Drew against McFarland last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Drew against McFarland last night

Just a thought:

What's the difference----------------

Drew against MacFarland--tough matchup

Ortiz against Matuz---tough matchup

Are you going to pinch hit for Ortiz or Drew in those instances????And the reason you don't is?

It seems any matchup left/ lefty is tougher because there are fewer LH pitchers. The opposing Mgr. knows it's checkmate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

RS Fireman---I agree on the money part but Morales is going to want Nap's $13M. Granted he's Switchhitter and I have liked him going back to Angels days. 

If you could get Trumbo for Doubrount knowing you have Carp and Nava as backups. He strikes out a lot and he's a west coast kid or do you go after Loney--who has proven he can hit and hit with some power plus a highly regarded fielder who is a FA.

You got me with Morales though--I like his clutch offense, and like Abreu he is from Cuba and he is a tough competitor. In addition Morales could be the heir to Ortiz's DH role in a year. 

Or do you take a one year flyer on Mark Reynolds, big K guy like Nap, or keep tabs on Youk---or has that ship sailed for good?

Lots of choices---or do you try WMB or re-sign Nap?---Choices...

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

RS Fireman---I agree on the money part but Morales is going to want Nap's $13M. Granted he's Switchhitter and I have liked him going back to Angels days. 

If you could get Trumbo for Doubrount knowing you have Carp and Nava as backups. He strikes out a lot and he's a west coast kid or do you go after Loney--who has proven he can hit and hit with some power plus a highly regarded fielder who is a FA.

You got me with Morales though--I like his clutch offense, and like Abreu he is from Cuba and he is a tough competitor. In addition Morales could be the heir to Ortiz's DH role in a year. 

Or do you take a one year flyer on Mark Reynolds, big K guy like Nap, or keep tabs on Youk---or has that ship sailed for good?

Lots of choices---or do you try WMB or re-sign Nap?---Choices...

I have seen Youk mentioned before....I think Softy said something the other day.  What about Youk has inspired anybody to want him on a 1 year deal for the Sox next year??  He's done NOTHING other than stay injured...which is why we didn't sign him for this year in the forst place!

I'm all set with Mark Reynolds too.  I like the idea of Morales but would still take Naps for less guaranteed money and more incentives due to the hip issues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hey ADG, to ease your troubled mind, if you haven't seen this:

"Well, last night was what it was," said Farrell. "Going forward, when there's maybe more of a sense of urgency with postseason situations, I'm sure that's something that Stephen and I will talk to well in advance when that situation may come up again. I'm well aware of what Stephen is doing against left-handed pitching, but there might be a time for that."

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I like Ferrell's open mind. He comes on here and reads his critics and admits he made a mistake. Seriously, propping up Drew's confidence has been so bad this season that they game the best defensive SS the Red Sox have had in about a half a century, away for the salary dumping Peavy when the Red Sox had already done the Dumpster thing and Lackey and Workman et al made this deal needless overkill that will now require trying to get rid of Dempster or Peavy. I'd get rid of Peavy this winter because his trade value might bring back a decent prospect, one grossly inferior to Iglesias and his 2013 S. Drew awesome like OPS>

Yaddayadda.  Meanwhile, Drew (hard-nosed gamer) just keeps coming up big in the clutch and the Sox keep winning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm not complaining about Drew, i like Drew.  I just see him for what he is; Drew is a 1 year mercenary.  I also acknowledge the overwhelming large probability that Xander Bogaerts is your starting SS come 2014.  anyone here who knows me knows my love and knowledge for prospects and I've been following Xander since he was in the gulf coast league 3 years ago so I'm excited.  It's as simple as that folks

Possibly you are right but what are going to do if the sox hold true to form and package Boggie away like they do most good short stops?

Seeing how you know a lot about Boggie, has he started behind Lackey yet?

[/QUOTE]

Anything can happen, no one is immovable for the rigth price....but it reeeeeeally looks like the Sox are going to hold onto Xander Bogaerts. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, Farell is a pitcher's coach and he will heavily consider who they want behind them.  That is why I asked you if Boggie has started behind Lackey. 

[/QUOTE]

Farrell is not the GM. Neither are the pitchers.  His opinion might be taken into account,  but if it was the most importsnt criteria and he was all about infield defense, the Sox would have dealt Bogaerts for Cliff Lee and nevermade the overly complicated deal for Peavy...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I like Ferrell's open mind. He comes on here and reads his critics and admits he made a mistake.

Certainly a trait you lack.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yeah all Drew does is have games last night, the difference-making 2-run homer and a triple.

The kind of game 'peashooter' Iglesias is simply incapable of having. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Meanwhile, Drew (hard-nosed gamer) just keeps coming up big in the clutch and the Sox keep winning

John Ferrell, who I now dub the minor miracle worker, has been winning with or without Drew, Ellsbury et al. "Hard nosed gamer" you can't be serious;) Cart out all the meaningless phrases. 

