Drew and Papi returns imminent, who goes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Drew and Papi returns imminent, who goes?

The guess here is Carp released and Iggy to Triple A because they want him to play full time.  Other scenarios?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Drew and Papi returns imminent, who goes?

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. With Nava able to play a decent 1b in a pinch, Carp is redundant. Iggy will be back at some point. No worries.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. With Nava able to play a decent 1b in a pinch, Carp is redundant.

Can he?

I know they worked him out there during spring training. But how good was he? Carp has played more games at 1B than he has in the OF.

Nava has been a good story, but if the Sox are getting the Carp of 2011 and not the one of 2012, I'd rather have Carp.

Nava is basically a .240 hitter.  He's better against RHP but it's still just .265 career (.269 last year.)

Carp in 2011 was just as good against RHP has Nava is .266 and is better against LHP (.311). That extends the bench in that when he plays in that if he gets the start against RHP, you can still use him against lefties. Nava is useless against lefties.

Last year of course, Carp was horrible against righties but he was injured last year too. So the question -- what Carp do the Sox have, 2011 or 2012? If it's 2011 then Nava goes packing. If it's 2012, Nava might be better, although I still question the defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. With Nava able to play a decent 1b in a pinch, Carp is redundant.

Can he?

I know they worked him out there during spring training. But how good was he? Carp has played more games at 1B than he has in the OF.

Nava has been a good story, but if the Sox are getting the Carp of 2011 and not the one of 2012, I'd rather have Carp.

Nava is basically a .240 hitter.  He's better against RHP but it's still just .265 career (.269 last year.)

Carp in 2011 was just as good against RHP has Nava is .266 and is better against LHP (.311). That extends the bench in that when he plays in that if he gets the start against RHP, you can still use him against lefties. Nava is useless against lefties.

Last year of course, Carp was horrible against righties but he was injured last year too. So the question -- what Carp do the Sox have, 2011 or 2012? If it's 2011 then Nava goes packing. If it's 2012, Nava might be better, although I still question the defense.

I guess its really a toss up between the two in terms of talent. I just like Nava better and think he could fill in a 1b if need be. Hes got another option and Carp would have to be DFA'd, so I would understand if they go the route of sending Nava to AAA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Nava does have options but you don't go from startimg DH to AAA so they will probably keep him around. It could be JBJ so he keeps getting AB'a that is going to be the tough one. Iglesias will be sent down the minute Drew is healthy. At that point it is going to be up to Iglesias if he is going to be part if the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can he?

I guess its really a toss up between the two in terms of talent. I just like Nava better and think he could fill in a 1b if need be. Hes got another option and Carp would have to be DFA'd, so I would understand if they go the route of sending Nava to AAA.

I think Carp, based on 2011, has more upside offensively than Nava. But honestly, I think it should come down to who's better defensively at 1B.

You're right about the option. With Nava having the option, it is a way to keep both players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Can he?

The problem is getting him the ABs to find out which one we've got.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Can he?

Maybe that's a reason to send Nava down. Keep Carp, see what he's doing. And if he's not helping, dump him and bring back Nava.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Contrary to popular opinion or belief I think JBJ will do a stint at Pawtucket. I like his glove and attitude but I don't see him hitting any higher than he is right now at .200. I still believe he will be the CF of the future and I do like his fielding in LF.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

It could be JBJ so he keeps getting AB'a

That's not the real reason, as he's getting regulat AB's. Whaty you are stating is that Gomes becomes the starting LF'er and gets those regular AB's from that position, and you ape managment's plan of incompetence for bean counting purposes instead of playing the best players based on overall performance.

You make me laugh with managment's "can't wait for the S. Drew era to begin", and "Iggy goes down the minute Drew wipes his". Iggy has played at a high level all spring, and in NY against two good veteran pitchers. And you have the audacity to shill for managment and cart that 10 million dollar albatross/elephant to the front of the line after being terrible before he got hit in the head and being way behind where the rest of the players who played all spring are.

Drew needs to find a seat on the bench, next to Gomes, and split the DH time with Gomes to see what a big flop Drew will be. If he does well, they'll have time to look at the merits when and if Ortiz returns in a month or so.

The bean counting paint by numbers managmenet needs to be fired. I've had enough of it, it's big time losing brand baseball.  

Drew is a better player than Iglesias right now. Iglesias has a career track record of being a poor hitter. He needs to prove it. You can't expect that a guy who hasn't hit ever is going to hit after a good spring, especially when all his big hits are in the infield.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Can he?

Maybe that's a reason to send Nava down. Keep Carp, see what he's doing. And if he's not helping, dump him and bring back Nava.

