 and then won the WS by pitching a CG in G6 and then came into a tie game in the 9th in G7 and pitched 4 shut out innings to win the WS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your 9/10 is very close to mine.  But it raises the issue I touched on earlier re history:  Ignoring DH, 6 of the 9 started their careers pre-WW2, one in the early 50s, and two in the late 60s/early 70s.  Is it relevant in absolute terms? Not to me, I believe that is correct.

But in relative terms it can't be right, can it?  Imagine an NFL Dream Team....would it be dominated by history so much?  How many "historical" players might be considered slam dunks or even close?  Jimmy Brown for sure....Unitas?  Butkus?  Nagurski?  Baugh?  NBA?  Shorter history, but who before the 70s would even be in the discussion?  Russell, Robertson, Chamberlain.....but what about Pettit, Schayes, Mikan, etc?

I reckon it's that baseball was and remains so beloved and has changed so relatively little (esp. since 1920) that players from the distant past seem comparable to modern players.  Jesse Owens, Bobby Jones, Rod Laver (best-ever tennis player by far) and Joe Louis seem to get the modern nod along with baseball players....but so little respect/reverence for NBA/NFL.  Ice hockey a bit better, perhaps.

[/QUOTE]

Unitas, yes - another no brainer.   (Hey, I like Montana, Namath and Young as much as the next guy but come on.  Johnny Freakin Unitas - hands down)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

My team would be

1B- Carl Yastrzemski

2B- Dustin Pedroia

SS- Nomar Garciaparra

3B- Wade Boggs

LF- Ted Williams

CF- Fred Lynn

RF- Dwight Evans

C-  Carlton Fisk

DH- David Ortiz

SP- Pedro Martinez

SP- Roger Clemens

SP- Curl Schilling

SP- Luis Tiant

SP- Jon Lester

CL- Koji Uehera

Manager- Terry Francona

I think I will call them the Red Sox

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My team would be

1B- Carl Yastrzemski

2B- Dustin Pedroia

SS- Nomar Garciaparra

3B- Wade Boggs

LF- Ted Williams

CF- Fred Lynn

RF- Dwight Evans

C-  Carlton Fisk

DH- David Ortiz

SP- Pedro Martinez

SP- Roger Clemens

SP- Curl Schilling

SP- Luis Tiant

SP- Jon Lester

CL- Koji Uehera

Manager- Terry Francona

I think I will call them the Red Sox

[/QUOTE]

nice!  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty good .. the toughest omission is Cobb; Paige maybe too.

Sections
Shortcuts