In reality, Drews 9.5 million to the 2013 payroll was like a golden painted toilet seat with a pure gold pricetag..

OK, I will stop carting out the 'meaningless phrase' hard-nosed-gamer if you stop carting out the meaningless phrase 'minor miracle worker'.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

With Bogaerts and Iglesias given away for a salary dump, managment has played it's hand sometime ago. Drew won't be back for 2014, and shouldn't have been here for 2013. Iglesias has proven he was the better value and fit, same OPS and Iglesias makes Drew look like a lumbering 1st baseman.

Bogaerts is still on the Sox.  Iglesias was traded for a frontline starter, Peavy.  The Sox invested a lot in Iglesias--he had a $10M minor league contract--but no doubt were worried by his abysmal hitting at Boston late last year.  A small sample, granted, but they went after Drew because there was no evidence Iglesias could hit MLB pitching.  This spring he hit well, but Drew still got the job and Iglesias went to AAA then returned because MBR wasn't hitting and Iglesias took over 3B.   In July three key things happened:  1) the Sox showed they were definitely contenders; 2) Iglesias stopped hitting; 3) Buchholz stayed on the DL with few signs of coming off.   

So, with the August 1 trade deadline, the Sox let go of one of their three viable SS's--Iglesias, Drew, and Bogaerts--to get a solid starter.  If you say Iglesias was and is still the best SS--including fielding and hitting--I won't disagree.  I would have liked to keep him too.  But Drew has fielded well and lately hit well and is certainly affordable for the Sox.   Bogaerts is a good choice for the future.  Plus Drew is on a one year contract, so he can be let go or given a QO. 

In an earlier post you point out Farrell keeps winning with or without Ellsbury, et al, but you left out one key player, Iglesias.  With Iglesias gone, the Sox have actually played better, a .622 winning percentage, without Iglesias than when he was here.   

The problem with keeping Drew isn't that he isn't capable of being a solid SS in Boston.  He has already demonstrated he can.  For one thing, his WAR is about double Iglesias's.    The problem is other teams are going to bid on him, so it's good to have Bogaerts standing in the wings. 

This thread started with a discussion of the need to pinch hit for Drew against lefties in late and close games.  Guess what? The Tigers are already doing that for Iglesias--pinch hitting for him against righties in late and close games.  This despite the fact all of us, plus the Red Sox and the Detroit Tigers, agree Iglesias right now might be the best fielding SS in MLB or close to it.  His hitting improved from last year to this and could improve again next year.  Meanwhile, it is a concern for anyone without blinders on.   That said, moonslav has made the case that Peralta will be shifted next year to make room for Iglesias to stay at SS. 

Argue all you want to, but the evidence is overwhelming that Drew was a smart investment for one year and well within the Sox 2013 budget, which is well under the luxury tax threshhold.  And, as much as I would like to have Iglesias back at SS, it is unarguable the Sox are playing better without him.  Peavy helps.  But so do Middlebrooks and Bogaerts, both of whom were in AAA when Iglesias was traded.  Drew helps too, in the field and at bat. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

People The Boston Red Sox plan on having one of thee games premier youngsters starting next year at SS.

When you have a young Phenom you start him there, yes it could not work out, perhaps he will have his struggles his first year but it's happening.

When you have a prospect as highly regarded as Xander and you have an opening it is disgustingly obvious what the organization plans on doing (refrernce Dustin Pedroia) 

Does anyone here seriously think Xander is not next years starting SS?

agree totally with you but for some reason im a little hesitant to make that final commitment...i wouldnt mind drew as infield insurance....at some point in his career, pedroia is not going to be able to play 162 games a season....sign drew 2/15 as insurance

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

People The Boston Red Sox plan on having one of thee games premier youngsters starting next year at SS.

When you have a young Phenom you start him there, yes it could not work out, perhaps he will have his struggles his first year but it's happening.

When you have a prospect as highly regarded as Xander and you have an opening it is disgustingly obvious what the organization plans on doing (refrernce Dustin Pedroia) 

Does anyone here seriously think Xander is not next years starting SS?

agree totally with you but for some reason im a little hesitant to make that final commitment...i wouldnt mind drew as infield insurance....at some point in his career, pedroia is not going to be able to play 162 games a season....sign drew 2/15 as insurance

[/QUOTE]

He's not taking $15M/2, or anything close to that, imo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I predict Drew will get a QO, turn it down, and get a big long-term contract from someone. FFS, his f_WAR is 2.8 in only 118 games (worth 13.8m dollars).

There is no way he would accept 2/15, nor would he accept a backup/insurance role.  The guy is an above average MLB SS who is still only 30 and seems to finally have recovered from his severe leg injury.

The idiotic "part-time" comments are based on a mid-season 2011 injury that ruined that season and 2012 for him.

Before his injury he'd played in 150, 152, 135 and 151 games the previous 4 season. Idiotic.

25. This post has been removed.