Could very well be the plan!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Contrary to popular opinion or belief I think JBJ will do a stint at Pawtucket. I like his glove and attitude but I don't see him hitting any higher than he is right now at .200. I still believe he will be the CF of the future and I do like his fielding in LF.

Really? You think his batting average after three games is representative of what he'll do the rest of the season? Nevermind that the .200 doesn't come close to telling the story of what JBJ has been doing - getting on base, scoring and driving in runs, playing great D, and doing just about everything the team could want from him, IMO. He's going to be fine. Tough to see him going back down now unless he really starts to struggle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I believe all of RSN agrees that the scenario that Bill wrote is the worry. It's not about who goes. It is about who comes, Drew, Papi, or both.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You can't expect that a guy who hasn't hit ever is going to hit after a good spring

Sure you can, but if you don't, you certainly don't take an old has been like S. Drew who was 3 for 16 spring training and 3 for 19 through spring training and minor league ball for a .157 BA to be gifted a starting spot when the guy in front of him is way ahead of him and coming off an excellent spring and @ Yankees series.

Carp needs to be DFA (will likely clear waivers but who cares if he doesn't), and the 10 million dollar elephant needs to find a place on the bench and split the DH time with Gomes, until Ortiz returns. At that point, Nava's optioned should be used and they should see where S. Drew and Igleasias are. I like S. Drew in the backup 1st base and backup SS role, over Carp and Nava, if S. Drew doesn't pout about it.

S. Drew needs to play well off the bench/DH, and Iglesias needs to play is way out of the starting SS job. If Drew pouts about it, they need to begin the process of getting the bum off the roster and recalling Nava from AAA.

You can't even believe what you are posting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Can he?

I think Carp, based on 2011, has more upside offensively than Nava. But honestly, I think it should come down to who's better defensively at 1B.

You're right about the option. With Nava having the option, it is a way to keep both players.

Carp hasn't played, Nava starts against righties. Carp gets sent down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The Batting Average Guys (BAGs) better all say Bradley because he's batting .200 right now.  

ADG, aren't you a BAG?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Nava has an option left.

You don't wipe out your depth in April...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Nava has an option left.

You don't wipe out your depth in April...

Exactly. Unless Carp has an option, which I don't think he does, it would be dumb to get rid of him this early.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wrong question. Who should go?

When Drew returns, because of his 10 millon dollar contract, they need to DFA carp who will likely clear waivers but who cares if he doesn't. Nava is the backup 1st base guy and Ciriaco is the emergency OF backup if Gomes is DH'ing and they want to keep from losing the DH.  Drew will need to take a bench role by DH'ing some opposite Gomes, and seeing if he can earn the spot that Iglesias has. Iglesias outplaed S Drew, before he got hit in the head, and Iglesias has done a great job as the #9 hitter and automatic out on all but the nearly impossible plays caliber SS. I doubt Drew can earn the job, but he'll get his chance before Ortiz returns.

If Ortiz returns, that will be awhile, it's not imminent, they will need to use Nava's last option and wait and see if Ortiz doesn't break down again. During that time, Drew will need to be the backup 1st baseman if he has failed to earn the SS position after several weeks as the platoon DH'er, and several more weeks of Iggy starting at SS. If Iggy continues his play from all spring and the Yankee series, or even a fraction of his  playe work, they'll need to see if Drew is a character guy who accepts the bench role or whether he'll be a malcontent who wants to play for his next contract. If so, they'll need to "trade" Drew by writing off nearly all or, if he hits decently, a portion of his contract. They can then recall Nava.

Competent management is not what the Red Sox have, though. They use terms like "premium guy" while a young SS is performing at a high level all spring and in NY. Worst message they could send to the confidence of Iggy. Iggy should have to play his way out of the lineup before incomptent management demotes him.

Now, southpaux is the designated management shill, so take his comments with a grain of salt.

Strangely enough, I entire agree I would rather keep Iglesias and Bradley in the lineup.  I even think you can make a case they would, in addition to being a lot more fun to watch than Drew and Gomes (in LF), be more effective.

But getting Drew and Ortiz back into the lineup is the smart move for now.  Last year Ortiz was the best hitter on the club, and the second best wasn't even close.  Drew is a proven MLB bat and glove, not the disaster softlaw insists he is.  They both bat lefty on a team that doesn't have a lot of great lefty bats. 

Bradley and Iglesias now know, as the FO knows, they can contribute to the big club every day and every game.  It's only a matter of time before they return, probably for good.  As countless commentators have said, these things will work themselves out. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts